General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUB living next door

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:51 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: RUB living next door

This thread RUBbed me the wrong way. The only thing I want to RUB are a few of the hot females that post here. If that makes me a RUB, thenso be it!

Also, can someone please start a "What watchd o you wear" thread? lmao

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:53 AM
JamieCarr
Banned

ORIGINAL: Marsh

ORIGINAL: HogBoy

I suspect because "Rolex Angel" is a takeoff of "Hell's Angels". Instead, they wear Rolex's because they're RUB, Hell's Angels "wannabes." In other words, a variation of RUB.

Make sense?
HogBoy, thanks for that explanation, but I don't think anyone missed that analogy, silly as it is. The fact is, anyone who rides a recent vintage Harley had better be well off enough to own a Rolex or he is spending more money on a luxury than he and his family can afford.
The confusion, at least to me, is why the derogatory connotation of "nice bike"???
Marsh
that pretty much sums up my situation,......I dang sure can't afford a Rolex,................and my bike cost more than either of my other vehicles. Thing is,....if I had a rolex,......i'd probably try to trade it for some chrome[&:]

Old 09-05-2007 | 11:03 AM
celticgent
Road Master

I have a bud who has no RUB in him whatsover. He has had the same bike for over 30 years, 72 FLH. He scrimped and saved to buy it and has been busting his knuckles to keep in running all these years. The bike hasn't been pretty for many many years. He rides the hell out of it when it's running. It still amazes him when a new rider goes out and buys a new shiny Harley. That just doesn't make sense to him and can't understand how people do it.
let's see:

he bought a 72FLH "over 30 years ago".

so by your math, he bought an FLH that was less than 5 years old.

yet he can't see how somebody goes out and buys a shiny new harley?

how old, beat up and non-shiny was his when he bought it new or nearly new 30 years ago?

sounds like he doesn't understand folks that are doing the same thing he did, only 30 years later...

?

Old 09-05-2007 | 11:15 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned

Just read this whole damn thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,I have a headache now[:@]

Old 09-05-2007 | 11:25 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Seth

I suspect because "Rolex Angel" is a takeoff of "Hell's Angels". Instead, they wear Rolex's because they're RUB, Hell's Angels "wannabes." In other words, a variation of RUB.

Make sense?
HogBoy, thanks for that explanation, but I don't think anyone missed that analogy, silly as it is. The fact is, anyone who rides a recent vintage Harley had better be well off enough to own a Rolex or he is spending more money on a luxury than he and his family can afford.
The confusion, at least to me, is why the derogatory connotation of "nice bike"???
Marsh
that pretty much sums up my situation,......I dang sure can't afford a Rolex,................and my bike cost more than either of my other vehicles. Thing is,....if I had a rolex,......i'd probably try to trade it for some chrome[&:]
The fact is Seth, your bike cost a hell of a lot more than I paid for my Rolex in 1979. At the time I was riding a 1965 Noton Atlas I restored and a Yamaha Seca, each of which cost more than my Rolex.I didn't buy my first Harley until 1990.
I don't have any of those bikes any longer, but my Rolex keeps on ticking, and is worth more now than I what I paid for it all those years ago.
Marsh

Old 09-05-2007 | 11:32 AM
JamieCarr
Banned

ORIGINAL: Seth

Make sense?
Marsh
The fact is Seth, your bike cost a hell of a lot more than I paid for my Rolex in 1979. At the time I was riding a 1965 Noton Atlas I restored and a Yamaha Seca, each of which cost more than my Rolex.I didn't buy my first Harley until 1990.
I don't have any of those bikes any longer, but my Rolex keep on ticking, and is worth more now than I what I paid for it all those years ago.
Marsh
I really couldn't afford my bike when I bought it,....actually ,..still can't,......but I bought it directly after I learned how short life was,...wife and I both wanted to get off the rice, and we were willing to make some sacrifices. It's kinda a tough bit for us right now until the bikes paid for,.....but worth it to both of us.

Old 09-05-2007 | 12:02 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior

RUBiness is a sliding scale. Some are RUBier than others. There should be a point system to keep it all straight. I thought I would get it started.

RUBCharacteristic RUB Points
New shiny HD 100
Ride the hell out of that new HD -100
Afraid to get many miles on new HD 100
Motherlode of chrome add ons 50
"Chrome Don't Get You Home" t shirt -25
Fingerless gloves 20
JB weld on your bike-50
Dealer does all your service 100
Do all your own service -100
Rolex owner 25
Wear Rolex while riding 75

Just a few ideas toget it started. If we can come up with a good RUB point award system then we can all know where we are on the RUB scale

Old 09-05-2007 | 12:03 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

Just read this whole damn thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,I have a headache now[:@]
Damn RUB!!!!!

Old 09-05-2007 | 12:50 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dswansbiker

RUBiness is a sliding scale. Some are RUBier than others. There should be a point system to keep it all straight. I thought I would get it started.

RUBCharacteristic RUB Points
New shiny HD 100
Ride the hell out of that new HD -100
Afraid to get many miles on new HD 100
Motherlode of chrome add ons 50
"Chrome Don't Get You Home" t shirt -25
Fingerless gloves 20
JB weld on your bike-50
Dealer does all your service 100
Do all your own service -100
Rolex owner 25
Wear Rolex while riding 75

Just a few ideas toget it started. If we can come up with a good RUB point award system then we can all know where we are on the RUB scale
Funny... On the other hand...

Biker Characteristic:
Wish they could afford a new H-D
Wish they could afford chrome
Wish they could afford to pay someone else to work on their bike
Wish they owned a pair of fingerless gloves (mine aren't for sale)
Wish they could afford the Rolex to wear while riding
Wish they were comfotable with their manhood to do all of the above

Old 09-05-2007 | 12:55 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

"I really couldn't afford my bike when I bought it,....actually ,..still can't,......but I bought it directly after I learned how short life was,...wife and I both wanted to get off the rice, and we were willing to make some sacrifices. It's kinda a tough bit for us right now until the bikes paid for,.....but worth it to both of us."

Youare doing it right brother.[sm=smiley20.gif]
Marsh

Quick Reply: RUB living next door