General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Textile jackets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2024 | 10:31 AM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior

Probably about September the museum will have quarterly close out sale.
I bought this jacket for 80 bucks, armor ready, all jackets of any material are 100 bucks.
we went in May and i had bought a leather jacket, my first new one since 98, we left I get down to the truck and i said man i should go get that textile jacket also, it fit well, and 100 is cheap.
Well as i walked back in, the sales people said 20% off on jackets for 15 minutes so by leaving and thinking about it I saved 20, two jackets for 180 is a deal.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paintslinger16:
Goose_NC (07-30-2024), mikefmoto (07-30-2024)
Old 07-27-2024 | 10:36 AM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I have not been to museum since around when it opened. Should make a trip.

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024 | 07:48 AM
bduds65
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rounders
I'd like nylon for abrasion. But mostly looking for more room. Toured across county in leather. And I do think it works great. But with two people I was wonder if I could save room. Or if I had to put it on rack, shed some weight.

Never seen chaps with a lining. For me chaps have been the best wind barrier. I can wear merino wool long johns and flannel jeans, but still need chaps to cut the wind.

No matter what you are wearing for jacket I suspect you need a liner. The foxcreek liner was great, but I suspect after wearing it a little bit it flattened out. Its to chinsy to buy another of.
My chaps (off the shelf Street & Steel from Cycle Gear) and my wife's (custom made by a local leather tailer) each have lining. It is not super heavy but it is a nice extra layer in addition to the actual leather. Since most of us typically wear jeans that is a good base layer to start with so even chaps with no lining would be alright for most situations. We do not ride in anything less than 50 degrees anyway.

As I mentioned with the old leather jacket with no lining, the cold cut right through that to my tee shirt and I was done. I was a dumbass and didn't even have a gator or a large, bandana to cover my face or the opening in the jacket. Live and learn. I rode enough days to work since then with cold mornings and I have gotten to know exactly how to layer based on what weather conditions.

Old 07-30-2024 | 08:03 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by Rounders
I order lots of clothes and boots on line you have so many more options. You are so limited shopping in stores. Per typical , I am little short on time, unless amazon prime has it for returns. Ill order something ad hope for best.

For jackets and shirts I can usually order my size. So mens clothes like carhartt and work wear runs big. Pants can be tougher depending on wear wait sits.

Look stupid, but this trip sticking with chaps, time and money. I have tried thermal layers, but nothing blocks the wind like leather. I would guess nylon blocks good too.
I have "Wind Blocker Fleece" from Aerostitch that is under my Darien suit. I am sure there are other out there. My layers keep me warm, or cool, with adjustment to the environment.

Old 07-30-2024 | 09:13 AM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I just bought one of these:
https://www.skullriderz.com/products...39318916366451
Fits well, and is MUCH cooler than a leather.
I'd give it 4+ stars thus far, although when putting your hand into the sleeves sometimes they catch on the pockets of the elbow pads so you can't be in a hurry to gear up.

Old 07-30-2024 | 03:35 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fatboy1389
There’s no other jacket currently available that breathes and is as protective as the Klim Marrakesh! I wear a heated liner under it on the colder days and carry a rain jacket in the event it rains…..
I'm a big Klim fan boy and I second @Fatboy1389 on the Marrakesh jacket for sure. I have a closet full of Harley branded Jackets, Joe Rocket, and Daninese (when I was skinny), and noting fits and is as comfortable as my Marrakesh Jacket. I'm 5'8" and a stupid 195 lbs so hard to find jackets that fit me. I'm a large in Klim and they fit perfect. Sleeves just a touch to long, but not way long like other brands. Matched with the Klim Marrakesh gloves, I feel WELL protected and plenty cool in the Summer and warm in the fall. In the winter temps (if you can call SF Bay winter temps cold) I wear the Klim Apex. Both of these jackets are under ~$500 new. I bought mine used on Ebay as I'm @Rounders frugal too.

Old 07-30-2024 | 05:08 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

What I wondered about the KLIM was are they more directed at warm weather. With leather, I open vents, and wear as long as I can, but it gets taken off. Going in mountains, so hot at lower elevations and possible cold at higher.

I have KLIM uninsulated for snowmobiling. But not looked for unlined jacket for un bike. Not that I can't layer like on do on sled.

Old 07-30-2024 | 05:09 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 07UltraGuy
I just bought one of these:
https://www.skullriderz.com/products...39318916366451
Fits well, and is MUCH cooler than a leather.
I'd give it 4+ stars thus far, although when putting your hand into the sleeves sometimes they catch on the pockets of the elbow pads so you can't be in a hurry to gear up.
Bought OL one last year. She hasn't really worn alot. I was thinking might be good for inbetween weather. Around here usually cool enough at night you want something.

Old 07-30-2024 | 06:03 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member

30 years of jackets/gear, think I have enough for now, leather, mesh, textile, Aerostitch (blue one), Klim, and heated liners/gloves.

There is an old Harley leather jacket in there from 1973, does not fit anymore but has good memories that go with it.

Am able to ride from 95 + down to 35 degrees, could ride when colder; however, road conditions may not be good and I'm old so do not ride below 40 degrees and usually not hotter than 85 degrees.

May have to have a garage sale, then buy me some new gear.

Aerostitch Darienis 15 years old with the fleece liner. Don't think they make the blue color anymore.
https://www.aerostich.com/suits/dari...en-jacket.html
https://www.aerostich.com/suits/dari...pro-liner.html

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 07-30-2024 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-30-2024 | 08:13 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
30 years of jackets/gear, think I have enough for now,
I went to Artic Circle in chaps and leather jacker. I am hoping to make things more compact. Also going to buy tourpak rack bag. I have always cobblled tother stuff. Criss crossibg bungee cords, plus worried about weight.

I even bought rickrack his and hers tourpak liners. I stayed away from saddle bag liners cause you normally have stuff in there. We always used various bags. But those left voids.

I am usually a tight ***, I see it both ways. Sometimes you can buy generic stuff cheaper. But sometimes purpose built stuff is better.

I shot my first buck at 14 and have some of that gear. I like the nostaligia of my costume, pulling it out every year. Sometimes I would buy something little every year though. Something new. I really have not done that with bike stuff.

Quick Reply: Textile jackets?