General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Will Ride or Die With the Graybeards

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 01:20 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Metric

Originally Posted by Rounders
Up here perfect too. Lots of public land, Forest roads, logging roads, in the north. I would say most of the toy people I know have sleds, sxs, and seadoos. With a shorter riding season.

The rural areas in general have smaller motorcycle community. I think it has gone up last 20 years

Southern part of the state they are letting sxs on roads. I don't have any interest in that. This area has lots of bikers. Now they don't have the extensive trail network as north does.

Not a direct comparison for many reasons. The trips I have made to the south, there were was more metric. I attribute that due to money. Everything was cheaper when I went there 15-20 years ago. Maybe income and cost of Harleys have changed. Maybe more jobs moving down there, not as poor as it used to be.

I have also in my life seen many people stop riding. Most of the people I rode with 20 years ago sold them, or dead.

People I ride with now, I just don't see selling their bikes for an ATV. Some do own them.
I'm not sure what part of the south you went to but here in my area 90% of the bikes on the road are Harleys . It was just the opposite to me when I was riding up north saw a lot of bikes that weren't Harleys especially ADV bikes . The south in general is pure hog country .

Old 07-21-2024, 01:30 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,253 Likes on 1,784 Posts

Originally Posted by razorbacksrule
I'm not sure what part of the south you went to but here in my area 90% of the bikes on the road are Harleys . It was just the opposite to me when I was riding up north saw a lot of bikes that weren't Harleys especially ADV bikes . The south in general is pure hog country .
I have not been to Arkansas since 2008. I liked how cheap it was, probably due to poverty. Lots of companies have moved there so maybe times have changed. But south is the south.

Old 07-21-2024, 02:31 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default Yep

Originally Posted by s-glide76
I'm in the Southwest and sxs are all over the place.
Unlike a motorcycle sxs are great for getting families together. They'll load up the toy hauler or just tents and toys and go to Glamis, Moab, or just put down stakes in the thousands of acres of BLM ground.
Families, cousins, friends, old and young play all day then sit around a campfire at night. About the best social gatherings out there anymore.
Exactly what they do here with some adult events thrown in .

Old 07-21-2024, 02:35 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Default North

Up here perfect too. Lots of public land, Forest roads, logging roads, in the north. I would say most of the toy people I know have sleds, sxs, and seadoos. With a shorter riding season.

The rural areas in general have smaller motorcycle community. I think it has gone up last 20 years

Southern part of the state they are letting sxs on roads. I don't have any interest in that. This area has lots of bikers. Now they don't have the extensive trail network as north does.

Not a direct comparison for many reasons. The trips I have made to the south, there were was more metric. I attribute that due to money. Everything was cheaper when I went there 15-20 years ago. Maybe income and cost of Harleys have changed. Maybe more jobs moving down there, not as poor as it used to be.

I have also in my life seen many people stop riding. Most of the people I rode with 20 years ago sold them, or dead.

People I ride with now, I just don't see selling their bikes for an ATV. Some do own them.
Not sure where your from but I live in Northwest Arkansas one of the fastest growing markets in the US . Walmart just built a 350 acre corporate headquarters here . There's as much money here as any place in the north .

The following users liked this post:
M Oclaf (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 04:15 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master

I have not been to Arkansas since 2008. I liked how cheap it was, probably due to poverty. Lots of companies have moved there so maybe times have changed. But south is the south.
Well that's how I feel about the north is what it is . There is a lot of poverty in the North too I know I've seen it . My daughter lived in Chicago , New York and Boston had to for her job . I wouldn't live in any of those places if it was free. Never seen so many homeless people they were everywhere. They even had tents on the streets never saw anything like that here . Walmart has been around a lot longer than 2008 so has Tyson foods . Most people don't know it but several of the richest people in the US are from Arkansas.

M Oclaf (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 04:19 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master

What part of the north are you from?

Old 07-21-2024, 04:21 PM
M Oclaf
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,802 Likes on 2,677 Posts
Default And the brand will play on

And poverty or not, Harley MFN Davidson will continue to ride on even after the greybeards are long gone. Why anyone would want it to be gone, let alone make it a hill to die on is what’s crazy talk!

hd4evr2008 (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 04:39 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,169 Likes on 2,640 Posts

Most of the people I rode with 20 years ago sold them, or dead..
Being dead is a very good reason to quit riding ...

Originally Posted by razorbacksrule
Well that's how I feel about the north is what it is . There is a lot of poverty in the North too I know I've seen it . My daughter lived in Chicago , New York and Boston had to for her job . .
don't judge the midwest or north east by those cities.

and give little heed to "the world according to Rounders"

informal count I've observed in my area is 7 to 1 Harley

..L.T.A.

M Oclaf (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 04:40 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master

Originally Posted by M Oclaf
And poverty or not, Harley MFN Davidson will continue to ride on even after the greybeards are long gone. Why anyone would want it to be gone, let alone make it a hill to die on is what’s crazy talk!
I don't I've been riding Harleys since 1974 and I'll have one or more when I die . They just need to bring back a newer Dyna I would be one happy Harley Rider !

The following 2 users liked this post by razorbacksrule:
hd4evr2008 (07-21-2024), M Oclaf (07-21-2024)
Old 07-21-2024, 04:41 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

Motorcycles have been a passion of mine since I was a little boy. I go to classic/ hot rod car shows and I get more interested in a motorcycle someone rode to the show than I do any of the cars! Been that way my whole life. I love motorcycles. My passion hasn't wained in all these years and I just turned 73. Still riding my Electra Glide, and looking for my next bike! And, yeah, I got a grey beard. 😊

Last edited by hd4evr2008; 07-21-2024 at 04:43 PM.
MRFREEZE57 (07-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Harley Will Ride or Die With the Graybeards