General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Will Ride or Die With the Graybeards

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 06:29 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,342 Likes on 5,487 Posts

I purchased a new 2016 RGU as my retirement ride. Then delayed retiring 6 months. Then the M8 appeared. 52K on the 2016 Traded for a new 2017 RGU.

Retired for the last time. Totaled the 2017 Nov 2020 and purchased a new 2020 RGL and kept going.

Because of HD's approach to customers the 2020 will be my last new Harley. I have 2 other Harley's that will be here until I die. The 2020 will be Triked by Hannigan August 5th.

Once that is done. The search for the right used RG will start. Many retired older riders can afford what they want. Is seems HD has made it clear that we are not the customer they want. 6 new touring bikes and would have likely been a couple more.

HD missed out on a pretty big market by rejecting the older riders.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 06:47 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
I purchased a new 2016 RGU

Because of HD's approach to customers the 2020 will be my last new Harley. I have 2 other Harley's that will be here until I die. The 2020 will be Triked by Hannigan August 5th.

Once that is done. The search for the right used RG will start. Many retired older riders can afford what they want. Is seems HD has made it clear that we are not the customer they want. 6 new touring bikes and would have likely been a couple more.

HD missed out on a pretty big market by rejecting the older riders.
When has harley treated its customer's good?

But what are they doing to treat old people bad? Making a livewire? You don't have to buy. GMC makes electric vehicles, I am still buying trucks.

Put a infotainment center in? Made a few ugly bikes? They have had some misses before.

They need to do more to get younger riders, but what that is, ihas been a debate for the last 20 years. You may have retirement money, but you have less riding years in front of you, then behind. Young people are at their peak earning years, and will then have 401k money like you have now. So why should they not try to get them? Late 40s and 50s are probably best market to have. You are spending the last of your money, and they are still making it.

For me the issue is more claims that bikes can;t be off the charger, and reliability. But harley riders fixing factory short comings, is harleys legacy. I have some hopes to get the younger buyers, they will have to sell a better product. Getting rid of the old buyers, may be better for the product.

Old 07-17-2024, 08:34 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
When has harley treated its customer's good?

But what are they doing to treat old people bad? Making a livewire? You don't have to buy. GMC makes electric vehicles, I am still buying trucks.

Put a infotainment center in? Made a few ugly bikes? They have had some misses before.

They need to do more to get younger riders, but what that is, ihas been a debate for the last 20 years. You may have retirement money, but you have less riding years in front of you, then behind. Young people are at their peak earning years, and will then have 401k money like you have now. So why should they not try to get them? Late 40s and 50s are probably best market to have. You are spending the last of your money, and they are still making it.

For me the issue is more claims that bikes can;t be off the charger, and reliability. But harley riders fixing factory short comings, is harleys legacy. I have some hopes to get the younger buyers, they will have to sell a better product. Getting rid of the old buyers, may be better for the product.
In a simpler time, I’d park my black Harley on Main Street in Sturgis during Sturgis week along with 10,000 other black Harley touring bikes. Yet, everyone was unique enough that I spotted mine instantaneously. While some treated it as fixing Harley’s issues, some, like me were just making a basic bike better, making it mine. With bolt ons, with performance mods, even with changes to the engine. Each one was different even when they left Harley identical to the next one. One big change for me are the restrictions on what an owner can now do, legally or illegally to change their bike. Today’s manufactured Harley’s are designed to be as built with little wiggle room to customize.

Okay, fire away, find the flaws, post your rebuttals, and prove me wrong. I’d love it.

The following 2 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
chrisflhtc (07-18-2024), M Oclaf (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 10:58 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
In a simpler time, I’d park my black Harley on Main Street in Sturgis during Sturgis week along with 10,000 other black Harley touring bikes. Yet, everyone was unique enough that I spotted mine instantaneously. While some treated it as fixing Harley’s issues, some, like me were just making a basic bike better, making it mine. With bolt ons, with performance mods, even with changes to the engine. Each one was different even when they left Harley identical to the next one. One big change for me are the restrictions on what an owner can now do, legally or illegally to change their bike. Today’s manufactured Harley’s are designed to be as built with little wiggle room to customize.

Okay, fire away, find the flaws, post your rebuttals, and prove me wrong. I’d love it.
Yes Harley has gotten strict with changes I have heard. Some might be hysteria on riders part. Are they going to deny warranty claim for leaking seal because you changed pipes?

Some is EPA.

Look at twin cam tensioners. I went to gears, eventually Harley went to Hydraulic.

Look at when dealers were gouging on bikes. Harley said they were independent. When dealers started dropping prices they were against it because hurting brand.

I hope someday bikes get like cars. Run forever.

Nothing is stopping from changing look of new bike. You can debate warranty restrictions and EPA tightening changes.

But I don't think that much has really changed.

Old 07-17-2024, 11:42 AM
Torky_SOB
Grand HDF Member
Received 9,608 Likes on 3,637 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
I have a Honda Trail 70 I love riding on my property. I have an obstacle course set up that really sharpens low speed riding skills, and they definitely transfer over to riding the Harleys.

Yu lucky guy Love that little thing !! refurbished about $4-5K I saw..... I had one when I was a kid...back then it was the coolest little scoot you could own vs the Briggs & Stratton engine mini bikes ....they werent **** compared to that !!

Tommy C (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 03:03 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts

I purchased my first Harley back in 1996 after a divorce at 29 and a a buddy suggesting I needed a hobby and suggesting I buy a Harley. I did, my life changed forever!

I knew nothing about Harley except my Hero Evel Knievel rode one when I was 10. When I started searching for a new Harley, it blew my mind that my local mom and pop Harley shop not only did not have a new Harley to sell me, he had no new bike showroom and no bikes new or used on display, he did have a showroom for Harley clothing and parts and his staff of only 3 people was full of attitude as in " you ain't in the Harley club" but was told if I wanted a new Harley I could go on a 1 year list to get one.

I didn't give up and I did find a bike and I did make great friends with that staff of my local shop in time but my point is I remember a time when a Harley was "rare" made in one factory, a time when a Harley was few a far between, a time when if you wanted a new Softail today, you better know someone or be willing to pay $5K over list from someone who did know someone and was flipping a Harley to make a profit!

I miss those days of old and I would think Harley was perhaps not doing the sales volume of today but I would think the profit on each bike was very profitable.

I love Harley, I hope the number crunchers don't put the company under but I personally would have no issue if the Harley sales numbers decline, perhaps overseas Harley ventures will shrink, perhaps a factory must close, I would have zero issues if the large interstate Harley dealers had to cut back to the small shops of the 80's and 90's as back then you knew you were part of something very special as in not everyone had a Harley,

I know turning back time is not the answer and you can never go back but Harley perhaps grew too fast as many business do.

I get that many young folks now don't go outside and ride a mini bike like I did, Don't have a Evel Knievel as a hero or no longer get the stunt cycle and RV under the tree at Christmas so have no desire to ride when a few years older but I believe with age comes wisdom and even those young kids now may want a Harley in the future IF you can keep Harley rare. Harley may not be able to survive a profitable downsize and could go under as I see it. I hope not but Indian has a perfect opportunity to do things right.

My local Indian dealer is the same small size, vibe and feel ( without the attitude of my now long gone Harley dealer of the 90's)
I won't get into a Indian, Harley debate ( I ride only Harley) but Indian has the benefit as I see it that it can grow slow in a declining motorcycle industry. As I see it all these new ( last 20 years ) Mega "BIG" Harley dealers full of 100 - 200 new and used bikes not selling very fast is an issue.

EPA, EV push and young soy boys glued to a iPhone that can't even drive a stick ain't helping but the number of motorcycles on the road will be less and less, it's up the the suits at Harley to figure out if it can survive and mantain a profit selling less and less bikes each year. I hope it can and will...

I would love to see once again a business model of smaller Harley dealers, with a few bikes to sell and a new lean and mean Harley Company moving into the future....

What else can a company do but downsize when the number of people buying a bike will decrease moving into tomorrow?

The following 2 users liked this post by Soundman5000:
aharleyrider (08-14-2024), chrisflhtc (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 04:29 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I sure don't miss the days of waiting lists and jacked up prices for used bikes. With respect to that we are at a great time in harley history. I don;t know the whole timeline for jacked up prices and waiting lists, but it was going on when I wanted my first.

Now you can go buy used for decent price if you want another bike, or walk in and get a new bike today. I did come after harley shifted to yuppies and boutiques. I do have romantiv visions of the old days, with respect to that. But there are a lot of good things now.

Curious, does know history or ordering bikes and prices?

Old 07-17-2024, 05:03 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,802 Likes on 2,677 Posts
Default One thing

Originally Posted by Soundman5000
I purchased my first Harley back in 1996 after a divorce at 29 and a a buddy suggesting I needed a hobby and suggesting I buy a Harley. I did, my life changed forever!

I knew nothing about Harley except my Hero Evel Knievel rode one when I was 10. When I started searching for a new Harley, it blew my mind that my local mom and pop Harley shop not only did not have a new Harley to sell me, he had no new bike showroom and no bikes new or used on display, he did have a showroom for Harley clothing and parts and his staff of only 3 people was full of attitude as in " you ain't in the Harley club" but was told if I wanted a new Harley I could go on a 1 year list to get one.

I didn't give up and I did find a bike and I did make great friends with that staff of my local shop in time but my point is I remember a time when a Harley was "rare" made in one factory, a time when a Harley was few a far between, a time when if you wanted a new Softail today, you better know someone or be willing to pay $5K over list from someone who did know someone and was flipping a Harley to make a profit!

I miss those days of old and I would think Harley was perhaps not doing the sales volume of today but I would think the profit on each bike was very profitable.

I love Harley, I hope the number crunchers don't put the company under but I personally would have no issue if the Harley sales numbers decline, perhaps overseas Harley ventures will shrink, perhaps a factory must close, I would have zero issues if the large interstate Harley dealers had to cut back to the small shops of the 80's and 90's as back then you knew you were part of something very special as in not everyone had a Harley,

I know turning back time is not the answer and you can never go back but Harley perhaps grew too fast as many business do.

I get that many young folks now don't go outside and ride a mini bike like I did, Don't have a Evel Knievel as a hero or no longer get the stunt cycle and RV under the tree at Christmas so have no desire to ride when a few years older but I believe with age comes wisdom and even those young kids now may want a Harley in the future IF you can keep Harley rare. Harley may not be able to survive a profitable downsize and could go under as I see it. I hope not but Indian has a perfect opportunity to do things right.

My local Indian dealer is the same small size, vibe and feel ( without the attitude of my now long gone Harley dealer of the 90's)
I won't get into a Indian, Harley debate ( I ride only Harley) but Indian has the benefit as I see it that it can grow slow in a declining motorcycle industry. As I see it all these new ( last 20 years ) Mega "BIG" Harley dealers full of 100 - 200 new and used bikes not selling very fast is an issue.

EPA, EV push and young soy boys glued to a iPhone that can't even drive a stick ain't helping but the number of motorcycles on the road will be less and less, it's up the the suits at Harley to figure out if it can survive and mantain a profit selling less and less bikes each year. I hope it can and will...

I would love to see once again a business model of smaller Harley dealers, with a few bikes to sell and a new lean and mean Harley Company moving into the future....

What else can a company do but downsize when the number of people buying a bike will decrease moving into tomorrow?
With plenty to refute regarding Harley’s future. Much like times have changed, Harley has adapted well despite interwebs forum trolls. But where you are unequivocally wrong is Indian making it as anyone who knows anything, the current “Indian” is a Polaris product. It’s not a motorcycle manufacturer like Harley Davidson. It copies Harleys current look but will never surpass as there may not be an Evil Knievel to stroke a young kid’s fire, but it’s inherently American to want a Harley.

Anyone saying otherwise is a liar. That said some don’t but they’re few and far between, like homers. And my days of being young, dumb and full of … may be over but the one thing that goes along with everyone wants a Harley, chicks also always will dig the guy with the bike. I ain’t alone with the stories of one reason I hooked up with babe is because of my Harley. Comes with the territory, still.

And to the reliability, it’s my belief that there is no massive nation wide dealership network due to the reliability of Harley’s over the last 2-3 decades. The EVO didn’t just save the company, it put a focus on quality and reliability that is astounding on the latest models.

For every 10 posts of some mitch complaining how his Harley is junk, there 10,000 people out riding right now. Most instances of the mitch posting problems is because they’re not the mechanical genius they think they are.

No need to have a dealership that is just getting by on clothing or nick knacks…consolidation is part of the new business model. Remember phones on every corner? Obsolete…times, they be changing, roll with them or be miserable. Ride On!

Last edited by M Oclaf; 07-17-2024 at 05:05 PM.
chrisflhtc (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 06:38 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts

I want to be clear... I'm a huge fan of Harley, I could say Im the #1 fan but this forum is full of #1 fans! We all love Harley! I was just reading today about how much Harley lost on the Livewire and I only want Harley to remain all it is and has been period. I don't think the higher ups get it but thats just my opinion. I don't see all bad but I don't see all good either with the business decisions.

As far as Indian, I get it, I'm not a fan but I could be in time perhaps. I for some reason have hope or better to say I wish Indian well. My local Indian dealer is only a few hundred yards from my house. My servicing / selling Harley dealer is one hour away in another State! I pass 2 other local Harley dealers to travel that hour as my out of State Harley dealer is that good and deserves my business and the closer Harley dealers have not earned my business and I'm being nice.

I would like to see a day that Indian made a motorcycle I would purchase. The dealer not only being a stone throw away. Has a beautiful small dealership staffed with very nice folks that live and work with-in my small community. I do think I would enjoy my local Indian dealership experience but may never know as I am not sold on the bikes. The Indian demo tour truck comes around 2x a year and I do test ride Indians at least once per year. My hope and wish for Indian is the bikes, design, fit and finish continue to improve as I have a large garage and would be happy to be a house divided when and if I decide that I like Indian enough to buy one. That time is not now but wonder what 5 years will bring? I do wish Indian well... I would never replace my Harley as Indian ain't Harley but with improvements and future designs that I like, I got room for a Indian beside my 2x Harley bikes...

As far as chicks digging a Harley, True story, Way back in 96 when I purchased my first new Harley. I got a knock on my door the very next day from a girl I had recently been introduced to. She said I want to see your new bike, I heard you got a new orange Harley and I just got a orange bikini top to match she tells me. That girl was a keeper as she is now my wife of many years and gave me a large family and recently said you can buy a new Harley if you wan't but you gotta keep the old one too!

The following 3 users liked this post by Soundman5000:
aharleyrider (08-14-2024), chrisflhtc (07-18-2024), hellonewman (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024, 09:43 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by M Oclaf
With plenty to refute regarding Harley’s future. Much like times have changed, Harley has adapted well despite interwebs forum trolls. But where you are unequivocally wrong is Indian making it as anyone who knows anything, the current “Indian” is a Polaris product. It’s not a motorcycle manufacturer like Harley Davidson. It copies Harleys current look but will never surpass as there may not be an Evil Knievel to stroke a young kid’s fire, but it’s inherently American to want a Harley.

Anyone saying otherwise is a liar. On!
Do I care they are made by Polaris????? Why???

I know lots of harley guys talking about Indians, thought not buying. But talking.

For touring, I always said dealer network was important. Not as much, since no one stocks parts, because they change year to year. But still a plus.

Someone showed me number of years ago an Indian with USB charger. Maybe you guys hate it, but everyone is using USB, and harley didn't care about making improvements. Again the bikes will be better when baby boomers are gone. They will have to cater to customers then.

But I get it, I am redneck, I won't drive jap pick up.

I would consider Indian, cause not jap, and made in USA. I would like to know how they are to work on. Though I also don't want to learn to work on something new. Which may be my downfall.

Soundman5000 (07-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Harley Will Ride or Die With the Graybeards