General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I might have helped too much

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Navychief
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I might have helped too much

A friend of a friend laid down his bike this morning right outside my subdivision this morning. I stopped, he was up and had the Road King up and on the stand by the side of the road. He had a good cut on his arm and obviously a few broken ribs. I didn't know him but offered to trailer his bike and get it to wherever he needed after the hospital trip (ambulance was on the way along with cops, fire/rescue etc.). He mentioned a friend that lives in my subdivision who turns out to be a good friend of mine, so I tell him to get in touch with the mutual friend to make arrangements after the medical evaluation. So i shoot home and get the trailer and return to find him in the back of the ambulance ready to go to the hospital. I tell him "not to worry about the bike, I'll keep it at my house until I hear from him". I then proceed to load up the bike with the help of another biker who also stopped (thank God).

I get the bike loaded and strapped down and along comes a LEO and says I may have hurt this guys chance of an insurance claim by loading the bike before the State Police gets there to do the investigation. WTF??? Not one word was said by an official when I talked to him in the ambulance (there was a county deputy right there), or when I fired the bike up to get it to the trailer, and this bike certianly had aftermarket pipes. State Boys show up and take my name, looks around at the bike and the scene and tells me I can go.

Man, I was just trying to help and now I may have ruined any claim possibilities for this fellow rider. Sure hope the Good Samaritan laws work in my favor here. Here's a tip, If you ever want to help out in a similar situation make sure you talk to a cop first and get his name....just in case.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:22 AM
MisterB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I might have helped too much

You did the right thing. That was very nice of you. Screw what that cops says. If you weren't there, I suppose it would have been better for the guy to be wisked off in the ambulance, while the bike sits there unattended for thugs to take? It's not like this guy ran into another car, or was hit by another car. He dumped the bike. That could have happened anywhere.

Old 08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

had a simular cituation happen to me on Hwy 360 south in Arlington Texas it was comute traffic and this family was moving from Irving to south Arlington Mansfield I was 1 exit from my house and I saw this bike spinning in traffic well some cage cut him off so he locked it up and down the bike went and he broke his leg and was sitting in the center lane of traffic so when they got him to the ambulance I told him not to worry about his bike as I lived right there and would get my trailer and take it home for him
his wife was following him when it happend and I loaded the bike up on the trailer and took it to their house and put his bike in the garge safe and sound .
then I prayed with the family and handed them my card and off I went and have never heard from them again
but the officer who helped me load the bike wanted all my info even tho the wife was right there
never said a thing about a report or accident claim

Old 08-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

Don't worry about it. Nothing against LEO's, but when it comes to claim settling, they don't know chit!

Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
chromepony
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I was riding with a large group several years ago and a guy rear-ended me....messed up my rear tire and fender. By the time the cops got there , we had it loaded ontothe chase trailer. Never had any trouble from the cops or the insurance company.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:55 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

If you didn't happen along and offered your assistance,the officer dispatched to the scene probably would have had the bike towed away and the owner would have impound fees plus the towing fees and probably some more damage to the bike.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:01 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: GTK

If you didn't happen along and offered your assistance,the officer dispatched to the scene probably would have had the bike towed away and the owner would have impound fees plus the towing fees and probably some more damage to the bike.
Quite true, but then the bike would of not been moved until it was released by the LEO doing the investigation. (Professional Towing and Salvage Operators know not to touch the vehicle until realeased)

Chief,
I don't think you really have to worry, since it was a single vehicle accident, and the vehicle was still available at the scene for inspection by the LEO's. And ultimatley released by same.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:11 AM
dsrtdoc
Cruiser

Worked as a profesional tow/accident recovery operator for a few years when I was young. Unless things have changed, as long as position of the vehicle is marked and the vehicle can be inspected prior to release Leo, the accident report can be completed. And the report is all that is necessary for the insurance to complete a claim. I think you will be fine. Hope a guy like you is around if it ever happens to me. Ride Safe. DSRTDOC

Old 08-30-2007, 12:15 PM
rebelmark
Intermediate

Edited

Old 08-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Dinger
Road Master

You did the right thing, Chief.

What was the LEO thinking?This accident didn't involve another vehicle and nobodyelse wasinjured.That bike would have laid on it's side for days until the rider was well enough to call his insurance and get a claims adjuster to the scene? BS!

If you ever move to L.A., I'll call you if I should ever have a problem! I hope this guyappreciates you for your support.

Quick Reply: I might have helped too much