General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro-Action disappointment

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 08:54 AM
strokelessone
Tourer

Received 206 Likes on 127 Posts

He tends to ship them a little on the stiff side, make sure you take the little wrench they include in the box to adjust them.

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 07:33 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 559 Posts

Guess what showed up today!

The following users liked this post:
keener3rd (07-20-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 07:37 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member

Originally Posted by strokelessone
He tends to ship them a little on the stiff side, make sure you take the little wrench they include in the box to adjust them.
The bumper on the right shock is about a 1/4" from bottoming out. The left side bumper is all the way down. After my first ride.

After watching their adjustment video, I need to adjust the right side shock. Doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know.

Old 07-20-2024, 08:24 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,285 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Gorman
And everything north of the Mason-Dickson Line.
yep, alot of the women up here dont take care of themselves either and are riddled with potholes too.

glen, hope you get the shocks straightened out, i guess the swingarms isnt as stiff as id think it would be side to side.

Old 07-20-2024, 09:33 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 930 Posts

The bumper on the right shock is about a 1/4" from bottoming out. The left side bumper is all the way down. After my first ride.

After watching their adjustment video, I need to adjust the right side shock. Doesn't make sense to me, but what do I know.
I would not adjust 1 side only. Both need even adjustments from the initial setup. If one side has shorter travel than the other I would call Pro action before adjusting one side only. This way they will know that both shocks are still evenly adjusted and they will tell you what you have to do.

If you have one bumper touching the bottom and the other one is a quarter inch away and you don't feel it bottoming out I would just leave it as it is.

Last edited by golfblues; 07-20-2024 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2024, 10:36 PM
Glenn Gorman
Club Member

It was my first ride, maybe two miles. We've been having thunderstorms and rain. I was going to head out on Sunday, but now that I have the shocks I can wait until Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully, we'll get a long enough break in the weather on Sunday for a longer ride.

What was interesting is that during the install, the right side bolts lined up perfectly and the left side was off by only a smidge. I do have to take a grinder to the bottom brace of my sissy bar. They were so close to touching the top of the shocks, I don't think that I could have slipped a piece of paper between the two.

And you are correct. I rewatched the fine tuning video and it was the "clicker" that he said to only adjust on the right side. This newer video is only 4 months old and the shocks that he's tuning have the red collar.

Old 07-21-2024, 06:33 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

What was interesting is that during the install, the right side bolts lined up perfectly and the left side was off by only a smidge.
that's pretty common. rack and pull has a whole bunch of videos showing how to align your suspension. their claim is that the motor/trans is not aligned properly, causing the swingarm to not be aligned. which results in your shocks not fitting properly, and can lead to wobble.

Old 07-21-2024, 06:47 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

I have installed three different brands of rear shocks and this is a very common issue. You just have to jack the rear up or down for the second shock install and presto.

I would NOT start playing with the adjustment. If and when adjustment is needed it is always in very small increments. A little makes a lot of difference and you can easily make things worse.

The following 3 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
luckiestiff (07-21-2024), Notgrownup (07-21-2024), strokelessone (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 09:10 AM
strokelessone
Tourer

Received 206 Likes on 127 Posts

I didn't get a t-shirt, I feel kind of stiffed. will have to stop by and see if they have one in XXFat for me.

Old 07-21-2024, 12:37 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,031 Likes on 7,308 Posts

Originally Posted by strokelessone
I didn't get a t-shirt, I feel kind of stiffed. will have to stop by and see if they have one in XXFat for me.

They do, I wear XXFat also!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Glenn Gorman (07-23-2024), strokelessone (07-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Pro-Action disappointment