General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Twisted Humor
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why the hell?

ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

Trust me, they're torx.

And I agree..why the hell do they even use those?
I think they might be torx on the inside but you can still use a 12 point socket too. Seems like I remember seeing many bolts on the bike that way.

Old 08-31-2007, 08:53 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Wow I must'a ran across bunch of tool salesmen. Here we go..

Kensim - Did you even read the thread? Obviously not.
mrbadlands - It was a Husky, 3/8" drive..plenty enough for the job.
SteelCityScooter - You don't have to make the font so big and bright that Ray Charles could see it..I have good vision..thanks for a good reply though.
detailer03 - If you have money to burn buddy, that's good for ya. Myself, I can't go buy a $15,000 - $20,000 fully stocked Snap-On toolbox. You obviously didn't read the thread either, or you would have saw where I said that I couldn't get it out with a pair of vice grips because of where it was at..or were you meaning if I mess up the fastener, to buy a new bike?

All i'm saying is that it would have been so much simpler for US (people who work on their own) if they would have just used a regular bolt. Don't need special tools or anything.
It was "highlighted" for a specific reason. Folks have a tendency to attempt to use a "close" tool for a specific fastener. Then they get all bent out of shape when the fastener fails to perform as designed.

The reason for torx fasteners and torx plus fasteners is because of the cost savings in manufacturing.

Mainly torx fastners replace phillips head fasteners because they are designed to be used with a torque sensitive tool. Phillips fasteners are designed to "wallow" when over tightened. (the driver slips out)

Torx Plus fasteners are mainly to replace Bolts, there by requireing them to be meatier to take the extra torque.

The overall cost savings of the torx fastener is in the tooling of the machines used to install them, they have less downtime(lost production) because of less tool tip changes. They have a tendency to align better with automated tools (robot applications), and are easier to use with handheld powertools used on the manufacturing line.

The only real drawback is that the Torx plus Tools are patent protected and harder to find. The only ones worse to find are the "tamper proof" torx plus(got the pin in the center). They are only normally supplied to OEM manufacturers, and licensed repair facilities.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:10 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry you're having trouble. Any luck getting that bolt out yet, Mike?

Old 08-31-2007, 09:14 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, CKG. I got it out after I got another ratchet. Changed pads, and put it all back together. [&:]

Old 08-31-2007, 10:05 AM
Bigfoot
Tourer

Yea, CKG. I got it out after I got another ratchet. Changed pads, and put it all back together. [&:]
Pedal still mushy? You can get a cheap but decent vaccum pump at Sears to bleed them - it works wonders!

Old 08-31-2007, 10:25 AM
michaelbarry
Banned

Yea, the pedal is still just a touch mushy. How much are those at Sears?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 AM
Bigfoot
Tourer

I got this one at Sears for 39 bucks. I am not sure why it says 49 on the web site, but I just got it two weeks ago.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rd=vaccum+pump

If you are near Baltimore you can use mine

Old 08-31-2007, 10:40 AM
michaelbarry
Banned

Nah, Baltimore is a little trip for me I appreciate the offer though. I live in southern West Virginia.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 AM
detailer03
Cruiser

I did not say buy 15k in tools. Go to sears and by the socket set for 30 or 40 bucks.

Maybe you SHOULD take your bike to a pro.
No I do not sell tools, Yes I did work as a mech for many years.
Never try to figure out why they change fasteners, just deal with it. If you are going to work on your own stuff, buy the correct tools. It will save you a lot of BS later.

Old 08-31-2007, 11:17 AM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

These exotic fasteners create jobs for the tool and die industry. I remember when I could take the interior apart in my car with just a few hand tools. The newer models require half the damn tool box!

Quick Reply: Why the hell?