General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Textile jackets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024 | 10:44 AM
bduds65
Road Master

I have a number of jackets. Basically one for most situations or weather conditions. Leather with a liner insulation (never removed since it is a PITA) for cold weather. Textile for cool weather. This jacket is rather heavy with armor so it would be something I would wear all day. Taking it off takes up most of the saddle bag. Flannel shirt with armor for cool weather. Lightweight flannel shirt with extended sleeves for borderline cool weather. <--Maybe 70 degrees or so but riding takes it down 10 and/or the actual air is cool; cloudy days. I do also have a mesh jacket. That is much like the flannels when I need just a little something. That is nice at night since there is reflective stuff stitched in the back. I have a sweatshirt with thumb holes to keep my sleeves in place. I wear that underneath any of the jackets. I have a fleece vest that I use to layer if required. I mix & match and layer as needed. I look ahead at the temps for the day and where we're going.

That said, I do have rain gear that I take when needed. It does get hot over any jacket and jeans so I use it as a last resort. We'll try to pull over and/or look for shelter and wait it out if possible. My friends are fair-weather riders so we'll choose days or long weekends when the weather looks the best. If the rain duration is short, I might only use the rain jacket and not the pants.

I am one to try things on in person. I cannot purchase online unless I have already have that item and it is a second or third time purchase. HD clothes are expensive. I would check out Cycle Gear. That is where I purchased my textile jacket. It was black and now very faded to a grey. Worn but still in great condition. The only thing to be aware of is with Cycle Gear they typically carry European jackets and the zipper is on the "wrong" side.

Last edited by bduds65; 07-25-2024 at 10:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024 | 10:46 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member

I have one of the original FXRG textile jackets I got in 2009. I estimate she's got 250,000 mles or so on her. A couple times a year I spray it with Camp Dry for performance fabrics and it still keeps me dry and won't be wearing out anytime soon.. Before that I had a First Gear Kenya that I liked, but it was kind of garish on the design. Aerostitch is probably considered the best, but like the Klim it is pricey.

The following 3 users liked this post by Tortoise98:
Calif Fat Bob (07-25-2024), Goose_NC (07-25-2024), mikefmoto (07-26-2024)
Old 07-25-2024 | 06:56 PM
cobra23
Road Captain

Harley has several textile jackets available that you can add armor to if you want. Revzilla has tons of textile jackets at all price points. If you buy one and don't like it it is easy to return.

https://www.revzilla.com/v-twin-crui...st_seller&fit=

Old 07-25-2024 | 07:06 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by cobra23
Harley has several textile jackets available that you can add armor to if you want. Revzilla has tons of textile jackets at all price points. If you buy one and don't like it it is easy to return.

https://www.revzilla.com/v-twin-crui...st_seller&fit=
The "Harley" textiles quality and cost can be easily beat by many vendors.

Old 07-26-2024 | 07:12 AM
bduds65
Road Master

Yep, I get it. Returns are easy these days. You just need a good printer, a means to ship it (UPS Store or Post Office etc) nearby and time to do it. Personally I like the thrill of trying it on in the store and having that "F**k yeah, this fits nicely! It's mine!" moment and take it home right then and there. I had that with my very soft leather jacket a few years ago. It was $200 off and fit perfectly. I still smile when I put it on. Weird I know. Whatever...

Don't get me wrong; it was a Harley leather jacket, even with $200 off it was still expensive. I try not to think about that part of the sale.

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024 | 07:39 AM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

I order lots of clothes and boots on line you have so many more options. You are so limited shopping in stores. Per typical , I am little short on time, unless amazon prime has it for returns. Ill order something ad hope for best.

For jackets and shirts I can usually order my size. So mens clothes like carhartt and work wear runs big. Pants can be tougher depending on wear wait sits.

Look stupid, but this trip sticking with chaps, time and money. I have tried thermal layers, but nothing blocks the wind like leather. I would guess nylon blocks good too.

Old 07-26-2024 | 08:00 AM
Rounders
|
Seasoned HDF Member

seems a bit of the KLIM stuff is uninsulated without liners. My snowmobile jacket is unlined but I was thinking of something with a liner cause I'll probably just take it off when hot.

Old 07-26-2024 | 08:37 AM
bduds65
Road Master

Yeah lining is important with leather. First year riding, I purchased a 50s style double breasted jacket from a guy for $20. I think he was desperate but it was a cool jacket and the price was right.

We went to OC for the bike rally - 200 miles away, so about 4-5 hours depending on traffic. The weather was great all weekend but only in the 60s coming home on Sunday. I had no sweatshirt and only a very lightweight tee shirt under my un-lined leather jacket. So when the leather became cold, I was cold. I do the same with chaps. If I see a need for chaps in the first place, there is no reason to remove the liner.

Old 07-26-2024 | 10:26 AM
mikefmoto
Cruiser

I know you may not want to spend a lot on high-end gear, but, as the saying goes, "buy once, cry once."

I have a lot of riding gear, closets for of every type imagineable. I used to be in the business of selling gear (cheaper gear). The best spends were for my Aerostich suit and my HD FXRG gear. They have been through multiple cross country trips in all kinds of weather and have taken a beating. Stich gear will last 20+ years. I have FXRG pants and leather jacket; they're no longer made, unfortunately. Probably because they were too expensive and didn't sell well, but well worth it. Water proof leather jacket and textile pants. The jacket came in a textile version and leather version, I opted for the leather version. It has been the best riding gear I've owned. I ride with people who have Klim gear and they've had issues with leaking but Klim replaced them under warranty.

I would say buy the best you can afford. You may want to look for a used Stich. Hardly-used Stich jackets and suits are out there for good prices.

Old 07-26-2024 | 10:39 AM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Default Layere

Regardless of outer jacket material, if you layer nothing will be too hot or not warm enough. And I still use leather chaps as final overlay. Road debris and grime is easily removed on trips end. Good rain gear also aids in staying warm along with dry.

Quick Reply: Textile jackets?