General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUB living next door

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 02:56 PM
Motosportman
Cruiser
Default RE: RUB living next door

ORIGINAL: DeJavu

Hey moto, does a guy who've accomplished what you have in life, a commander, really give a dam about the attitudes of those you mention? I don't think so. 35 yrs ago I was touring Japan on a CB350 bought for $50 of the back lot of a dealer. It was the winter of '73, I had a bedroll, castoff saddle bags, AF flightline parka, Army leather work gloves and boots and good health for a 25 yr old. Froze my *** off sleeping under bridges, crashed in the Hakone mts and rode on.
I have nothing against someone who has worked to have the good things. I'm not one for acronyms but I do take a dislike for those who think they're bikers but don't show respect and hospitaliy for other bikers, regardless of their station in life. It's not just the "RUBs" that show that attitude. You can tell by my sig how I find out who the real brother riders are, all I need to do is flood my Evo chop when it's time to go and most "bikers"aregone. There are a lot of good people on hogs, just have to ignore the ones that just don't get it.
Very well said and thanks for enlightening my point of view!

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:08 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Actually have a pic or 2 of that old late '60s 350, I guess it was the Jap version with the chrome tank panels, If you're interested I'll see if I can dig 'em up.

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:11 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain

Well I guess I'm a RUB and didn't even know it! I love riding my Harley, and yes I only ride if it's sunny and nice conditions. I avoid rain and wind like the plague. I also do not ride at nite due to the fear of some drunk driver plowing into me mainly. I log about 2k miles a year which isnt bad considering full time job, wife, and a 2 year old daughter. I love to ride as much as the next guy, but I am not compelled to ride in bad weather or take 2k mile road trips. In fact, when I do make it to Sturgis, I'll trailer my RK. No way I am riding that far from Arizona nor do I have any desire too. I do not walk around in full biker garb, however I do have a Harley vest that set me back 220 bucks. Long story short, I guess I love to ride, just the same as most of you. I mainly ride weekends as well since that is when I have the most time....apologies to anyone now thinking I'm a lowlife RUB....

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:17 PM
SpeedsterX
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: jfwarren1

Why Rolex Angel, please explain.
I assume it's a play on words as in "Hells Angel" rich due to wearing Rolex.

Visa vie: "Rolex Angel"

Funny as hell!!!!

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:20 PM
Cynic
Road Captain

ya know - It pisses me off when someone passes judgement on me and labels me cuz I don't ride in the rain. They don't know me nor my past. I see these azzholes on the ferry everyday, big baddass bikers vietnam vet etc, mumblin poser, rub etc, becuae I have a spankin new CLEAN 07 Dyna and I am in new chaps, jacket, helmet, gloves and boots. I don't remember seeing any of them commuting on their baggers back in the 70's - when I was on my XL250 or Suzuki GS-425E, bundled up in whatever I could find to keep warm and dryand wearing leather garden gloves, riding all year around, in all kinds of weather, becuase it was all I had. Where were these "bikers" then? like I said I don't remember seeing them, and now over 30 years later, I retire from the Navy as a Commander (went up through the ranks) and have a good job in Boeing and I get the sneer from - what I thought was a "brotherhood" - what BS. Just because I can now afford the toys and the gear. That is absolute BS and unfair judgement - you don't know anyone - until you meet them and learn thier backgound. They can KMA! and as far as the veteran parts go, - don't judge that either, I was in Vietnam, Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom just before I retired. But since I don't wear a vest with it placarded all over it - well then I am even more of a RUB? think again...

I never did get the negative connotation associated with RUB. The only thing separating me from a RUB is I'm not rich and I've been known to use my motorcycle for daily transportation. One time back in MN during a gully-washer when I was in way too much of a hurry to get home and tried to beat the oncoming train, (not smart) one of those moments where time froze just long enough for me to realize maybe I should stop, too late, the brake pads were hydroplaning on the disc's, nothing left to do but gas it and hope for the best. I made it, but just because I hung off the bike as I shot under the arm coming down. It's always been the "biker" thing for me! Saw that phoney sewer starting to overflow as far back as 1970. I also fully appreciate your other observations, but don't feel I have the right to comment. I still do stupid things at 57, like ride I-5 all the way up the coast in the middle of March. I was born with a superior attitude, could care less what dim-whits think and very much enjoy their pain.
-----------------------------------
06 Street Bob
04 Buell XB12S Lightning
88 XLCH Hot Rod
71 810 Dunstall Commando
68 BSA Spitfire
59 Triumph TR6 rigid frame, Bonney head
53 H-D KK
48 EL Pan

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:21 PM
mnvikingsfan
Road Captain

Also, I am not a HOG member, do not do burnouts to show off, and I have been riding the last 15 years. My vest has no patches on it so I am not trying to be someone else or a poser. I also have a leather jacket for riding in the winter months that I wear. I do own an HD helmet and wear it most of the timeunless its 110 out...I ride when I have the time, and the conditions are favorable...I have the same thinking when it comes to playing golf....

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:40 PM
jconro
Intermediate

I don't ride if the weather sucks and I wear a TAG - can I become a charter member of the Rolex Angels?

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:42 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: wmko1

I ride an Ultra Classic and my wife rides a springer. Normally during the day and early evening we leave the garage door open so we can exit and enter the house. The neighbor next door is dating some new guy, "flavor of the month" and one evening he was out in the drive way and happen to hollar over nice bikes. To me it sounded sarcastic. I said thanks. The next day we heard a rumble out front and we were thinking it was one of our riding buddies, so we went to look and it was him on a Thunder Mountain. Shining like the northern star. Of course when he was pulling in he had to make it known he was there by rolling on the throttle about 1/2 tank worth. A little later, him and his new found lady were going to a bike night. She came out all garbed up in biker apperal which we have never seen her like this. Then she about fell of while trying to get on the bike.
That night it rained cats and dogs and later we did not see any bike in the drive but saw his truck. Must have taken it home and got the truck so he could pick her up from the bar.

Anyway, he always has to do a burn out on my street when he is leaving the neighborhood. Not a very good one at that.

I say he is a rub because we see him only on nice days about once a week on the bike. I am tempted to ask him how much it costs him to rent the bike for a day.

Not sure if I am just venting or mad about the nice bike comment.

I've got a good one for ya!

A buddy of mine that rides about 40,000 miles a year
on BMW's moved into a house in CA. in a R.U.B.
area back in the mid 80's when Harley was on it's big
come back with the EVO. Everybody on his street had
a new Harley in the driveway which is where they sat
every evening. My buddy rode to work every day plus
every weekend on his BMW while the Harley's just sat.

After a few months he went out and bought a new Harley
and parked it in the driveway every evening just like the
R.U.B.'s were doing!

Why I asked him?

He said just to show them he could afford to do
anything they could do.......LOL"

I thought to myself, I only wish I could afford to be
that silly with my money (or lack there of)

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:53 PM
JamieCarr
Banned

crap,....I think my bike is pretty clean right now,.......I better go throw some dirt on it[8D]

Old 08-30-2007 | 03:54 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

This is all just so much bull$hit! All these labels, titles, etc. Here's the bottom line boys and girls....just be yourself and ride. All the people that try to act/be something that they are not, are usually the ones that generate these stupid titles and tags.Don't dress, or act like something that you think others will like, just be yourself, and be respectful of others.

sidenote; Hey motosportman, I would love to buy you a beer sometime. I bet you have some great stories from all your service days and duties. Thanks for your service!

Quick Reply: RUB living next door