General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Will Ride or Die With the Graybeards

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2024, 04:26 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
It's not as if whenever we old ones die there will be only young people in the world ... Um. yep !
Might be first time we agreed

Old 07-22-2024, 05:20 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Rains2much
SXS? You guys talking about those 4 wheel drive golf carts? So these folks selling their bikes to own off-road big shock golf carts? How is that a replacement unless you live on like a big farm?

‘I guess you just mean they replace their ride time on a bike by running around their back yards? Not knocking, I get why folks enjoy riding ATV’s or dirt bikes. But you’re not going to see the world, ride coast to coast on a jacked-up golf cart?
I had to Google SXS, I guess I must live under a rock... In my limited "over 50" world I personally do not know anyone that has a SXS, I have seen a total of (2) in a driveway or open garage when I pass riding around my town.
I also Googled a place to ride a SXS in my area and I only see a few in my State and most if not all are a few hours away.
I do however live in a boating paradise ( 100 yards to the ocean ) so I do see a boat parked in many driveways but many of those driveways or garages also hold a Harley! I can't say people don't ever sell a Harley to buy a boat but IMO, a Boat , a Harley and a SXS are all very different things.

I did sometime back watch a Youtube about how the SXS hobby was building a tourist attraction is old coal town of WV, thats cool but looks like a hobby I simply know nothing about...
With a Harley I have a public road at the end of my driveway, if I owned a SXS I would be required to load up and drive 2-3 hours minimum or buy land 2-3 hours from my house to find a way or a place to use it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Soundman5000:
M Oclaf (07-22-2024), Rains2much (07-23-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 06:47 PM
tngarren
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,785 Likes on 1,188 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Might be true in your area; around here I see a lot of older riders on ADV bikes.
+1. Upright riding position, weather protection, < 600lbs, storage capacity, ground clearance. Once you ride one, it's hard not to like it.

Old 07-22-2024, 08:11 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Driveway

Originally Posted by Soundman5000
I had to Google SXS, I guess I must live under a rock... In my limited "over 50" world I personally do not know anyone that has a SXS, I have seen a total of (2) in a driveway or open garage when I pass riding around my town.
I also Googled a place to ride a SXS in my area and I only see a few in my State and most if not all are a few hours away.
I do however live in a boating paradise ( 100 yards to the ocean ) so I do see a boat parked in many driveways but many of those driveways or garages also hold a Harley! I can't say people don't ever sell a Harley to buy a boat but IMO, a Boat , a Harley and a SXS are all very different things.

I did sometime back watch a Youtube about how the SXS hobby was building a tourist attraction is old coal town of WV, thats cool but looks like a hobby I simply know nothing about...
With a Harley I have a public road at the end of my driveway, if I owned a SXS I would be required to load up and drive 2-3 hours minimum or buy land 2-3 hours from my house to find a way or a place to use it.
I think it's all about location here people just drive them on the road . If I had one there's tons of places I could just drive it too . As far as not seeing any I guess that's location also there everywhere here .

The following users liked this post:
Soundman5000 (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 08:35 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Ya its about location. They don't sell a lot of snowmobiles in Texas I bet either. It is similar to a snowmobile, in that you up, here similar area. You need trails. Though farming close trails in summer. You don't see SXS in chicago, you do see lots of FIBs up north with them.

Like the snowmobilers, you got a crowd that trailers up north, gets a motel. That I think has increased a lot last 10 years so, I suspect. But I can't say for sure ATV tourism has gone up. But I see a lot of them at the bars now., obviously dependent on area.

But I stand by generalization, these people were not the hard core bike crowd, and wife probably would have made them sell anyways. I have lots of friends and family with 4 wheelers and SXSs, but I don't think any of them had interests in bikes.

Only so much money and time. But I find time for both. I don't have young kids though, and OL likes both. While i do know people with both, it does tend to be one or other.

Old 07-22-2024, 09:40 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Ya its about location. They don't sell a lot of snowmobiles in Texas I bet either. It is similar to a snowmobile, in that you up, here similar area. You need trails. Though farming close trails in summer. You don't see SXS in chicago, you do see lots of FIBs up north with them.

Like the snowmobilers, you got a crowd that trailers up north, gets a motel. That I think has increased a lot last 10 years so, I suspect. But I can't say for sure ATV tourism has gone up. But I see a lot of them at the bars now., obviously dependent on area.

But I stand by generalization, these people were not the hard core bike crowd, and wife probably would have made them sell anyways. I have lots of friends and family with 4 wheelers and SXSs, but I don't think any of them had interests in bikes.

Only so much money and time. But I find time for both. I don't have young kids though, and OL likes both. While i do know people with both, it does tend to be one or other.
Like I said before a couple of my friends that sold their bikes were as hardcore as it gets . One of them built several bikes from the ground up and he's the one that went crazy over the SXS . They are neighbors and that whole neighborhood looks like a SXS get together every evening. Him and his wife are loving it , as someone else said it's family and kids and he's crazy about his grandkids and now they can ride with him . .

s-glide76 (07-22-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 10:05 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by razorbacksrule
Lik. Him and his wife are loving it , as someone else said it's family and kids and he's crazy about his grandkids and now they can ride with him . .
I said it many times, it is family friendly and his wife probably made him sell the bike.

Lots of people come and go from bikes. But I still stand by, it in general they were going to go anyways. Mr hardcore as it gets, sold his bike, so I guess not as hardcore as it gets.

I like my sxs, but I am not taking it to work or the grocery store. For me there is room for both. I am lucky my OL likes both.

Old 07-22-2024, 10:21 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,020 Likes on 6,675 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Got one now...it used to be a rototiller. I was bored one winter and built it. A guy just called me about it this morning. Decided to sell it because it just sits here, and I look like a circus bear on it
Just sold it. Got pretty much what I had in it. Nice!

panheadache (07-23-2024)
Old 07-22-2024, 11:01 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,368 Posts

ATVs and SXSs are hunting and work vehicles here. Yes, they are fun, yes you can haul an elk home over terrible snow covered roads, but I would never equate them with a touring bike. The former remain tools for me, while my motorcycle is a passion all on its own. Even if I could explain it to you, you couldn’t understand it. If you ride, you know.

Now I could have fun on an ATV or SXS, and I enjoyed my enduro and dual sport, even played on them. In my life they are not in the same category as my motorcycle and touring the open roads. Too many nuances to describe here. But most of you already know those answers as well.

Old 07-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,958 Likes on 7,852 Posts

Originally Posted by RHPAW
Got one now...it used to be a rototiller. I was bored one winter and built it. A guy just called me about it this morning. Decided to sell it because it just sits here, and I look like a circus bear on it.

I built this in 2011 to ride around the compound. Lots of modification to the engine and the frame is a Doodle Bug that I stretched 18 inches to help keep the front end down. It will go at least 60 mph. I'm thinking about pulling it out of storage this year and see if I can get 20 horsepower out of that engine and maybe even paint it It's a dangerous toy...

The following 4 users liked this post by Tommy C:
panheadache (07-23-2024), RHPAW (07-23-2024), Soundman5000 (07-23-2024), StevieMac! (07-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Harley Will Ride or Die With the Graybeards