General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Textile jackets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024 | 10:48 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rounders
Been thinking about textile jacket for touring. Any recommendations. Do you still use rain gear over it? I don't see myself spending over $500, more in 300ish if I can. Maybe regret not going more. But the aerostich for $750 are more than I want to spend.

Was hoping to get more compact for storage, not sure if that happens since they physically as big as leather, two arms and a back. Would still be lighter for strapping on tourpak rack.

Are you doing unlined and wearing layers? Zipout lining? For leathers I am not huge fan of zip out liners. But those are kind of chinsy liners. Though they work for awhile. Mailed mine home from Alaska. I got one leather, I just leave it, and wear spring and fall.

Pockets for gun would be nice.
There are several what appear to be slightly used FXRG jackets in the EE for reasonable monies if you are thinking of trying out what might be best for you.
I have bought two over the years for less than 1/3 the cost of a new one (textile) FXRG and they wear well and comfortable.
No gun pocket to speak of though, but thats were a LiL Al's vest comes in .
And yes, I do wear some light rain gear over the jacket when it is really coming down.
By that time though I am thinking of calling it a day by then.
Rob

Old 07-26-2024 | 11:04 AM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior

There’s no other jacket currently available that breathes and is as protective as the Klim Marrakesh! I wear a heated liner under it on the colder days and carry a rain jacket in the event it rains…..

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024 | 03:07 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!

Originally Posted by Rounders
I suppose with cell phones the size guns, it may be foolish question. My first leather had no inside pockets. Some vests have beefy pockets for guns, done don't

My KLIM jacket for snowmobile wouldnt be good for gun.
Klim jacket for sled, why not Klim textile for riding? Same high quality, albeit at a price. Armor is removable if you don't want to use it.

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (07-30-2024)
Old 07-26-2024 | 04:17 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

So what are you actually looking for @Rounders ? Just something you can squash down small and carry while traveling in case it gets cold? If all you want is something warm that squashes small with no body protection, get a cheap puffy jacket from walmart.

Old 07-26-2024 | 05:20 PM
ahhlou
Road Master

I tend to tour a lot. That means it goes from super hot to super cold. To start, a loose fitting mesh jacket with armor with a removable shell for cooler temps. My choice is Joe Rocket Alter Ego but there are others.

I also use the HD rain jacket and pants. They keep you dry for hours but nothing is perfect. I also use Gore-Tex hiking boots to keep the feet dry and comfortable. Layers for warmth when necessary.

I carry multiple gloves as all gloves get wet eventually. I prefer motocross gloves. No gun, Canadian, eh. This outfit packs light and can keep me comfortable from the 30's to over 100...

Last edited by ahhlou; 07-26-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-26-2024 | 06:28 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
So what are you actually looking for @Rounders ? Just something you can squash down small and carry while traveling in case it gets cold? If all you want is something warm that squashes small with no body protection, get a cheap puffy jacket from walmart.
I'd like nylong for abrasion. But mostly looking for more room. Toured across county in leather. And I do think it works great. But with two people I was wonder if I could save room. Or if I had to put it on rack, shed some weight.
Originally Posted by bduds65
Yeah lining is important with leather. First year riding, I purchased a 50s style double breasted jacket from a guy for $20. I think he was desperate but it was a cool jacket and the price was right.

I have also wondered if I can skip rain gear. I am getting impression you may be able to leave it off longer or be ok for light rain depending on gear?

We went to OC for the bike rally - 200 miles away, so about 4-5 hours depending on traffic. The weather was great all weekend but only in the 60s coming home on Sunday. I had no sweatshirt and only a very lightweight tee shirt under my un-lined leather jacket. So when the leather became cold, I was cold. I do the same with chaps. If I see a need for chaps in the first place, there is no reason to remove the liner.
Never seen chaps with a lining. For me chaps have been the best wind barrier. I can wear merino wool long johns and flannel jeans, but still need chaps to cut the wind.

No matter what you are wearing for jacket I suspect you need a liner. The foxcreek liner was great, but I suspect after wearing it a little bit it flattened out. Its to chinsy to buy another of.

Last edited by Rounders; 07-26-2024 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-26-2024 | 06:31 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Klim jacket for sled, why not Klim textile for riding? Same high quality, albeit at a price. Armor is removable if you don't want to use it.
I think the KLIM is fine and is very popular. Has not nice features. I am not sure it is the only jacket. When I went on there site most of the motorcycle jackets seemed geared to enduro and warm weather.

I guess question is do I need a liner? I mailed my liner home from Alaska I got tired of taking in and out so much. Zip up hoodie is easiest but bulky. I have merino wool base layers which may be the way to go. OL might not want to take those on and off on the side of the road.

One problem is, what ever I pick, it won't be tested in cold before I go.

Old 07-26-2024 | 06:38 PM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mikefmoto
I know you may not want to spend a lot on high-end gear, but, as the saying goes, "buy once, cry once."
es.
This is a popular saying to justify big purchases, and is true and it is not. There is diminishing returns, Sure you may have some neat features on higher end stuff. I have been looking at higher end guns, hunters like to say this too. But remingtons have killed more deer than CWD.

Spending a grand on jacket, just doesn't suit who I am. Not that I have not spent $$$ on things I have justified at times. I have wondered if I should go a little nicer, because if I like it I will wear it alot.

One person here saying $800 for 5 years, really seems awful to me. Sure you rationalize it 800/5. But pulling that much money out of my pocket, is something I am slow to do.

My buddies who do snowmobile alot, I hear do go through gear, say seems go bad starts leaking. I get that it is a tool that you use and it wears

Old 07-27-2024 | 05:57 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

A piece of cool/cold weather gear I've come to love is my snug fleece pullover. It's a running type, so no hoodie, and it is snug. It does a way better job of keeping me warm than it should, all without cooking me or being all sweaty. Pretty sure it's a Target house brand or such, it's certainly not an expensive name brand. It's my all day wear for cool weather riding.

Old 07-27-2024 | 06:02 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member

First on the list would be Aerostich, second Klim. Buy the best and you will have it forever. My Roadcrafter is twenty years old and still in great condition

The following 3 users liked this post by TracerBullet:
Calif Fat Bob (07-30-2024), mikefmoto (07-27-2024), rick601 (07-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Textile jackets?