General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUB living next door

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 04:00 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain
Default RE: RUB living next door

Forgot, I also wear a Yachtmaster and live in a gated cul-de-sac.....guess I am a RUB now....

PS-I ride when I want, keep my bike clean (as well as my cars) and do not have any poser T-shirts, vests, or tattoo's.....I love to ride when I have time, and will ride with anyone, anytime....just my .02 worth....

Old 08-30-2007 | 04:29 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Arcane

Why do people get in such a snit over what someone else rides or how they dress? So the guy does not ride in the rain, maybe he knows his limitations. He is not overly friendly, has a bike different to yours and does not ride like you want him to so that makes him a rub? It really sounds like you are angrier over the perceived sarcastic remark of “nice bike” than anything else. Maybe the guy wasn’t being sarcastic at all; some people have a problem conveying what the mean. I have also known people that seemed to turn every thing they hear in to an insult or slight. Not like all us Harley Davidson riders that always ride correctly, dress correctly, and are never misunderstood or misconstrued.

Arcane
Egggsssssfugginssssactly!

If I'm gonna bitch around and make labeling stories about eanch and every soul out there riding a motorcycle, I won't have time left to ride. There will always be motorcyclists with more cash and time than me, there is nothing I can do to change that... as if I wanted to...

Mimo.

Ps: Good reading you Arcane, have you heard from our friend?

Old 08-30-2007 | 04:50 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jconro

I don't ride if the weather sucks and I wear a TAG - can I become a charter member of the Rolex Angels?

Sure. Trade your Tag for a Rolex and your Harley for a Gold Wing. Get it? Angels, Wings, blah, blah, blah.

Old 08-30-2007 | 04:53 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

You have to earn your red wings first.

Old 08-30-2007 | 05:07 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

Also, I am not a HOG member, do not do burnouts to show off, and I have been riding the last 15 years. My vest has no patches on it so I am not trying to be someone else or a poser. I also have a leather jacket for riding in the winter months that I wear. I do own an HD helmet and wear it most of the timeunless its 110 out...I ride when I have the time, and the conditions are favorable...I have the same thinking when it comes to playing golf.

Well, Harley Davidson does promote the use of their products as Sport too . In fact, if anyonewanted todo research, youwould find them doing so in print all the way back to their first advertisements, still do.

I'd also like to buy my friend with the clean Dyna a beerand swap tales if we ever cross paths.
-----------------------------------
06 Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning
88 XLCH Hot Rod
71 810 Dunstall Commando
68 BSA Spitfire
59 Triumph TR6 rigid frame, Bonney head
53 H-D KK
48 EL Pan

Old 08-30-2007 | 05:27 PM
onebadassbob33
Intermediate

sounds like you should mind your own bizz and not worry about who the chick next door is boppin you sound lil bit jealous

Old 08-30-2007 | 06:01 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

Considering all the forum member pics of clean, expensive, chrome-covered scooters sitting next to $40k SUV's & sports cars that are parked in the driveways of suburban homes, I wonder where anyone around here gets off calling anyone else a RUB.
Seems rather ***-holish to me, and I doubt so much name-calling would be going on if both parties were staring at each other eyeball to eyeball...

As for riding in the rain- I hope that doesn't determine your degree of devotion to the motorcycling lifestyle or whether you're a true "biker" or not. If so, I fail on all counts because while I do ride in rain when necessary, I'll always take my pickup when the forecast says it's gonna be nasty cuz damn, I figgered that one out when I was 4 years old. Stand in the rain, get wet. Mama said "Boy, don't be dumb- come in outta the rain." Made a lotta sense to me back then, and still does today.

Guess I'm just a quick learner...

Old 08-30-2007 | 06:07 PM
Pitts2112
Road Captain

It must be human nature...

I'm new to this forum, just passed my bike test yesterday and will be buying my first Harley, and first motorcycle in October. So I can't comment on the biking fraternity, but I see the same stuff in the flying community. You'd think there'd be a sense of brotherhood amoungst pilots, seeing as how we're all paying a lot of money to do what we all enjoy. But Oh, No! The instrument-rated guys think they're better pilots than the weekend tailwheel pilot, who thinks he's more of a proper pilot than the weekend spamcan pilot, and they're all beneath us aerobatic pilots. It's nonsense but consistent across any group associated with any activity. People always find a way to differentiate themselves and find ways to consider themselves different or superior to another subgroup. Any time someone does an activity that others do, but doesn't do it in the way they do it, they'll find a way to denegrate the others. So guys that ride every day to work think weekend riders are less worthy, guys with money to pay mechanics are looked down upon by guys who wrench their own bikes, etc, etc, etc.

At the end of the day it's all bollocks. We are each enjoying an activity in the way that suits us and the hell with what anyone else does or thinks. I'll sit and have a cup of coffee with any other pilot any day and talk about flying, regardless of what he flies, how much money he makes, and what he does for a living. I'd like to think that I'll be every bit a biker when I get my own scoot at the age of 40 as some guy who's been riding since he was 14. We'll have more in common than what separates us.

But that need for separation seems to be, to some degree, human nature. We can bitch about it, but it's there and it says more about the other person than it does about us. We can respond to it, or leave them to it. I prefer to leave them to it and find common ground rather than separation. I know here in the UK, sport bike territory, that I'm in for a hard time because all I want to ride is a Harley. In fact, I've already caught some guff from sport bike riders and I don't even have a bike yet. Stuff them! I'm going to ride what I want when I want and they can all go pound sand for all I care. I'll be no less of a human being because I will want to ride for fun (and I define that as good weather) than some guy who chooses to ride in all weathers. That's his gig, mine will be my gig.

I guess my point is that what people are talking about here isn't confined to the biking world and really isn't worth spending as much time on as it took me to write this.

Just my $.02 from a complete newby to riding.

Pitts2112

Old 08-30-2007 | 06:23 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: Motosportman

Boats,

I was an LDO. I too got cold, and stood watches, and tunred wrenches in all kinds of weather at sea andashore, I was enlisted, went from Chief to CWO to LDO. I agree with your riding in the rain point of view completely.
Thank you sir, you are a real sailor and not one of those Ring Knockers. What was your rate when you were enlisted.

Old 08-30-2007 | 06:38 PM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: Pitts2112

It must be human nature...

I'm new to this forum, just passed my bike test yesterday and will be buying my first Harley, and first motorcycle in October. So I can't comment on the biking fraternity, but I see the same stuff in the flying community. You'd think there'd be a sense of brotherhood amoungst pilots, seeing as how we're all paying a lot of money to do what we all enjoy. But Oh, No! The instrument-rated guys think they're better pilots than the weekend tailwheel pilot, who thinks he's more of a proper pilot than the weekend spamcan pilot, and they're all beneath us aerobatic pilots. It's nonsense but consistent across any group associated with any activity. People always find a way to differentiate themselves and find ways to consider themselves different or superior to another subgroup. Any time someone does an activity that others do, but doesn't do it in the way they do it, they'll find a way to denegrate the others. So guys that ride every day to work think weekend riders are less worthy, guys with money to pay mechanics are looked down upon by guys who wrench their own bikes, etc, etc, etc.

At the end of the day it's all bollocks. We are each enjoying an activity in the way that suits us and the hell with what anyone else does or thinks. I'll sit and have a cup of coffee with any other pilot any day and talk about flying, regardless of what he flies, how much money he makes, and what he does for a living. I'd like to think that I'll be every bit a biker when I get my own scoot at the age of 40 as some guy who's been riding since he was 14. We'll have more in common than what separates us.

But that need for separation seems to be, to some degree, human nature. We can bitch about it, but it's there and it says more about the other person than it does about us. We can respond to it, or leave them to it. I prefer to leave them to it and find common ground rather than separation. I know here in the UK, sport bike territory, that I'm in for a hard time because all I want to ride is a Harley. In fact, I've already caught some guff from sport bike riders and I don't even have a bike yet. Stuff them! I'm going to ride what I want when I want and they can all go pound sand for all I care. I'll be no less of a human being because I will want to ride for fun (and I define that as good weather) than some guy who chooses to ride in all weathers. That's his gig, mine will be my gig.

I guess my point is that what people are talking about here isn't confined to the biking world and really isn't worth spending as much time on as it took me to write this.

Just my $.02 from a complete newby to riding.

Pitts2112
Welcome to family. You will find bikers like to give each other **** all the time. It is harmless and done in fun and the brotherhood is actually pretty good amongst Harley owners.

Quick Reply: RUB living next door