General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's actually running this set-up??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 01:51 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,848 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
BUT, and a big BUT, CARB and the new EPA emission regs the last year is playing merry hell with doing anything to these machines now. Looking for another ignition for the shovel, sorry we don't ship to California now, same with a mild cam for the M8, nobody is shipping out here unless it's brutally marked up and no warranty through a questionable 3rd party.
Fictional story if the CARB guys are on this thread. "I had to have a slip-ons for my LRST shipped to a buddy in MN then shipped to me"

Old 06-20-2024, 05:01 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,837 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I am surprised a tuner has not chimed in if there was a simple answer.
For every 1 person here that actually knows his stuff, there are 100 dumbasses that ruin it for the rest of us.

The following 2 users liked this post by 702:
Goose_NC (06-21-2024), Rusty Springs (06-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 05:10 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,423 Likes on 6,180 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
For every 1 person here that actually knows his stuff, there are 100 dumbasses that ruin it for the rest of us.
Yeah but are you the 1, or just one of the 99?

Old 06-20-2024, 05:23 PM
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 5,837 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Yeah but are you the 1, or just one of the 99?
Neither. I'm just here to learn and help where I can.

Old 06-20-2024, 08:02 PM
jqb12
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I'll try to reel this discussion in one more time. I was NOT asking for anyone's OPINION on whether to tune or not to tune. I was looking for real-life experience with this. IF you went ahead and added an AC, slip-ons, full
exhaust in whatever combination and DID NOT tune your bike..........what happened? I've heard from 3 people (some PM), who did and said no issues at all. Haven't heard from anyone who did it and a disaster followed. So please, keep your opinions to yourself.

Old 06-21-2024, 07:13 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 328 Posts

Interesting thread/ question.
Post 11 answered the OP question, there may be a few others who answered.

Backfires (pop & snaps) and looking at the spark plug color (before and after - more white for example) could be symptoms of a pending disaster.
A hole in the piston top, seized cylinders I would define as disasters.
It may be the OP is seeking examples of non-tune failures.

Then my opinion , seems most Harley, even if stock, for the last two decades need to be fuel enrichened from 14.1 to 12.1 or so) for better throttle response/ performance and a cooler running engine. Will an air/ fuel tune avoid a disaster? I do not know.

Again, interesting thread/ question.

Old 06-21-2024, 09:52 AM
snake_eyes
Club Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by jqb12
I'll try to reel this discussion in one more time. I was NOT asking for anyone's OPINION on whether to tune or not to tune. I was looking for real-life experience with this. IF you went ahead and added an AC, slip-ons, full
exhaust in whatever combination and DID NOT tune your bike..........what happened? I've heard from 3 people (some PM), who did and said no issues at all. Haven't heard from anyone who did it and a disaster followed. So please, keep your opinions to yourself.
My wife's '22 114 FXBBS has been running slip-ons since purchase and it already has a "high flow" air cleaner from the factory. Never had a single issue and runs like a champ. This question of tuning M8's with a "stage 1" has been put to bed many, many times on this forum.

Now, can we get back to more important topics like the best oil, jiffy vs kick or which side you air your tires on!

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (06-21-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 10:58 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 4,833 Likes on 2,275 Posts

Did you ask those folks "who did it and nothing happened", how many miles they put on those bikes afterwards?

Old 06-21-2024, 11:37 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Got it!
2022 Low Rider ST - Swapped high flow snorkel for flat HD ventilator (stock units on the M8 114s) and S&S Grand National slip-ons. No Tune, ~1,100 miles runs perfect.
2029 Fat Bob 114 - Swapped Grand National slip-ons. No Tune. ~3,200 miles runs perfect.
Co-Worker's Bike - 2022 Low Rider S. S&S air cleaner and full 2:1 exhaust (not sure on brand). No Tune. ~9,000 or so miles. Runs perfect.
Low mileage on these bikes so jury is still out on long term issues.

I haven't heard on this forum or FB Groups anyone with a M8 bike that swapped A/C plus slip-ons or full exhaust without tune that have had issues. Although I will say most who do a complete exhaust do some sort of tune, but have not heard of any disasters not doing the tune.

P.S I am no expert just a dude that has owned a ton of bike. Lol

The following users liked this post:
Y2K (07-04-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 11:39 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by snake_eyes
Now, can we get back to more important topics like the best oil, jiffy vs kick or which side you air your tires on!

Quick Reply: Who's actually running this set-up??