General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When the Thrill is Gone from Riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2024, 10:41 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
Okay, what do you do when the thrill of motorcycle riding is gone?

I still enjoy riding but the thrill seems to have gone by the wayside as I am 70 years old, have owned, ridden, maintained, and repaired 20 or so motorcycles over my 55 years of riding.

Have owned cursers, sport go fast bikes, dirt bikes, adventure bikes, geezer glides, and a trike, etc. and ridden them like they should be ridden.

Have rode most all of the road’s multiple times within a 150-mile radius surrounding me, and explored covered bridges, historical places, bars, and restaurants.

Have taken 500-mile trips and probably have some more to take.

The motivation just does not seem to be there like it used to.

Age?

Familiarity with roads/motorcycles?

I can and have all the equipment I need, all the motorcycle clothing that is required and then some.

So, any of you in the same boat? Need suggestions on how to light the spark under my ***.

I am generally a solo rider as I like to do my own thing. My one friend/riding partner quit riding and sold his motorcycles, he was an enthusiast (for about 5 years) but not a biker like I am.

My wife likes riding on the back of the Trike once in a while, but she is not into motorcycles like I am.

I have the correct mix of bikes for me (see signature) for any type of riding I want.

Always looking at Craigslist for an interesting bike to fixup, but none have peaked my fancy lately.

Or do I just sit on my *** and read HDF? LOL.

All input is welcome.
Ive been thinking about this since you posted it. I just cancelled, actually postponed a ride until fall. My wife has sciatic nerve issues and it’s very painful for her to get on or off my bike. Therefore, I’ll take off in September and see if I can see a few friends. Black hills a must, glacier and Yellowstone are not so important anymore, but that late in the season they may be fun again.

Now to your question. I’m 77 and our riding histories not too different. I did stop in a marriage, kids, RVs, boats, fishing, hunting, competitive shooting just took up too much of my time. Fortunately for me, a divorce let me focus again.

My enjoyment has waxed and waned, but that was usually day rides as I have always been excited about touring. 5 day’s minimum, a month is about the max. A few years ago, I thought my bike was getting too heavy for me. I was 75, I weight 165, and with my wife bouncing around pointing out parking places, etc., I was feeling the current bike was too big for me. Then I met a gal, about 30, 5’4”, 120# soaking wet ( a guess!) riding her lowered ultra. All of a sudden it dawned on me that I was getting lazy, believing my inherent strength could hold up where poor riding techniques had taken over. I started riding smarter and more relaxed. It helped.

I doubt my wife will ride again, maybe a long weekend ride with friends, but no more. We’ve been alll over the USA together, but that’s in the past and I need to move on and plan solo rides. A week, 10 days. I modified my bike to carry golf clubs, so maybe I’ll make it a golf challenge ride. I haven’t played Bandon Dunes for a while, my BIL in Oklahoma wants to play. In short, I’ll find a new reason to ride.

The planning seems to be more labor intensive, but when riding, condition yellow, relaxed but aware, my world, my health, my issues all get better. Those insolvable issues all have answers when I finally get home.

Im no longer interested in restoring a bike. I let much of my equipment go when I retired. I enjoy the maintenance, but frame powder coating and rebuilds is over for me. I’ve been restoring golf clubs. Don’t laugh, it keeps me happy.

In the end, it really doesn’t matter to anyone but you. My best friend and traveling companion for years retired and moved 2000 miles away. He’s happy, they just left for visiting us, but he’ll probably sell his bike within the year. I’ll always have a sporty, sort of a visit to my therapy session ride. I expect to ride that until I’m 90 or more.

Reading is okay, especially in winter around here. Just be careful, sitting is a way to start dieing. Find a new passion. You’ve got time, don’t rush into something. Use this time to explore new avenues. You might end up back right on your saddle. The future is yours to determine.

The following 3 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
CoolBreeze3646 (07-25-2024), Highway Handler (07-24-2024), Notgrownup (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 08:32 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,709 Likes on 2,774 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
I doubt my wife will ride again, maybe a long weekend ride with friends, but no more. We’ve been alll over the USA together, but that’s in the past and I need to move on and plan solo rides. A week, 10 days. I modified my bike to carry golf clubs, so maybe I’ll make it a golf challenge ride. I haven’t played Bandon Dunes for a while, my BIL in Oklahoma wants to play. In short, I’ll find a new reason to ride.
Ok... Pics? As an avid golfer, I'm very curious what you did to mod your bike to carry golf clubs.

Old 07-25-2024, 08:37 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,811 Likes on 19,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Oko
There are far better options.

Like a mistress!
May cost more ( indubitably ) then the HD affliction

The following users liked this post:
Stiggy (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 11:47 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by jamala00
Ok... Pics? As an avid golfer, I'm very curious what you did to mod your bike to carry golf clubs.
I just looked and while I took a couple of photos years ago when I did it, I must have deleted them after showing them to my friend. That said, I’ll take another within the next week of so when I play an away game.

It was easy for me as my Harley touring bike has saddlebag guards and a trunk. I remove the right side bag, I have a mid weight golf bag that slides into the cage formed by the saddlebag guards and I buckle it to the tour pack rack. Wrap a towel around the irons, and snap the weather top on. It leans forward, about as far forward as where my wife’s head might be and off to the side. So it’s out of the way, secure, and fast.

It works with my rack and sissy bar, but the attachment is much lower so I prefer the trunk rack to secure it. If I did not have saddlebag guards, I’d have to secure the bottom of the bag to the saddlebag support bar. Not difficult, but more time consuming.

I took golf clubs all the way to Alaska and back several years ago. Played in the Yukon and the most northerly PGA course in Fairbanks. No issue except a slight mark on the tour pack that disappeared when I put some wax on it. My piece of pipe foam on the rack departed somewhere near Banff on the way home. I’ll wire tie it on next month trip.

Oh, one point, my bag has thinner pockets on the side towards the bike, all the other stuff fits in the back pockets or other larger side pockets.

I’ll look again for a photo and will find this post and add a photo of my setup then or when I take one. I’ve got a cart that I drive to my regular course, so I only take the bike for away games.

jamala00 (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 12:06 PM
flh canuck
Tourer
Received 280 Likes on 142 Posts

Have been riding street bikes for over 40 years. Crashed my Ultra Limited last year. Fortunately the wife escaped with some nasty bruising but I broke my collar bone. Thought I was done with motorcycle riding after that incident and the wife definitely was. I was tired of riding the Ultra as it was just too big and heavy, plus with the wife no longer wanting to ride, I didn't need such a large machine. Sold the Ultra after it was fixed and bought a Crossbones Springer as I thought it would be good enough for local riding (and it is). My shoulder took a long time to heal up and when I finally got back on a motorcycle, I was struck by how much I missed riding. Clearly absence (forced in my case) makes the heart grow fonder. There is still nothing out there for me that comes close to heading down the highway and being in the wind.

Long story short, I decided I needed a touring bike again as I was wanting to ride longer distances again and the Crossbones is only good for a few hours riding. Recently picked up a low mileage 2017 Road King Standard and it ticks all the boxes for me. Just got back from a three day ride and can't wait to get back out there again. It can happen where we start to lose interest in things we love, especially as we get older.

In my case, I went from thinking about giving up motorcycling a year ago to now having two Harleys in the garage and I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by flh canuck; 07-25-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-25-2024, 12:28 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,248 Likes on 1,779 Posts

Rivco makes a rack that mounts behind tire. I think they might even have pic of golf clubs. Made in WI. I used one when I went to Alaska for my rain gear and other things

Myself, id rather have daughter that's a *****, than a son that is golfer

Old 07-25-2024, 12:44 PM
Rocking_it
Road Master
Received 1,287 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders

What an asinine thing to say.

The following 6 users liked this post by Rocking_it:
CoolBreeze3646 (07-25-2024), gonemad (07-25-2024), M Oclaf (07-25-2024), panheadache (07-25-2024), Stiggy (07-25-2024), Uncle Larry (07-25-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-25-2024, 01:01 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,858 Likes on 7,588 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocking_it
What an asinine thing to say.
Just shows the type of person he is, engages mouth before brain.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 07-25-2024 at 02:25 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
M Oclaf (07-25-2024), Uncle Larry (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 02:01 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rounders
Rivco makes a rack that mounts behind tire. I think they might even have pic of golf clubs. Made in WI. I used one when I went to Alaska for my rain gear and other things

Yeah, odd thing to say, but at 75 and retired, it’s a healthy activity for my broken back and hip, but most of all it’s the guys I play with every week. All retired, all 70-80’s, all walks of life. You can poopoo it, post a photo of your daughter and your son’s handicap, and we’ll decide if there’s any teeth to your claim.

This, while said in fun, but many here will respond if you post the above.

Also, keeps me in shape for archery, muzzleloading, and modern seasons just around the corner.

M Oclaf (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 02:09 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,802 Likes on 2,677 Posts
Default That is amazing!

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Yeah, odd thing to say, but at 75 and retired, it’s a healthy activity for my broken back and hip, but most of all it’s the guys I play with every week. All retired, all 70-80’s, all walks of life. You can poopoo it, post a photo of your daughter and your son’s handicap, and we’ll decide if there’s any teeth to your claim.

This, while said in fun, but many here will respond if you post the above.

Also, keeps me in shape for archery, muzzleloading, and modern seasons just around the corner.
You’re out golfing with a broken back AND hip, FN iron man!!

Quick Reply: When the Thrill is Gone from Riding