General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 Best Harley-Davidson Engines in History

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 12:14 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynamick
Had no idea the Twin Cam was a double overhead cam design. The things you can learn from the Curated Content Editor!

I thought the same thing....

Trucky911

The following users liked this post:
Dynamick (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 01:51 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,234 Likes on 3,434 Posts

The number of times misinformation is posted in these CCE articles is embarrassing. The powers that be should just cut their losses and discontinue this "feature" of the forum.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dynamick:
Buelligan666 (06-18-2024), Tommy C (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 02:03 PM
jaskoller
Advanced
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

This is what happens when AI starts writing all the articles.

Old 06-18-2024, 04:23 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,517 Likes on 2,714 Posts

Originally Posted by 470004
No Knucklehead or Panhead engines?????????
People love how they look but neither is the best engine, it's even questionable if the knuckle was better than the flathead it replaced. The fact HD dropped the 80" flathead after 41 and only offered the smaller 74" flathead left no choice but to go knuckle if you wanted 80" flathead torque again. A marketing move to help OHV sales. The knucklehead engine is crap in a lot of ways, the Panhead was far superior to the knuckle in every measurable way. The panhead is probably the best second stab at the OHV engine where they got the overhead valve bugs worked out. Gone is the stupid oil return of the knuckle and a simple valve cover that holds oil inside. Then the engines just made more and more power like anything else.

M8 VVT 131 in an FXR frame with inverted forks and big brakes Oooo baby!

LoneBone (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 06:06 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,302 Likes on 6,576 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
People love how they look but neither is the best engine, it's even questionable if the knuckle was better than the flathead it replaced. The fact HD dropped the 80" flathead after 41 and only offered the smaller 74" flathead left no choice but to go knuckle if you wanted 80" flathead torque again. A marketing move to help OHV sales. The knucklehead engine is crap in a lot of ways, the Panhead was far superior to the knuckle in every measurable way. The panhead is probably the best second stab at the OHV engine where they got the overhead valve bugs worked out. Gone is the stupid oil return of the knuckle and a simple valve cover that holds oil inside. Then the engines just made more and more power like anything else.

M8 VVT 131 in an FXR frame with inverted forks and big brakes Oooo baby!
I agree with most of what you said, but my opinion only, the Knucklehead is King. It got the ball rolling on Harley redesigning their engines, and short production years and limited supply (now) has them highly sought after. The Panhead holds a special place in my heart, because my Outlaw Uncle Bill used to throw a kid on the back of his Panhead chopper he built, and rip through town with me hanging on to him with a grin that didn't leave for days. Mom and Dad would have killed me had they knew.

It set the ball rolling for who I would become. Man I would love to come across an original Knucklehead motor. I bet there's only a handful left.

WXSW (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 08:55 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,517 Likes on 2,714 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
I agree with most of what you said, but my opinion only, the Knucklehead is King. It got the ball rolling on Harley redesigning their engines, and short production years and limited supply (now) has them highly sought after. The Panhead holds a special place in my heart, because my Outlaw Uncle Bill used to throw a kid on the back of his Panhead chopper he built, and rip through town with me hanging on to him with a grin that didn't leave for days. Mom and Dad would have killed me had they knew.

It set the ball rolling for who I would become. Man I would love to come across an original Knucklehead motor. I bet there's only a handful left.
Knuckles aren't really rare today, they pop up all the time, it's just a matter of cost. I have two and I love the look and yes I agree it got things started but mistakes made were lessons learned hence the panhead. Honestly for me its a toss up which is a nicer looking engine, the pan is damn nice in a bobber where the engine is showcased and not covered by large fuel tanks.

Old 06-18-2024, 09:22 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,446 Likes on 5,032 Posts

More drivel from the Curated Spam Editor.

Not worth discussing.

Old 06-18-2024, 09:51 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,273 Likes on 3,422 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan89FLSTC
More drivel from the Curated Spam Editor.

Not worth discussing.
AI at its finest. I wonder why it isn't moderated more closely