General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inflation..wtf

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2024, 10:43 AM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,735 Likes on 2,787 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
Do it yourself, but if you can`t, find an independent shop.

Paying a dealership service department to change oil is throwing money away.
This isn't always true. I used to take my bike in here/there to an Indy here in town. Good guy... don't get me wrong.... but he was no cheaper then taking my bike into any of the 3 local HD shops here. It was more convenient because he was right down the road from me, but his prices were the same as the local HD shop. Indy doesn't always mean less expensive or better.

Old 07-18-2024, 10:48 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 21,937 Likes on 7,607 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
I'm not sure where you take your bike in for service, but I actually just got my bike back from the local HD Shop. I had them do the 3 hole oil change since it was in there for other things. $185 for the oil, chrome filter, and the labor.
Looks like you found out what some dealers charge. I expect the rate is different depending on what part of the country you are in.

I do my own service so my labor cost for draining and changing all the fluids is: $0.00.

In addition I also check all the other stuff required and know the job is done correctly, unlike some of the dealer service people. I know my bike better than the dealer personnel.

Yes it pays to shop around; however, I would be willing to pay a little more if I knew a specific mechanic or dealer put out quality work.

The following users liked this post:
Addicted to Chaos (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 10:48 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,198 Likes on 3,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Germansheperd
Stinger HD in Medina, OH
So named because they make you feel the sting of **** penetration sans lube

Old 07-18-2024, 11:04 AM
BatFoy
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

True. I pulled my wheels and brought them to a local guy to install tires I bought online. 35.00 each.

Old 07-18-2024, 11:41 AM
HD_noobie
Road Master
Received 551 Likes on 290 Posts

Stinger HD in Medina, OH
Great that's my dealer, bought my bike from them.
Never in for service doesn't sound like I will

jamala00 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 12:13 PM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 878 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
Damb.... So just to make a bit of a correction... I just called them and talked to service. ( I was honestly just curious) The price they gave you is a "Full Service" (Oil Change") They claim they go over the entire bike... (Whatever). I said, no... I just want the cost of a 3 hole oil change. Drop the fluids and put new fluid and filter. $380.00! Holy... Fu*&^^... I told them I can't believe they have anyone bring their bike in. He said they charge $135/hour for labor, it takes them 2.5 hours, + the supplies and miscellaneous shop costs... That just blows my mind if people are actually bringing their bikes into that shop and paying $380 for a freaking OIL CHANGE....
Dude I told ya. I honestly LOL’d on the phone. They have the luxury of being in Medina, OH (Medina County as well). Most all Republican Boomers and kids. If you have a high paying or retired from a high paying union job from Cleveland you live in Medina. If you are a blue professional in Cleveland you live in Medina.
Hence the customers have money and flop for whatever they tell them because nobody wants to go to that cesspool Cleveland (your Milwaukee that is a dump too).
I’d pay more say at Appleton HD vs going to Milwaukee.
If they weren’t in Medina they’d never make it.
I may be outrageous at times but don’t make **** up.

jamala00 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 12:14 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HD_noobie
I called them... Do yourself a favor and shop around for an Indy. If I was you... I'd also call them and tell them you just seen this info on this forum and want to know if it's true. I mean.. It's true, I called and verified, but maybe if enough people call them out they'll change something. It certainly can't hurt.

Old 07-18-2024, 12:14 PM
Germansheperd
Road Warrior
Received 878 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_noobie
They aren’t bad people actually pretty decent but you will have a vacuum hose in your wallet.

jamala00 (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 12:22 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member

Dude I told ya. I honestly LOL’d on the phone. They have the luxury of being in Medina, OH (Medina County as well). Most all Republican Boomers and kids. If you have a high paying or retired from a high paying union job from Cleveland you live in Medina. If you are a blue professional in Cleveland you live in Medina.
Hence the customers have money and flop for whatever they tell them because nobody wants to go to that cesspool Cleveland (your Milwaukee that is a dump too).
I’d pay more say at Appleton HD vs going to Milwaukee.
If they weren’t in Medina they’d never make it.
I may be outrageous at times but don’t make **** up.
Oh... I'm not saying you made **** up... I'm not saying I wasn't skeptical that maybe there was a misunderstanding, but damb... You were spot on. I like how they make up their own service for a 3 hole oil change... "Full Service Oil Change". I said, what does that mean and then I got into a good 20 minute phone call with them telling them what I honestly thought. ( I know it didn't matter, but whatever I still did) They are ripping people off, but ya, if there are people like you say that pay it without blinking.. Well then I guess who can blame them.

Now you got me thinking, I should call like Wisconsin HD in Milwaukee and see what they charge. I know as far as bikes go, I can get a better deal at Wisconsin HD then Appleton HD. I can't complain to much at all with the dealers here. (Appleton HD, Docs HD, OpenRoad HD, Vandervest HD). They are all fairly close to me and all decent dealers. I get they have to keep the lights on, pay employees, health insurance... etc.. but man... $380 for a freaking 3 hole oil change...

Germansheperd (07-18-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 01:27 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

i would suspect that the reason that they charge $380 for just an oil change is because they don't want to do just an oil change. that's their 'we don't really want to do it, but if you're willing to pay that much, then we'll oblige you' price. why pay $380 for just a change when for $500 (or so) you can get the full service?

also, i wouldn't call the $136 quoted in the first post as 'inflation'. that dealer is charging quite a bit more than msrp for the oil/filter. that's just plain greed.

Quick Reply: Inflation..wtf