General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RUB living next door

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 09:07 AM
Motosportman
Cruiser
Default RE: RUB living next door

RUB, BUM blah blah blah... why do we have to label everyone and pass judgement upon them.

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:10 AM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: txfxstrider

Wait a minute. Lemme get this straight. You have an Ultra Classic and a Springer and you keep your garage door open all day with the bikes on display. And you call this guy a RUB? I don't get it. Has he ever seen you riding? Have you ever seen him not riding? Give me a break.

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:23 AM
Ironhorseman
Cruiser

Maybe you could order him some of the fuel fragrance from J&P Cycles, so that way when he does a burnout he'll freshen up the neighborhood. The smell of Pina Colada to me would indicate, "Where's the block party?". Just an idea.....

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...All&page=1

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:50 AM
bosnmate
Banned

ORIGINAL: bowhnter7

ORIGINAL: Fishguy001

wonder how my neighbors describe me ?
Me too. I bet some might call me the same, but hey we all gotta start somewhere or sometime. Is there a time limit on this RUB thing. When do I become whatever you guys are? How many miles do I have to have on my bike or ride a week? How old do my new chaps or 1/2 helmet have too look? Do I have to move to a different neiborhood? Do I have to cut all the sleeves off my tshirts buy vest? How do I shake this so called RUB stamp, if I am one?[&:]
Bowhunter I can answer your questions:

When do I become whatever you guys are?
YOU WILL HAVE TO OF MADE A 1500 MILE RUN WITH 500 OF IT RAIN AND 200 OF IT TEMPERATURES COLDER THAN 20 DEGREES. ATTENDED STURGIS ONCE, MYRTLE BEACH 5 TIMES AND DAYTONA 3 TIMES AND TO PLEASE HEATHER, THE BOOGIE EACH YEAR.

How many miles do I have to have on my bike or ride a week?
YOU HAVE TO HAVE AT THE MINIMUM 10,000 MILES FOR EACH YEAR THE BIKE IS OLD FOR NORTHERNERS AND 15000 MILES FOR SOUTHERNERS AND CALIFORNIANS. FOR EXAMPLE: YOU LIVE IN MICHIGAN AND BOUGHT YOUR BIKE BRAND NEW IN 2000. YOUR ODOMETER SHOULD NOW READ 70,000 AT THE MINIMUM!!

How old do my new chaps or 1/2 helmet have too look?
THIS IS SUBJECTIVE, YOU CAN MAKE THEM LOOK OLD AND WORN BY DRAGGING THEM BEHIND THE SCOOT.

Do I have to move to a different neiborhood?
ABSOLUTELY. YOU CAN'T LIVE IN A GATED COMMUNITY. YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS HAVE TO BE ABLE TO COME AND GO FROM YOUR HOME AT ANY TIME OF THE DAY OR NIGHT.

Do I have to cut all the sleeves off my tshirts and a buy vest?
NO, JUST BUY SLEEVELESS T-SHIRTS. YOU NEED A FEW SLEEVED T-SHIRTS FOR FORMAL OCCASIONS. ALSO, IT IS REQUIRED BY LAW THAT IF YOU RIDE A HARLEY YOU MUST WEAR A BLACK LEATHER VEST.

How do I shake this so called RUB stamp, if I am one?
JUST FOLLOW THE ABOVE GUIDELINES AND YOU SHOULD LOOSE THE RUB STATUS IN NO TIME. ALSO, LOOSE THE WATCH. ESPECIALLY IF IT IS A ROLEX.

I sincerely hope this helps, if you don't want to obide by the guidelines then please feel free to sell the Harley to a real biker and buy yourself a nice Gold Wing.

Old 08-30-2007 | 12:10 PM
cadman311
Club Member

I am just a PUB and am on my three tires for the year. Four oil changes. Two sets of brakes. I wish I was a RUB could just get a new bike if the tire has wear.

Old 08-30-2007 | 01:34 PM
Motosportman
Cruiser

ya know - It pisses me off when someone passes judgement on me and labels me cuz I don't ride in the rain. They don't know me nor my past. I see these azzholes on the ferry everyday, big baddass bikers vietnam vet etc, mumblin poser, rub etc, becuae I have a spankin new CLEAN 07 Dyna and I am in new chaps, jacket, helmet, gloves and boots. I don't remember seeing any of them commuting on their baggers back in the 70's - when I was on my XL250 or Suzuki GS-425E, bundled up in whatever I could find to keep warm and dryand wearing leather garden gloves, riding all year around, in all kinds of weather, becuase it was all I had. Where were these "bikers" then? like I said I don't remember seeing them, and now over 30 years later, I retire from the Navy as a Commander (went up through the ranks) and have a good job in Boeing and I get the sneer from - what I thought was a "brotherhood" - what BS. Just because I can now afford the toys and the gear. That is absolute BS and unfair judgement - you don't know anyone - until you meet them and learn thier backgound. They can KMA! and as far as the veteran parts go, - don't judge that either, I was in Vietnam, Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom just before I retired. But since I don't wear a vest with it placarded all over it - well then I am even more of a RUB? think again...

Old 08-30-2007 | 01:58 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey moto, does a guy who've accomplished what you have in life, a commander, really give a dam about the attitudes of those you mention? I don't think so. 35 yrs ago I was touring Japan on a CB350 bought for $50 of the back lot of a dealer. It was the winter of '73, I had a bedroll, castoff saddle bags, AF flightline parka, Army leather work gloves and boots and good health for a 25 yr old. Froze my *** off sleeping under bridges, crashed in the Hakone mts and rode on.
I have nothing against someone who has worked to have the good things. I'm not one for acronyms but I do take a dislike for those who think they're bikers but don't show respect and hospitaliy for other bikers, regardless of their station in life. It's not just the "RUBs" that show that attitude. You can tell by my sig how I find out who the real brother riders are, all I need to do is flood my Evo chop when it's time to go and most "bikers"aregone. There are a lot of good people on hogs, just have to ignore the ones that just don't get it.

Old 08-30-2007 | 02:19 PM
cadman311
Club Member

I know when I was in army in the 70's the service gave us money to ride on events. And the discount you can get from px on a harley was real nice. I took my bike everywhere with me back then. But I did have the harley it was a rice burner. It was still fun.

Old 08-30-2007 | 02:28 PM
bosnmate
Banned

Moto,

That is why in my post I answered those questions they way I did. It was all tongue in cheek, hence all the smiley faces and Gold Wing reference. I too am a retired Navy veteran, I was a boatswain mate, unlike Navy commanders I stood out on the foc'sle of the ship in sub zero weather during sea and anchor detail either manning a station or later supervising the foc'sle crew and froze my butt off. I have stood and ran unrep stations in rough seas with driving rain. So, now I have made myself a promise that I will not be cold and I will not be wet if at all possible.

That being said, I am not above riding in the cold IF NEED BE. I am not above riding in the rain IF NEED BE. If I am at home and it is freezing outside, I am not taking the bike out. If I am at home and it is raining, I am not taking the bike out. The only way I will take the bike out in bad weather is if it is for a Patriot Guard mission or an organized function of the American Legion Riders.

I don't care what the weather is like outside, if the ride is to honor a soldier killed in Iraq I will ride. He gave his life for the defense of this country and I can endure a little discomfort to stand in honor of him.

I won't ride in bad weather to just bar hop though.

Old 08-30-2007 | 02:55 PM
Motosportman
Cruiser

Boats,

I was an LDO. I too got cold, and stood watches, and tunred wrenches in all kinds of weather at sea andashore, I was enlisted, went from Chief to CWO to LDO. I agree with your riding in the rain point of view completely.

Quick Reply: RUB living next door