General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've made the decision to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024, 05:51 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Ever think this bikes are just getting to heavy with all this crap on them? Other night I wanted to sell mine and just stay with my old one. Then you got the rear engine guard which tight to the bag, making it hard to get a grip.

Old 06-07-2024, 07:48 PM
NorthWestern
Club Member
Received 6,246 Likes on 3,408 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
Zero situational and self awareness.
Nailed it. Clueless

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (06-08-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:10 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Originally Posted by clackavosticus
RDRS make be extra complexity but it appears to be a proven technology- I haven't read any posts where it has failed and plenty where it has saved someone's butt.
I have had RDRS from day one with the 2020 RGL. I do ride in rain. And in cold and hot.. RDRS is a tool. If you put to much faith in it , it will burn you.
If you use it as intended it will be a benefit.
Unlike a lot of the tech they stick in the bikes it has not had any issues ...yet.
What was surprising about it is how well it worked even with sidecar attached. 114 with a good stage 2 bike has plenty of power. On wet roads with it selected the limiting of throttle response does make a difference. being one to test stuff and play a bit . It has limits. Get off in wet grass it can only do so much. But that would be expected.
You can only turn it off while stopped. Once you shut bike off it defaults back on. But you can put it in or out of rain mode at any time. The normal mode is on all the time unless you shut it off. But that does not totally shut it down..
Good luck finding what you want in 2025.

Last edited by smitty901; 06-07-2024 at 08:13 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by smitty901:
Addicted to Chaos (06-07-2024), clackavosticus (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:17 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,166 Likes on 6,552 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
I am convinced he does not own one. All comments are very vague and general. Just inserting himself into discussions without actually adding value. The most recent pictures posted on an Alaska thread show a sign that looks exactly like one on Google and just a pair of boots. If you have a camera and do an amazing trip to Alaska would you not take a picture of yourself and your motorcycle. My BS meter has been pegged a long while with this guy. No bike pictures, no accessory or improvement posts with pictures or details, no maintenance or anything else showing he is actually a biker.

Engaging with him is a total waste of time and just leads down a dark hole of nothing!
100%.

Can't ride for **** and doesn't own ****. Ask him to post a pic of him and his scoot and he has some bullshit excuse like "we're not friends".......one thing you've gotten right.

I'm not interested in RDRS. I've ridden all over this Country and rain doesn't interfere with those plans. I have good rain gear, and it does a top notch job. I've sat and sipped coffee in a hotel several hundred miles from home waiting for it to stop raining, and weather apps on our cell phones can really help us make decisions. Bottom line is, you gotta go when you gotta go, rain be damned.

I'm lucky in the fact that my wife, if she's along on whatever road trip I'm on, rain doesn't bother her one bit, she has the same Harley rain gear I have. Plus she comfortable going down the highway with me in pouring rain. It's not ideal, just something that has to be dealt with by a good rider and a good machine, not technology.

If you want RDRS, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having it if it makes you more comfortable.

The following 6 users liked this post by LoneBone:
Buelligan666 (06-10-2024), CoolBreeze3646 (06-07-2024), Cosmic Razorback (06-08-2024), gonemad (06-08-2024), NorthWestern (06-08-2024), Uncle Larry (06-07-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:18 PM
Addicted to Chaos
Cruiser
Received 263 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by gonemad
I went out of my way to buy my last three bikes with RDRS. Truthfully, I was interested in TPMS as much as anything, but at 68 years young, and off of bikes for a few decades, I figured I’d take any additional help I could get to keep my old a$$ off of the pavement, and out of the ditch.

That said, I don’t think RDRS is the end all, be all. That comes down to rider ability, and I think if you sling a 900 lb bike the wrong way, then wet pavement, grass, leaves, gravel, sand, gravity, and inertia all become your enemy and can still beat you. I don’t know how much incremental assistance all those artificial systems in RDRS can offer.

Honestly, I’d be happy with just plain old ABS, and TPMS, with a hat tip to hill hold assist, which I also enjoy, especially since my police bike can utilize it in neutral.
This. electronic nannies may be helpful (and that is another discussion), but they do not replace ability.

The following users liked this post:
Tommy C (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:21 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LoneBone
100%.

Can't ride for **** and doesn't own ****. Ask him to post a pic of him and his scoot and he has some bullshit excuse like "we're not friends".......one thing you've gotten right.
e.
Its not an excuse, it is a refusal. Why would I let you tell me what to do? Besides not letting you tell me what to do, there is nothing for me to gain. If you believe I don't have a bike that just shows how intelligent you are. Not someone I would let tell me what to do, or care for.

But I am waiting for the posts on how I crapped on this thread. The fake outrage. From, those kind of people.

Old 06-07-2024, 08:23 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,886 Likes on 19,356 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
100%.

I'm not interested in RDRS. I've ridden all over this Country and rain doesn't interfere with those plans. I have good rain gear, and it does a top notch job. I've sat and sipped coffee in a hotel several hundred miles from home waiting for it to stop raining, and weather apps on our cell phones can really help us make decisions. Bottom line is, you gotta go when you gotta go, rain be damned.

I'm lucky in the fact that my wife, if she's along on whatever road trip I'm on, rain doesn't bother her one bit, she has the same Harley rain gear I have. Plus she comfortable going down the highway with me in pouring rain. It's not ideal, just something that has to be dealt with by a good rider and a good machine, not technology.

If you want RDRS, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having it if it makes you more comfortable.
"I've ridden all over this Country and rain doesn't interfere with those plans" ... Jack ... I've been in 46 of the 50 states ... Pretty sure I've been wet in every one of them

@LoneBone

The following 3 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
Buelligan666 (06-10-2024), Cosmic Razorback (06-08-2024), LoneBone (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:36 PM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,160 Likes on 7,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
But I am waiting for the posts on how I crapped on this thread.
No need to post, it is self evident.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -A. Einstein

The following 2 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
Cosmic Razorback (06-08-2024), LoneBone (06-07-2024)
Old 06-07-2024, 08:44 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CoolBreeze3646
No need to post, it is self evident.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -A. Einstein
Another off topic post.

Old 06-07-2024, 09:05 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,346 Likes on 2,957 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Another off topic post.
You don’t have RDRS on a bike. Assuming you even have a bike. How can you post so much about something you have no personal experience with?

Never mind. That was a rhetorical question.

The following 2 users liked this post by gonemad:
Cosmic Razorback (06-08-2024), NorthWestern (06-08-2024)

Quick Reply: I've made the decision to upgrade