Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Will Ride or Die With the Graybeards

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2024, 03:25 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,609 Likes on 7,758 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders

I am agreeing sxs are popular, as I said you can take kids with. bars around here are full of them
Bars full of kids? Shocking!

Old 07-20-2024, 03:29 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Bars full of kids? Shocking!
In Wisconsin you can drink with parents. Most bars sell food nowadays too. In rural areas bars are restaurants.

I used to hate kids in bars. Still don't like it, but you do see it. Especially in places that have good. Michigan they have to be out by 9pm

Old 07-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I wanted a bike since young age. Powetsports are just something I bought when I got enough money. But bikes came shortly after cars for me.

Old 07-20-2024, 04:06 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 2,424 Posts

One thing I have noticed....since the proliferation of smartphones there are less and less kids who have an interest in motorcycles of any kind. There are less kids riding bicycles also. The potential market for the purchase of any motorcycle is shrinking.

Now, HERE IS SOME interesting information.

We ship parts to Harley owners at an average of 3100 parts per month. So, while we are small, the following numbers do hold some weight when looking at the age of current Harley owners.

According to our analytics:

12% of our orders are to the age group of 25-34

18% of our orders are to the age group of 35-43

29% of our orders are to the age group of 44-54

41% of our orders are to the age group of 55+

Our numbers above are definitely skewed toward the older age group because of our strength in parts for Harley Trikes....but even with that, 30% of our Customers are 43 and younger.

I believe that the EPA is more of an impediment to current and future sales than any aging out. However, with the Supreme Court reversing the Chevron Deference, we may see the EPA not having nearly the effect on Harley's as they have had in the last 20 years or so.

Last edited by DK Custom; 07-20-2024 at 04:08 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DK Custom:
Evo-Wes (07-20-2024), gonemad (07-20-2024), hellonewman (07-21-2024)
Old 07-20-2024, 09:42 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Are smart phones the reason?
Video games started late 70s. I played video games then I discovered girls,booze and cars.

It's complicated, is the answer. Less hunters too. But someone thinks more ATVs. Which were not around a lot in 80s. It's complicated

10 channels on tv. Over bearing parents too. Maybe the helicopter parents are part of it. It's complicated

Old 07-20-2024, 09:59 PM
Soundman5000
Cruiser
Received 169 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthWestern
This is true. I have looked at the Indians and noticed the tank. I am old enough that I am not sure i would need to worry about a new bike if HD went under. There are enough 2000 mile garage queens and aftermarket to support it until I died, which cannot be said for Indian, were it to burn.

We still have a Red Lobster. Just saying...
Good point on the age and used bikes still around, but gosh that makes me feel old... I am old lol.
That unlimited shrimp about did the Red Lobster in ? LOL

Old 07-20-2024, 10:22 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,687 Likes on 1,364 Posts

This has turned into a deep discussion. We were as different from our grandparents as our current generation is from us. Just like our entire life experience was different, richer in technology than our grandparents, so today’s 20-30 year olds have had a totally different technological experience. I don’t know how I’d been different if I had a smart phone at 10 or teen years. I don’t know how I’d be different if my first car was an EV or hybrid instead of a flathead six. I don’t know how my life would be different when I didn’t know the local police and rules were bent based on family and respect. Now my grandparent started with no indoor plumbing, no planes, party iron wire telephones, no refrigeration, no rural power, no cars, limited one one school, all gravel roads and direct loss oil systems.

Despite all that, I feel we grew up in the best time. Everything was more or less affordable. Work was available, school concentrated on basics so we were prepared to innovate and create. From my first ‘52 Plymouth, ‘57 chevys, GMC pickups, numerous sports cars, and a ‘47 knucklehead, ‘61 Ironhead, ‘42 Flathead that I could repair, modify, hand polish and get chromed as funds allowed, I find it hard to think my life may have been stareing at a smart screen, and ear bud stuck in my ear all day as I was entertained, talking with buddies almost nonstop. I admit, I don’t understand it, but I understand why they are not riding expensive motorcycles. Even huge interactive screens cannot drag these stimulated youth away from their smart devices.

I’m happy I had word of mouth or the papers classified, rather than Craigslist, YouTube, marketplace, trader, instagram, and so much more. I had limited choices and had to make the best of what we could find locally. Todays youth or younger rider has 1000’s of choices, affording them the luxury of picking and choosing and exact fit for their perceived use or social group status. We did not have that.

But my grandparents thought we didn’t understand. I guess part of the different was they were WWI, saw WWII, and we lived Vietnam, and many newer riders are post desert storm. I get the difference. I just think they are missing the bigger picture and I wouldn’t trade with them. I would not be happy in their new world, but they are because that’s all they know.

Okay, leaving on a trip tomorrow, so I’m off line for a while. I just thought this thread was touching deep issues and I’ll think about it for the next several weeks. I’m on the black Harley touring bike. You can’t miss me.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 07-20-2024 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-20-2024, 10:23 PM
razorbacksrule
Road Master
Received 310 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
My point was, were they the type of people who were going to give up riding,no matter what. There are tons of people like that. They ride for awhile.

You can bring your kids sxs, so it is more family friendly. Wives like that. Men are better fathers now too.

But I think many of those people, would not have stuck with bikes anyways.

I like my toys,ATVs,sxs,sled, tractor, bikes. I am always going to have a bike,at least I hope.

Lots of people come and go from riding bikes

I am agreeing sxs are popular, as I said you can take kids with. bars around here are full of them
No they were not going to give up riding no matter what . One guy was in an MC . Several of us went to a mud run crawl what ever you want to call it . We had a great time next thing I new two of my buddies were selling their bikes to buy Polaris SXS . They had rode their whole lives never dreamed they would sell their bikes. One had to sell both his bikes to have room in his garage to park the SXS . The one in the MC sold a 2018 Ultra and 2016 Dyna and bought a 4 seater Polaris gave over $30,000 for it . That's all they do now gone somewhere every weekend with them . There's a lot in that group they go with that were bikers . I actually thought about it but my back just won't take it and I'm to Harley crazy .

Old 07-20-2024, 10:40 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Not everyone is a rule of thumb.

But do they have kids?

Myself motorcycles are part of my culture. I take to work grocery story, ect. 4 wheeling is just something fun I do. I do use to move snow and work, firewood

But bikes are part of my life in different way.

Myself I do both. I bought sxs cheaper than 30k. And bikes cheaper too..

Old 07-21-2024, 06:30 AM
Rains2much
Road Warrior
Received 1,623 Likes on 779 Posts

SXS? You guys talking about those 4 wheel drive golf carts? So these folks selling their bikes to own off-road big shock golf carts? How is that a replacement unless you live on like a big farm?

‘I guess you just mean they replace their ride time on a bike by running around their back yards? Not knocking, I get why folks enjoy riding ATV’s or dirt bikes. But you’re not going to see the world, ride coast to coast on a jacked-up golf cart?

Last edited by Rains2much; 07-21-2024 at 06:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Harley Will Ride or Die With the Graybeards