General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've made the decision to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2024, 10:34 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,549 Likes on 7,970 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
I was just going to say slow down.
Rounders makes a valid point...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tommy C:
96hugger (06-05-2024), tar_snake (06-04-2024)
Old 06-03-2024, 10:40 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by clackavosticus
Thanks for the tip - I'm gonna plan on feathering the clutch more carefully on take off in the wet so the tyre won't spin faster than the road. Still gonna upgrade my bike though - once bitten....
It's not so much feathering the clutch, it's more about controlling the throttle. You Canadians drive in the snow and it's the same concept when you are driving a vehicle when limited amounts of traction is available.

Old 06-03-2024, 10:43 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master
Received 207 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy C
It's not so much feathering the clutch, it's more about controlling the throttle. You Canadians drive in the snow and it's the same concept when you are driving a vehicle when limited amounts of traction is available.
I understand throttle control, but my understanding is judicious clutch feathering helps give finer control to the power to the rear tyre....

Old 06-03-2024, 10:49 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

I understand throttle control, but my understanding is judicious clutch feathering helps give finer control to the power to the rear tyre....
I wouldn't worry too much about slipping the clutch. With proper throttle modulation you'll be fine. Don't feed the dog more than it can eat.

Old 06-03-2024, 10:59 PM
clackavosticus
Road Master

I wouldn't worry too much about slipping the clutch. With proper throttle modulation you'll be fine. Don't feed the dog more than it can eat.
With all due respect - I think not feathering the clutch is what got me into trouble - I just incorrectly applied the gas and it was all over!

Old 06-03-2024, 11:06 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,385 Likes on 959 Posts

Used to ride my hard tail springer with no front brake every where. Rain? Yeah. And. I survived. My. How times have changed. Yeah. I ride techno **** now days. 2018 Ultra with ABS. It kicked in once since I had it. Felt kinda weird. Like Clint said. "A man has to know his limitations." Now days manufacturers need to have every little security blanket built in to protect the rider from their self and lack of ability. Where as there are still stupid people still riding stupid bikes with stupid jockey shift and suicide clutch with no front brake. What a dumb *** they are.

The following 2 users liked this post by OLD 96:
clackavosticus (06-03-2024), WP50 (06-07-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 05:29 AM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,292 Likes on 2,666 Posts

I. You Canadians .
he's a "little" farther south than that, Tommy
.................................................. .................................................. ...................................

side note, I don't pretend to know all that much, so I'm confused by "feathering the clutch" in a corner?
how would that help (or be better) than not goosing the throttle on wet/slick pavement?

ETA..., glad you're OK

..L.T.A.

Old 06-04-2024, 06:09 AM
CoolBreeze3646
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,159 Likes on 7,667 Posts

RDRS make be extra complexity but it appears to be a proven technology- I haven't read any posts where it has failed and plenty where it has saved someone's butt.
I have learned my lesson and will be more careful in the rain in future. Like I said before, you can be as careful as you like, but the time will come when you will make a mistake.
RDRS is a good risk mitigation factor in the equation making a repeat offence unlikely, as you will be pairing careful riding habits with the added safety blanket of electronic rider aids.
Riding a dirt bike is very different to riding a 400Kg behemoth. Drifting (even a little bit) a FLHTK is asking for trouble.....
Here in South Central PA there is nothing better than hitting Tar Snakes in the rain when you are on a curve.

Makes for some a$$ puckering moments if you have not experienced it, you feel the front tire start to slip on the wet tar snake, then grab again when it gets back on the hard surface. If you just keep a neutral throttle it will recover just fine.

I have traction control and ABS on a couple of my bikes but not RDRS. The traction control does not seem to kick in fast enough (milliseconds) when you twitch over a wet tar snake. However, it works pretty good when there is gravel or other foreign matter on a dry curve.

It would be good to know how RDRS reacts on a corner with wet tar snakes.

Wish they would sand the tar snakes after putting them down to cover the small cracks.

As I age, I find that my skill set, reaction time, and balance degrades without one knowing it. That is why I went to a trike for the heavier machines, still have lighter two wheel bikes and am constantly practicing my riding skill set.

Good on the OP to keep on riding, get that new bike and enjoy, post up a few pictures and let us know how she handles.

Suffer not from the comments provided by those who seek to derail and thread crapping. https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...ead%20crapping

NOTE:
The above information, while credible, is worth what you paid for it and should not be considered gospel.
Do due diligence, research and have a H-D Field Service Manual before working on your bike.
You will probably have many opinions and suggestions presented; make sure you research the person providing the helpful information as there are some who provide good information that is useful and some who speak out of other orifices with gibberish. You will figure out this quickly.

Last edited by CoolBreeze3646; 06-04-2024 at 06:10 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CoolBreeze3646:
Buster (06-07-2024), clackavosticus (06-04-2024), gonemad (06-04-2024)
Old 06-04-2024, 07:01 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,327 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
U And. I survived. .
I am not again technology. I don't like cost, and harley often seems to use us for R&D, atleast until boomers are gone. Are we still doing cross thread points?
I am concerned about the idea it will make everything ok, and get him in trouble again. I also wonder if he has confidence issue now.

Has anyone asked how the tires were? If you want to throw money around, changing tires before you need to, might do you better. When I went to AK I put 9k miles on in 3 weeks. I could tell the dramatic braking distance increase on the way home. Usually this distance increases over time, and we don't realize it. Tires are expensive, and often have something else we would rather do than change tires.

I have had traction control help me in snow. Again not against buying new bike. But it is a bike financial choice to make on a whim. I don't want see another I paid to much thread.

Another again, as harleys get faster and faster, this may happen more. Again making about me, cross thread points, when I was doing my first 50 miles on my 98" I spun the rear tire in the ran pullling out fast to beat a car, in the ran. More power than I was used to.

The following users liked this post:
clackavosticus (06-04-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 03:45 AM
clackavosticus
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cap77
he's a "little" farther south than that, Tommy
.................................................. .................................................. ...................................

side note, I don't pretend to know all that much, so I'm confused by "feathering the clutch" in a corner?
how would that help (or be better) than not goosing the throttle on wet/slick pavement?

ETA..., glad you're OK

..L.T.A.
Feathering clutch involves modulating the clutch in the "Friction zone" where the clutch plates are slipping. Doing this sends only a percentage of the engine's power to the wheel, thus allowing more precise thrust control than throttle control alone....

The following users liked this post:
WP50 (06-07-2024)

Quick Reply: I've made the decision to upgrade