General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUB living next door

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007 | 10:15 PM
06train
Road Warrior
Default RE: RUB living next door

lol this thread is still going
yep...Jewlery"s for ******..So there

Old 09-04-2007 | 10:36 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

It seems some of you guysmight beelitists.
I'm going to show my ignorance by asking what is wrong with saying "nice bike". Sounds like a compliment to me but perhaps it's some kind of insult to "tough guys". Is this true?
And whats with this RICH URBAN BIKER slur? I used to be rich before I retired and have the 30 year old Rolex to prove it. Why is that a problem. Did I have to grow up on the "wrong side" of town to deserve to ride a Harley?
I ride a Harley cause I like to ride them. I also like to customize them a bit to suit my tastes and that takes money. Anybody got a problem with that?
If that means I'm a RUB, so be it and no apologies.
I still want to know what is wrong with saying "nice bike", and I don't think I'm the only one curious.
Marsh

Old 09-04-2007 | 10:53 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

i`m a rub i have a 05 wideglide maxed out to the hilt, and only 12,000 miles, and i don`t ride in the rain and don`t have any desire to go to sturgis, and i even have a leather jacket and leather gloves , and sunglasses, wish i could be like you a real biker

Old 09-04-2007 | 11:03 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Fobar

I don’t know what you all got to complain about. You all make me jealous cause I can’t even afford to buy a Harley. I’m so poor I have to park my butt on a stool in the driveway and go Potato, Potato, Potato, PotatoROOOOM, Potato, Potato Potato, PotatoROOOOM. Compared to me you all are RUBs.
For a Newbie, GREAT post Fobar!!!!

Puts alot in perspective. Hope you get your Harley someday and become a RUB like ALL the rest of us. LOL!!!

By the way, Welcome to HDF!!!!!!

Old 09-05-2007 | 06:16 AM
MikeL
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Fobar

I don’t know what you all got to complain about. You all make me jealous cause I can’t even afford to buy a Harley. I’m so poor I have to park my butt on a stool in the driveway and go Potato, Potato, Potato, PotatoROOOOM, Potato, Potato Potato, PotatoROOOOM. Compared to me you all are RUBs.
This guy I like!!!

I have been on that stool...or one similar to it. At 51, I would consider myself a P(oor)UB. I only have one Rolex (can't wear but one at a time anyhow), drive a Lincoln (not a Jag) and ride every chance I can!

Fobar, I sincerely hope you get your bike soon! Let me know when you do, I 'd like to ride with you. I know ofWinghouse where they love me.

Old 09-05-2007 | 09:37 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I suspect because "Rolex Angel" is a takeoff of "Hell's Angels". Instead, they wear Rolex's because they're RUB, Hell's Angels "wannabes." In other words, a variation of RUB.

Make sense?

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:20 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HogBoy

I suspect because "Rolex Angel" is a takeoff of "Hell's Angels". Instead, they wear Rolex's because they're RUB, Hell's Angels "wannabes." In other words, a variation of RUB.

Make sense?
HogBoy, thanks for that explanation, but I don't think anyone missed that analogy, silly as it is. The fact is, anyone who rides a recent vintage Harley had better be well off enough to own a Rolex or he is spending more money on a luxury than he and his family can afford.
The confusion, at least to me, is why the derogatory connotation of "nice bike"???
Marsh

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:30 AM
mistervc
Advanced

This post as well as other posts concerning RUB's is too funny! In some aspects we all are RUB's. Hell, if you can operate a computer well enough to find this forum, know how to post and reply, you are too savy to be considered "hardcore" bikers. IMO

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:39 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Marsh, "nice bike" in the alleged context, probably meant "nice bike", however the defensiveness and jealousy of the reciever caused it to be taken as "nice bike(but of course mine is so much better)". It's not what's said, it's what is read into it.

Old 09-05-2007 | 10:49 AM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Marsh, "nice bike" in the alleged context, probably meant "nice bike", however the defensiveness and jealousy of the reciever caused it to be taken as "nice bike(but of course mine is so much better)". It's not what's said, it's what is read into it.
Thanks Dejavu. IO guess that makes sense, but jeeze, don't you think some people think too much? I mean wouldn't it be more enjoyable to go out and meet your neighbor and compliment his bike and maybe do some riding together?
Marsh

Quick Reply: RUB living next door