Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maryland Motorcycle Title with lein, need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2024, 04:00 PM
Vec
Road Master

Received 501 Likes on 285 Posts

sounds like a lot of pain and anguish over a simple process.

I'd stay away from that machine.

The following users liked this post:
Germansheperd (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 05:28 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,877 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Vec
sounds like a lot of pain and anguish over a simple process.

I'd stay away from that machine.
I completely disagree with you. These sorts of things happen everyday

The following 2 users liked this post by cycle7447:
Buelligan666 (07-07-2024), Goose_NC (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 05:31 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
OP here. When I was young my GF had a car that was owned by her stepdad and on his insurance. She reimbursed him for insurance each month. She then bought the car and title was transferred to her. The car was in an accident 2 days later, and that's when we learned we had no insurance. It was still on stepdad's policy, but you can't insure a car you don't own. She needed her own insurance. It was a huge PITA, but after many months, the insurance co covered it. Lots of lessons learned.

Some people might be ok with paying for the bike and waiting for the title, but it would still be the seller's bike, have to be on his insurance, etc. Lots of risks to both parties in this situation.

As someone some said above, he has to pay off the bike himself to get a clear title. If he can't do this, there is one other option, the Harley Rider to Rider program. We both go to the dealership, he brings the bike. I apply for a loan through HD (Eaglemark - they are the lienholder now). I don't need a loan, but for the sake of this transaction, it allows for title transfer and everyone is protected. HD does an inspection of the bike, and when all the paperwork is on hand, we both go back for signatures. Everyone leaves with what they want. I would pay my loan off immediately. HD charges for this of course, but if he can't cover the lien himself, it's probably the only (safe) option.
This is indeed a good option. By the way, you never mentioned who the lienholder is. The Harley loan is the same process.

Goose_NC (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 05:41 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
This is indeed a good option. By the way, you never mentioned who the lienholder is. The Harley loan is the same process.
The lienholder is HD Financial Services / Eaglemark Savings Bank, so that makes it easier.

Goose_NC (07-07-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 06:59 PM
WP50
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,819 Likes on 1,235 Posts

The lienholder is HD Financial Services / Eaglemark Savings Bank, so that makes it easier.
I didn't read everything but can a dealer not help ya with this as well ?

WP
Just saw Post 10 sounds like plan

Last edited by WP50; 07-06-2024 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2024, 07:14 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,763 Likes on 760 Posts

I have been on both ends, I would have the owner call HD financial, then 3 way call you in, you need a pay off and a date it’s good til, see what the options are for bank to bank wire or overnight cashier check etc. Seller can sign the title over to you and you need to put insurance on it, you just need a letter of release emailed or mailed and I don’t know how fast HD is on that, some are great some are pathetically slow.
These type deals can hardly ever be done in the same day without a dealer covering all the float and DMV transactions

Old 07-06-2024, 07:14 PM
WONKEY
Road Warrior
Received 1,734 Likes on 797 Posts

OP here. When I was young my GF had a car that was owned by her stepdad and on his insurance. She reimbursed him for insurance each month. She then bought the car and title was transferred to her. The car was in an accident 2 days later, and that's when we learned we had no insurance. It was still on stepdad's policy, but you can't insure a car you don't own. She needed her own insurance. It was a huge PITA, but after many months, the insurance co covered it. Lots of lessons learned.

Some people might be ok with paying for the bike and waiting for the title, but it would still be the seller's bike, have to be on his insurance, etc. Lots of risks to both parties in this situation.

As someone some said above, he has to pay off the bike himself to get a clear title. If he can't do this, there is one other option, the Harley Rider to Rider program. We both go to the dealership, he brings the bike. I apply for a loan through HD (Eaglemark - they are the lienholder now). I don't need a loan, but for the sake of this transaction, it allows for title transfer and everyone is protected. HD does an inspection of the bike, and when all the paperwork is on hand, we both go back for signatures. Everyone leaves with what they want. I would pay my loan off immediately. HD charges for this of course, but if he can't cover the lien himself, it's probably the only (safe) option.
the part in the middle about insurance is not true, call your insurance company and tell them you are buying the bike and what day you are paying for it, they will cover it as long as they know you purchased it.

The following 2 users liked this post by WONKEY:
Goose_NC (07-07-2024), WP50 (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 07:16 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,716 Likes on 961 Posts

Wonkey, thank you for the clarification.

Old 07-06-2024, 08:48 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Then you are all set.

The message about the insurance is also correct.

Bluesrider.df (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 09:39 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,002 Posts

I am looking to buy a bike from someone in Maryland, I am from PA. He has a loan, therefore a lein on the title. We were going to meet at a tag/title place in PA. He obviously needs my cash to payoff and have the lein removed, but how am I protected once I hand that over, to ensure the loan is satisfied? In PA, once all the paperwork is done at the tag place, you have a tag & temporary registration, and you can ride the new bike home. But this bit with the lein is a new wrinkle for me.
If you pay him, you aren't guaranteed the he will pay the loan off and have the lien cleared in any way, shape or form. Awful tempting in fact for him to take the cash and run with it.

If you want that lien cleared, you need to pay the lien holder off directly yourself, and get their paperwork to clear the lien from the title. Then take the lien release and the owners title to PA and have that converted to a free and clear title in your name.

Depending on the lien holder, this can be easy or a pain in the ****, and will involve some traveling to go visit an office of theirs to make the payoff. Schedule it so the papers are there ready and waiting for you, don't just drop in out of the blue.

Bluesrider.df (07-06-2024)

Quick Reply: Maryland Motorcycle Title with lein, need help