General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who actually uses this tool????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007 | 06:18 AM
biz44
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Who actually uses this tool????

I used one I borrowed from a friend yesterday, and I just dont see the real need.....but thats just me.....what do I know? It says in my 03 Softail Factory Service Manual to use it.....so I did, but I wanted to know how many other people use one to adjust the drive belt tension.

Old 08-31-2007 | 06:25 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Who actually uses this tool????

I use one.It takes the guess work out of the job.

Old 08-31-2007 | 06:30 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I use one any tiem I change a tire or do anything that has the potential to change the tension on the belt. I also check the belt tensionabout every 3,000 miles.

The need is this. A belt that is too loose flops and causes undue wear. A belt that is too tight is very hard on transmission and wheel bearings. Why wouldn't you want to be as accurate as possible when doing any maintainance.??

Bill

Old 08-31-2007 | 06:32 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior

Set the o-ring right.....looks like yours slid down,,,,also use it wit someone sitting on the bike.....its one of those frecken get on your hands and knees tool.....

Old 08-31-2007 | 06:46 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Actually, the shop manual has two ways of setting the belt tension. One is with someone sitting on the bike and the other way with the rear wheel off the ground.

Old 08-31-2007 | 06:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Bill is absolutely right! But I am of the belief if it can be done without the tool and still be right then go for it.My tool box is full,and one wall in my shop is covered with special tools and fixtures for all my hobbies.Tell me these Co. aren't working together to keep it that way.

Old 08-31-2007 | 07:12 AM
biz44
|
Outstanding HDF Member

I have always adjusted the belt or chain tension with a single rider on the bike, and the bike on the ground (the service manual I have says nothing about maintaining the drive belt tension with the wheel off the ground). I know the ill effects of having too much or too little tension on the belt. The thing is I sort of felt that I could judge pretty good the amount of free-play without using the tool. I have always made them just right at or a bit under 1/2", and never had a problem.

I guess since I am totally **** about maintaining my bikes, I will spring for one.....

Oh the tool in the pic ain't mine.....its just a pic I found on the web......and the way I use the o-rings is to make two marks on the tool at the max deflection, and use the upper o-ring to sort of zero it all or I just use the o-ring as a reference point and the graduated scale on the belt guard to measure.

Old 08-31-2007 | 07:23 AM
Geoseismic
Road Captain

When I used the tool and set belt tension in accordance with the shop manual, the belt was too tight. I performed a seat of your pants adjustment and the belt tension is perfect. There has to be a better, more accurate way to adjust best tention other than the Harley tool!

Old 08-31-2007 | 08:15 AM
DirtyDave
Tourer

Tried one, aftermor then ahalf hour, tossed it to the side and did it the old tried and true way. (took less then 10 minutes)

Old 08-31-2007 | 08:45 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member

and did it the old tried and true way. (took less then 10 minutes)
I'm still learning here, what is the "old tried and true way" ?

Quick Reply: Who actually uses this tool????