Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maryland Motorcycle Title with lein, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 03:14 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,251 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Vec
sounds like a lot of pain and anguish over a simple process.

I'd stay away from that machine.
its still actually a really simple process.

Old 07-07-2024, 04:41 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,017 Likes on 3,361 Posts

Sure would be interesting to know what this replacement for the Low Rider is going to be (I assume that's what it is).

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (07-07-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 06:37 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Sure would be interesting to know what this replacement for the Low Rider is going to be (I assume that's what it is).

Well, I thought you'd never ask, ha ha, Yes, this would be the replacement for the Dyna Low Rider, which was totaled by a NJ whitetail deer, 6 weeks ago. A hundred things have to go right, but if it all works out, this may be my next bike, a 2022 Fatboy 114, Reef Blue. These aren't pics of the actual bike, but it's identical, and has a windshield. I said the Low Rider was literally the nicest material possession I've ever owned. This would top it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bluesrider.df:
cycle7447 (07-08-2024), MikeTD3 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-07-2024, 07:42 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior
Received 1,734 Likes on 797 Posts

I love that blue, I have an 04 fatboy with luxury blue paint, the two blues are real similar. Hopefully everything works out for you with the fatboy.

Bluesrider.df (07-07-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 12:44 AM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,017 Likes on 3,361 Posts

She's a looker, hope it works out for ya!

cycle7447 (07-08-2024)
Old 07-08-2024, 06:31 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 382 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
I think in MD the owner has the title and it is stamped/printed with the lien holder on the title. The owner will need to pay off the lien. May want to contact MD DMV & PA DMV to see how this is handled or go to the lien holder (bank) and see how ownership is transferred.
In actuality, the Maryland owner has a copy (not original) of the title, and lien holder has the original.

The MD title will show who the lien holder is. The lien holder holds the original title and won't release it until the lien has been satisfied. Then, the title is sent to the person/address on the title with a letter indicating that the loan has been paid off. Now if the sale is done through a DMV service provider, the last part of where the lien holder sends the paid off title, may be different.

Old 07-08-2024, 08:54 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Actually in Maryland the bike owner's title looks and reads identical to the free and clear title, save for the listed lien holder 2/3'ds the way down the face of the title.
Both are printed on the exact same VR-002 form (lower right corner of the face of the document).

The lien holder has whatever documents they have, showing their lien on the bike (been a long long time since I held a private lien on a vehicle).

Pay the lien holder off, and the title is yours. NOT!
You have to have the lien holder fill out the lien release papers, and send them to you. With Harley and a normal bank, this isn't a big deal. With a private holder or a strange institution, this can be a real headache. It's been years now, but the credit union still cannot get around to releasing the lien on my Saab.

You, the bike owner, can then go down to the MVA or a tag and title service, with both your title showing the lien holder, and the lien release papers, and then apply for a new title that will show no lien holder upon it.

Old 07-08-2024, 09:43 AM
scott_0
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,080 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Actually in Maryland the bike owner's title looks and reads identical to the free and clear title, save for the listed lien holder 2/3'ds the way down the face of the title.
Both are printed on the exact same VR-002 form (lower right corner of the face of the document).

The lien holder has whatever documents they have, showing their lien on the bike (been a long long time since I held a private lien on a vehicle).

Pay the lien holder off, and the title is yours. NOT!
You have to have the lien holder fill out the lien release papers, and send them to you. With Harley and a normal bank, this isn't a big deal. With a private holder or a strange institution, this can be a real headache. It's been years now, but the credit union still cannot get around to releasing the lien on my Saab.

You, the bike owner, can then go down to the MVA or a tag and title service, with both your title showing the lien holder, and the lien release papers, and then apply for a new title that will show no lien holder upon it.
sounds like if the OP really wants the bike, it's worth going through HD's rider to rider program, or whatever they call it, to avoid headaches...

Oko (07-08-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 07:37 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 961 Posts

Hey guys, it's been a day. The Rider to Rider must happen in PA, because a state inspection is part of the deal, so the dealership in MD we were going to use is out. I found 1 dealership in PA this is 180 mi from the seller that will do it, but they crushed me with fees. $500 for R2R, $465 doc fee (!), and $130 messenger service. Yes that's $1,094, and I would still be responsible for Pennsylvania's title/reg/tag fees. Oh, and while going back and forth about this, they're trying to sell me on an extended service plan I'm laughing.

This deal isn't dead yet, I'm working on one more angle that I think seller and I will both be able to live with.

Old 07-09-2024, 07:45 PM
Harley_ish
Road Master
Received 588 Likes on 392 Posts

I think the Seller is just glad that you're that interested to go through all the trouble to try and solve the issues ... and he's rooting for ya

Quick Reply: Maryland Motorcycle Title with lein, need help