General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired and being worn out all the time lately

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 11:33 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,174 Likes on 7,673 Posts

1. All of the above.
2. Get a different doctor.
3. Get a full range of blood test as stated above and check your blood oxygen levels.
4. Sleep Apena is real even if you don't think you have it, do the sleep study to confirm or deny.
5. Yes getting old can make you feel tired and worn out.
6. Limit your sugar intake, do you drink sodas during your shift or other times?
7. Looks at a healthy diet.
8. Read this book: The Whole Body Reset
Amazon Amazon

Good luck and good health.

Old 06-23-2024, 11:42 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

As others have said. Eat a healthy diet, properly hydrate, limit caffeine, soda, and alcohol. Get plenty of quality sleep. I also second a full blood panel screening and maybe a second opinion from another doctor.

Hope you get everything sorted out !

Old 06-23-2024, 11:45 AM
BFREE
Grand HDF Member
Received 231 Likes on 177 Posts

I used to want to take a nap all the time. Found out that I had sleep apnea and started using a cpap machine. Haven't taken a nap in ten years. I went to my cardiologist about 7 years ago and he asked if I was tired often. I told him no and he said I was in afib. Had to get an ablation for that. I agree with others that you need to see a different doctor and get a full exam.

The following users liked this post:
Notgrownup (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 11:50 AM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,294 Likes on 2,668 Posts

Originally Posted by klup
the last few months I have been feeling tired and worn out a lot.r
at 66 I certainly don't have the same gumption, nor motivation like when 56, but it wasn't a noticeable "rapid" decline (within a few months)
If nothing has changed (diet, stress levels, sleep habits, environment, etc) and fatigue is rapid new development, I'm with those that suggest a second opinion

..L.T.A.

panheadache (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 11:53 AM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,143 Likes on 648 Posts

Don't forget a good B-complex, vitamin D, make sure you're getting enough potassium & magnesium.

Y2K (06-24-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 11:54 AM
klup
Tourer
Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts

I have worked the same job for almost 42 years loading and unloading trucks in a very big warehouse working nights. A six pack of beer lasts me a month or longer I normally drink one 12 ounce can of soda a night and most of the time I don’t finish it mainly i drink water my biggest problem is I don’t get enough sleep the grand kids get drop off so grandma can see them then all my neighbors have grandkids after school so they or outside. This tired and worn out problem has never been a thing in till about six months ago. Maybe I should see other doctor

The following 2 users liked this post by klup:
BFREE (06-23-2024), CoolBreeze3646 (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 12:42 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,957 Likes on 1,440 Posts

Yea another Dr would be a good bet.
Also have your TESTESTERONE levels checked.
Mine were in the toilet a few years ago.
Been doing the TRT gel since........
MUCH better now!!

Old 06-23-2024, 12:47 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I'm 75. You're too young to be feeling like that on a regular basis, particularly if you have no underlying health issues. Here are a few thoughts...

Having good quality sleep every night is a must. You should try for a solid 8 hours. Are you on shift work? That makes it tougher. Are you sure you don't have sleep apnea? If you're married, has your wife told you that you stop breathing during the night? Do you snore? You might consider a sleep study for a diagnosis. I've been using a CPAP for almost 20 years. I will tell you it has changed my life. My sleep is rock solid, and I have plenty of energy.

Do you have an alcoholic drink in the evening? If you like a nightcap before bed, that will definitely interere with good sleep. Consider no alcohol after dinner. See if that helps.

My biggest challenge is that the damn dog keeps hogging my half of the bed.

Finally, if you haven't had a physical, have one. If your doctor is telling you that your symptoms are simply "getting older", you need a different doc.

EDIT: Just thought of something else. What meds are you taking? Some statins for cholesterol can have a side effect of fatigue. Do a search for side effects of any meds you take, and see if fatigue shows up.

Good luck!! Ride safe!
^^ This, especially a sleep study. Snoring is a good indicator of sleep apnea but you can be a non snorer and still have it.

Old 06-23-2024, 01:09 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,171 Likes on 7,358 Posts

A good doctor and complete blood work as mentioned already is very important.

When I hit 60 things started to change a little. When I turned 63 I was diagnosed with hypo Thyroid disease, aka Hypothyroidism. Don’t rule that out.

We had the bike packed for a long weekend at the beach. We both went to bed and got a good nights rest. I wake up the next morning and could barely walk. I had never felt like this in my life and had zero energy. I told the wife I felt bad and apologized for not being able to ride down to the beach. Later that Saturday afternoon she loaded me in the car and took me to the ER. They did some testing and just said my sodium was low and I was dehydrated. I treated both and felt slightly better but far from 100%. I saw my doctor a few days later and was told by thyroid levels were way off. They started me on medication and it took a week or two to see improvements. They monitored my blood closely and had to adjust the medication three are four times. They do it gradually. Now three years later I am 97.5% now and feel good.

I do pretty much everything I did prior. At 65 I really started to have more aches and pains. I’m having problems now with my hands. The wife who has had carpal tunnel surgery on both of her hands is convinced that is what is wrong with me. I have a physical coming up soon and will ask their opinion on that.

Have them look at your Thyroid.

Best of luck.

gonemad (06-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2024, 01:51 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I will be 69 in 3 months and pretty much everything seems to kick my *** anymore.
I ride the ride all the time,but when i do projects at my sons homes it take me a day to recover. Setting fence posts and trimming trees were the last jobs we did at there house.
The more active i stay the better i feel. Laying around is alright ,but just makes me lazy and don't feel like doing anything.
I force myself to get up and go and once i do i am glad i did.

I try and limit myself to 3 or 4 beers around the house on the weekends, but when i go out that's out the window. Gotta go all in once in awhile

The following 2 users liked this post by hardheaded:
MikeTD3 (06-24-2024), panheadache (06-23-2024)

Quick Reply: Tired and being worn out all the time lately