General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid life crisis, kids, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 09:00 PM
07UltraGuy
Grand HDF Member

Received 6,141 Likes on 2,206 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
I think the people pointing out your mid-life crisis are having one of their own, 'cuz they ain't got a Harley.
I suspect that if I didn't have the Harley, I'd do some really stupid and wasteful **** with my money & time.

Old 07-16-2024, 09:03 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
You should be more like Rounders.
Originally Posted by Tommy C
People like Rounders.
That’s twice…..say it one more time and see what happens….

The following 2 users liked this post by dawg:
elPrez (07-17-2024), Oko (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 09:22 PM
TexasScooterTrash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,372 Likes on 841 Posts

So yer having a Mid Life Crisis . . .BFD!!! ENJOY IT. Mine hit me at 50. Riding since age of 15, Owner of Sole Proprietor Business and did not recognize that person I called my wife. DIVORCE was final the day before what would have been the 30th Anniversary. It's only cost me $165,000 to say Bye, Bye and well worth every penny of it. NOBODY gave me any S*^T because they knew her. LIFE GOES ON!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2024, 10:00 PM
wztravis
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap77
Like others, I'm not one to much GAS what others think

but I'm curious..
you gave up much because family/parental responsibilities were more important
what changed 2 years ago when you bought another bike?

I'm also curious who are the ones talking midlife (and why) ******* you enough that it bums you out?

..L.T.A.
I'll tell you what happened. I realized I gave up TOO much. Too much of myself. I realized I have enough time to go cruising for an hour twice a week. I don't have enough time to enjoy the other things really. Music and hotrods was a colassal time commitment. Sure, I'd like to ride more miles but some riding is still fun and relaxing.

The following 3 users liked this post by wztravis:
Buelligan666 (07-17-2024), Cap77 (07-17-2024), WP50 (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 04:08 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Well, I never did the wife and kids thing because I found it too stifling and boring a lifestyle, having seen all my friends go through it and really being miserable. If a relationship doesn't work out, I need to be able to leave as I don't put up with any crap from a woman.
I still have my toys, still play in bands even at my age, and still engaging in coitus all be it not as often as when I was younger. I find the juice ain't worth the squeeze anymore.
never been accused of having a midlife crisis, but many people have told me that I live in the past. Which is basically true, as I listen to older music, have 60s style, even my home is all done in 60s and 50s retro furniture and appointments. ( I actually did a post a few years back on my retro looking home interior)
yeah I guess I do live in the past. Mainly because what the hell is so damn good about the present?

The following 2 users liked this post by dickey:
GBHH (07-17-2024), Tommy C (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 05:51 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,884 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Playing in a band, riding, wrenching rods is not a midlife crisis. I'm 62... when I had kids in my 30s I stopped riding for a few years because funds were tight as wasfree time. I never stopped playing in a band and I never sold my vintage vette. A midlife crisis is screwing a 20 year old, quitting your job, etc.. tell your friends they're idiots and stay out of your vision.

Old 07-17-2024, 07:42 AM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 808 Posts

Sorta in the same boat, just turned 40 last week. Wife and I are DINKS so no kids and we've both got our advanced degrees so we've got time and money to use how we see fit, and that rubs people wrong because we're not taking the same path in life as they are. We travel internationally frequently (just got back from a diving vacation in Honduras and now planning a Christmas getaway to Switzerland), spend a lot on our various hobbies and occasionally get comments about how all that money could be spent raising a family. Usually I reply asking how their Wiggles concert was trying to appease ungrateful little ***** that'll stick you in a nursing home the first chance they get once you turn into an inconvenience for them. That usually shuts them up quick.

The following 2 users liked this post by ThePaintPirate:
603Hog (07-17-2024), Tommy C (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 09:11 AM
603Hog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,157 Likes on 1,507 Posts

Originally Posted by ThePaintPirate
Sorta in the same boat, just turned 40 last week. Wife and I are DINKS so no kids and we've both got our advanced degrees so we've got time and money to use how we see fit, and that rubs people wrong because we're not taking the same path in life as they are. We travel internationally frequently (just got back from a diving vacation in Honduras and now planning a Christmas getaway to Switzerland), spend a lot on our various hobbies and occasionally get comments about how all that money could be spent raising a family. Usually I reply asking how their Wiggles concert was trying to appease ungrateful little ***** that'll stick you in a nursing home the first chance they get once you turn into an inconvenience for them. That usually shuts them up quick.
Same here. I'm about to turn 53, my wife is 55, and we are DINKS also. I never wanted a kid. My wife didn't really want any either. At the age we met and got married (We married 9 years ago, been together for 13 years), that ship had sailed anyway. We both make enough money to comfortably afford some extras. We do a lot of travel overseas, we are going to Greece for two weeks this fall. Two week Alaskan land tour/Alaskan cruise next summer. I occasionally get the "Must be nice" comment. I usually reply "Yes, it is" or "Sounds like you are jealous." We spent a lot of years when we were younger working crap jobs, with long hours, finally working our way up to the jobs, and pay, we have now. So we EARNED it. Point being, like many here have stated, I do not GAF about what anyone thinks. Most people annoy the **** out of me, so I am pretty much a loner, and I like it that way. Way less drama in my life that way, in fact, the drama level is zero.

To the OP, enjoy your bike. And keep strumming those guitars, even if it is just for you and your family's enjoyment. And hit the firing range once in a while. I find time on the range to be cathartic. It sounds like you've earned it as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by 603Hog:
ThePaintPirate (07-17-2024), Tommy C (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 10:08 AM
Taxgod4u
Road Warrior
Received 1,296 Likes on 588 Posts

It is only a crisis if the payments are killing you.

Old 07-17-2024, 10:15 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 551 Likes on 350 Posts

Since you were doing all those cool things before, that does not qualify as a midlife crisis. That would only really be if you started some or all of those things now and without warning. We all make sacrifices in the best interest of our families. We put our lives and our personal interests on hold for years. Sometimes 15-20 or more until they are done with high school or college and we are done being a taxi service and can afford some self indulgence. Honestly I am surprised you were able to jump back into a bike so quickly.

Yeah, many years ago I purchased a gorgeous red Pontiac Firebird with a kick-a** stereo, T-tops, extra fat tires and AR wheels. It was textbook mid-life crisis. I did sell it because it was in need of paint and some mechanical work - being 20 years old at the time. However, had it not needed any of those things and/or I had the spare cash to do the "repairs" I'd still have that car. Was it still a midlife crisis? Perhaps. Do I GAF what people thought? Nope.

As for the 3 current motorcycles in my garage....That is a hobby that my wife and I enjoy and will continue as long as we are physically able. In fact it was her idea to begin riding at 45 years old. So perhaps bikes are her midlife crisis and I am just tagging along? hmm

The following users liked this post:
WP50 (07-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Mid life crisis, kids, etc.