General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quail bounced off my helmet!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 PM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quail bounced off my helmet!

Was going about 65 and all was clear--when up ahead I see bunch of Quail off to the side of the road. Usually they stay put or are fast enough
to stay out of the way but not this time! They all of a sudden flew up in front of me and all I could do was put my head down--well I felt a thud
and then looked behind and sure enough I nailed one of the little suckers with my helmet! Poor little guy was a ball of feathers in the road behind me.
Impact was not as bad as one would imagine--glad to know ya won't loose your head from small bird impact! hehehe

Old 08-30-2007, 11:07 PM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Quail bounced off my helmet!

Bobwhite quail are usually considered as good flight birds.
Taken from US Game birdsFact book.
Understated eh?

Old 08-31-2007, 12:13 AM
KFly
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quail are goood eat'n. I know 1 ain't much of a meal, but did you stop and get'um...

When I was a teenage kid on a kawasaki 250, tool'n the dirt roads, there was a chicken that started run'n next to me. Well, I guess that sucker saw daylight through my front spokes and made a turn for the worse...

His head was the only thing that made it in the spokes...Clean kill...Being a kid growing up in the country, I had visions of paying for that chicken, all the eggs, all the other chicks, etc...I thought I would be paying for that bird the rest of my life.

Well, being the fine, outstanding young man I was, I picked up the "headless" chicken, and took her back to the nearest farm house, old folks were out side, I said, I'm sorry, but I killed your chicken when she ran through the spokes on my bike, thinking, Oh, this is gonna cost me....Well, the old woman looked at the chicken, looked at me and said, "Thats alright son, we'll cook her up for super." Boy, was I happy.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:31 AM
zoopman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KFly--you are right they are very good game bird to eat and I do take my chocolate lab out every year and hunt these little guys.
I did think about stopping to retrieve the Quail but they are out of season and with the impact I'm not sure it would of been good table fare.