General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's an interesting accident situation...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:57 AM
JohnnyBoy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Here's an interesting accident situation...

Ok, Saw iton the news last night here in L.A. (Perris is about 2 hours away near Palm Springs) anyhow, the video tape footage is horrific. Was a Rice Rocket for sure, but the guys body was loged in a crease between the trunk and the rear windshield, smashed in like an accordian, Blood, guts, you get the picture. So the fire station captain where the car driver finally showed up was perplexed as to how this guy could drive home, then drive to the fire station and say "I think somebody hit my car, can you check?" WTF! DUI for sure, got to feel sorry for the kid though, he was just 20.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:12 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have no idea what the speed limit was where this happened but if a parking lot can empty out onto the street there's a good chance this was a residental/business district with a speed limit of 25-45 mph. I'm not forgiving the drunk but at the same time if I was in my cage and was "cold sober" the same thing could have happened with someone going that fast.

The sad part is that the driver will probably be convicted in criminal court but depending on what the civil laws are in the state this happened, he more than likely will not be found liable in any civil court for any injury or death. It probably would be concluded that the motorcyclist was as much if not more responsible for his own death.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm not so sure about the civil part. You're assuming that the jury in the civil trial would be acting on fact, as opposed to emotion. A juryhearing about a 20 year old kid killed by a drunk driver pulling out in front of him might be willing to ignore the kids speed on the bike.

ORIGINAL: whaap

The sad part is that the driver will probably be convicted in criminal court but depending on what the civil laws are in the state this happened, he more than likely will not be found liable in any civil court for any injury or death. It probably would be concluded that the motorcyclist was as much if not more responsible for his own death.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:33 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That was also my reaction. Had the guy not pulled out in front of him.

Had the biker not been going 80.

There is blame on both sides here.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:42 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

He'll get off & be back on the road in no time.[:@][:@][:@]

Old 08-29-2007, 01:21 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: petemac

I'm not so sure about the civil part. You're assuming that the jury in the civil trial would be acting on fact, as opposed to emotion. A juryhearing about a 20 year old kid killed by a drunk driver pulling out in front of him might be willing to ignore the kids speed on the bike.

No, what I'm assuming is that if the kid was going 80 in a 35 (for example) and there were no arguements against that, no attorney would take the case, let alone take it to trial because he would be aware that there was "obvious negligence" on the part of dead rider. No one will argue that there wasn't negligence on the part of the drunk but in many tort states an individual has to be "free of negligence" to recover from the other party and as stated above, I have never met an attorney who would consider the deceased rider to be free of negligence.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

You have a different opinion of lawyers and juries than I do. IMO there are plenty of lawyers around here that would take that case and roll the dice on a settlement before trial, or playing it out at trial. A trial case likethis isn't a lot of money for the firm to front.The news says he was doing 80. Is it in a police report? Maybe, maybe not.

The reality is whenever there are deep pockets involved, people will sue and lawyers will take the case. I deal in the aviation field and when there's a plane crash because the pilot ran out of gas,the family sues everycompany that has a component in that plane.Does it make sense?Of course,not. Does it stop lawyers from taking the case? Nope. Do they win, yep and fairly often.

No, what I'm assuming is that if the kid was going 80 in a 35 (for example) and there were no arguements against that, no attorney would take the case, let alone take it to trial because he would be aware that there was "obvious negligence" on the part of dead rider. No one will argue that there wasn't negligence on the part of the drunk but in many tort states an individual has to be "free of negligence" to recover from the other party and as stated above, I have never met an attorney who would consider the deceased rider to be free of negligence.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

That's a hanging offense in my opinion.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:27 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

You have a different opinion of lawyers and juries than I do. IMO there are plenty of lawyers around here that would take that case and roll the dice on a settlement before trial, or playing it out at trial. A trial case likethis isn't a lot of money for the firm to front.The news says he was doing 80. Is it in a police report? Maybe, maybe not.

The reality is whenever there are deep pockets involved, people will sue and lawyers will take the case. I deal in the aviation field and when there's a plane crash because the pilot ran out of gas,the family sues everycompany that has a component in that plane.Does it make sense?Of course,not. Does it stop lawyers from taking the case? Nope. Do they win, yep and fairly often.

The only thing you missed in my last post was when I said: and there were no arguements against this - - - Of course if there's a question of fact it might go to trial but when all the parties are in agreement things seldom go to trial unless it's just a case of not being able to agree to the amount of damages. And yes, I'm familiar with what plaintiff attorneys are capable of. I was an insurance claims manager (automobile claims) handling southern California and that included the land of fraud - L.A.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:32 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

And now you're retired and living in Tucson. Lucky b***d.

The only thing you missed in my last post was when I said: and there were no arguements against this - - - Of course if there's a question of fact it might go to trial but when all the parties are in agreement things seldom go to trial unless it's just a case of not being able to agree to the amount of damages. And yes, I'm familiar with what plaintiff attorneys are capable of. I was an insurance claims manager (automobile claims) handling southern California and that included the land of fraud - L.A.

Quick Reply: Here's an interesting accident situation...