General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUB living next door

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007 | 01:20 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: RUB living next door

Oh good lord...I can't believe this thread is still going....get over it.

There are only a few things I reallllly don't like being called....but RUB is not on the list cause I really don't care. I just ride. Really ...I WISH I were a RUB....ok more accurately just theR part. I'd have more time to ride

Old 09-05-2007 | 02:49 PM
DanoTime
Cruiser

Sounds like the RUB's are fightin' back...
I liked the point system .

"The man who offers an insult writes it in sand. For the man who receives it, it is chiseled in bronze."

Old 09-05-2007 | 03:17 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

point system,....lol,........

Old 09-05-2007 | 07:34 PM
Twolf
Road Master

Rich? Nah. Urban? I guess so. Biker? I think so. God, after all these years I hope I'm not a POSEUR! LMMFAO!

I wouldn't know a Rolex if I saw one, probably look just like a Timex to me. No offense intended toward anyone, but I just don't care for those type of things. BTW, if ya have a cell phone, whattaya need a watch for? The phone says what time it is!

I gotta admit, I AM a RUB! A REDNECK Urban Biker!

If I have extra money, I'll do some performance mods on the bike, orbuy another nice gun! I ain't a chrome junkie, and that Kimber CDP is sure looking good, but so is a set of gear-driven cams and some headwork. HMM...

However, at this point in time,I just wish I had "extra money".

Old 09-05-2007 | 09:59 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

I can afford a bike and I'm not ashamed of that. I had so many dirt poor years that I appreciate the good years. Nobody ever handed me anything and if they did I wouldn't have acceptedit.

If someone were to refer to me as a RUB it is not the "R" part that would offend me. It's the hidden suggestion that I am not a "real" biker. I rode my entire life.....so THAT pisses me off!

Old 09-10-2007 | 07:01 PM
lilredchic
Tourer

Great post.[sm=exactly.gif]
ORIGINAL: Pitts2112

It must be human nature...

I'm new to this forum, just passed my bike test yesterday and will be buying my first Harley, and first motorcycle in October. So I can't comment on the biking fraternity, but I see the same stuff in the flying community. You'd think there'd be a sense of brotherhood amoungst pilots, seeing as how we're all paying a lot of money to do what we all enjoy. But Oh, No! The instrument-rated guys think they're better pilots than the weekend tailwheel pilot, who thinks he's more of a proper pilot than the weekend spamcan pilot, and they're all beneath us aerobatic pilots. It's nonsense but consistent across any group associated with any activity. People always find a way to differentiate themselves and find ways to consider themselves different or superior to another subgroup. Any time someone does an activity that others do, but doesn't do it in the way they do it, they'll find a way to denegrate the others. So guys that ride every day to work think weekend riders are less worthy, guys with money to pay mechanics are looked down upon by guys who wrench their own bikes, etc, etc, etc.

At the end of the day it's all bollocks. We are each enjoying an activity in the way that suits us and the hell with what anyone else does or thinks. I'll sit and have a cup of coffee with any other pilot any day and talk about flying, regardless of what he flies, how much money he makes, and what he does for a living. I'd like to think that I'll be every bit a biker when I get my own scoot at the age of 40 as some guy who's been riding since he was 14. We'll have more in common than what separates us.

But that need for separation seems to be, to some degree, human nature. We can bitch about it, but it's there and it says more about the other person than it does about us. We can respond to it, or leave them to it. I prefer to leave them to it and find common ground rather than separation. I know here in the UK, sport bike territory, that I'm in for a hard time because all I want to ride is a Harley. In fact, I've already caught some guff from sport bike riders and I don't even have a bike yet. Stuff them! I'm going to ride what I want when I want and they can all go pound sand for all I care. I'll be no less of a human being because I will want to ride for fun (and I define that as good weather) than some guy who chooses to ride in all weathers. That's his gig, mine will be my gig.

I guess my point is that what people are talking about here isn't confined to the biking world and really isn't worth spending as much time on as it took me to write this.

Just my $.02 from a complete newby to riding.

Pitts2112

Old 09-10-2007 | 07:23 PM
lilredchic
Tourer

Here I am.... LMAO Lets get started.... I have more watches than I can count ((hubby says fetish)) My current wear is a lime green HEMI fossil watch from Monster Mopar Weekend in ST. Louis, IL. This help?
ORIGINAL: Tony P

This thread RUBbed me the wrong way. The only thing I want to RUB are a few of the hot females that post here. If that makes me a RUB, thenso be it!

Also, can someone please start a "What watchd o you wear" thread? lmao

Old 11-29-2007 | 07:59 AM
MEATCLUB
Intermediate

That right there is some funny azz chit, i dont care who ya r. Thanks fer sharin Blackmouth

ORIGINAL: Blackmouth

ORIGINAL: Rides2007Harley

First, what someone does with their bike is none of my business but it would be hard to top my neighbor.

He bought a used 2001 Fatboy in 02 with 6,000 miles on the odometer and sold it this year with about 7,400 miles on the bike. He had it for over 4 years and put a grand total of about 1400 miles on it.

Now the engine must have had about 20,000 miles on it because every weekend he would start it up and move it to the driveway and let it idle for a few minutes and it would sit there until dark and he would start it up and pull it back in the garage. Whenver he had company he would sit on it and rev the bike to let everybody listen to the pipes. Once he got a few beers in him they would ride it around the sub-division a few laps.

This is not a BS story, this happened for the entire time he had it.
Hey....howdy neighbor.
I didn't know that was you I was living next to.
Why don't you come on over forsome beers later?
I'll let you listen to my Harley when we get drunk!

Hijacking for a moment...hope you don't mind:

You know, most of us probably have neighbors like this at some point, I guess.
Once had a neighbor that spent about a year getting a motorcycle in riding order (wasn't working when he bought it). Man, he talked about all he was gonna do with his bike when he got it running. It was about a 20 year old Honda.

Finally, he got the thing running goodenough to ride some laps in the neighborhood with it. I noticed he'd drop the bike or have a slow speed spill at least 1/2 the time he was going out for a ride or coming back from a ride. So, he was still tweaking the bike to get it running better, but he'd also be fixing damage he did to the bike on the last test-drive!

The real bang about this story is that after tweaking/repairing and spilling/dropping the bike a few times a week (after about a yr of getting it going) he up and sells the bike.

Now, you ready for the kicker?!.....a few months after getting rid of that Honda, he comes to my house and asked if I'd let him borrow my bike to take the motorcycle endorsement riding test at the DMV! He was hoping to get his license and buy a new bike!

I managed to not laugh and managed to not slap him across the head (don't know which was harder to stop from doing) and told him to forget about using my bike. Granted my bike at the time was nothing special to anyone else, but it was special to me...and he knew it. Friggin' idiot.

Old 11-29-2007 | 12:21 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain

No kidding - sometimes we gotta' remember to just let it go. However, it doesn't do much for your property values or the attitude of the rest of the neighborhood have towards motorcyclists in general.

Black - love the sig. Red Barchetta - one of my fav's, Neil Peart - Ghostrider - great book.

ORIGINAL: Blackmouth

I wouldn't worry abouthim or his "nice bike" comment.

Think of every idiot you encounter in your daily life.
If you let each one of them get to you, you'd go insane.

Look at it this way...your wife may get a great deal on some hardly used riding gear from the neighboronce the "flavor of the month" goes stale.

Old 11-29-2007 | 01:00 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

We're losing more and more RUBs everyday. Just check the exodus in the classifieds. I'm gonna them boys.They've contributed lots of clean low mileage bikes to the used market and they've always been good for a laughin public.

Quick Reply: RUB living next door