General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys transport your bikes cross-country?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 10:52 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
Where you headed in Colorado? Perhaps we'll run into each other some time.
Denver. After 16 years in TX, I can't wait to get back to the mountains.

The following users liked this post:
Halojumper (03-14-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 10:55 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
Fyi when I picked up my 2022 Low Rider ST from Palm Springs to drive back to SF Bay Area I kept the bike on my Kendon trailer overnight at a Best Western. Trailer locked to my car, bike locked to the trailer, seat removed and stored inside car. Gal at the desk said I could park it overnight night in front under the lights and awning. Slept like a baby.

U-Haul also has dedicated open trailers or you could get an enclosed one and mount a wheel chuck then remove it and hope they don't notice the bolt holes in the floor. You could put a tarp over the bike at night and strap in on tight. Don't tow with it on and it will mess your paint, but if you wanted to cover it at the Hotel you should be Ok. You could always try a higher end hotel and see if they will let you part in the Valet section. Big tip could help. Some hotels that section is well lite and sometimes secured.

Another option is an AirBnb house with a garage that is midway. I've stayed in dozens of Airbnbs many have garages you could part the bike or trailer or both.

Good Luck!

Great ideas, thank you. The airbnb might actually be the best option.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:56 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by smitty901
Why would you be worried bout leaving a bike on the trailer. Not a darn thing is going to happen.
!. many bike theirs are inside jobs
2. Harley is nit even close to most stolen bike.
3. Why are they going to mess with yours that just happens to be there. Most are planned.
Fair points.

Old 03-13-2024, 10:59 PM
Red Dragons
Road Master

Originally Posted by TexasScooterTrash
In 2009 I relocated to Dallas, TX from a Chicago IL suburb. Just a little 1200+ mile trip. OH MY, how will I get my Dyna there. Here's novel idea . . . Just put yer Big Boy Shorts ON and RIDE IT. My Wife's job ended 3 months after I relocated for work. I rode the Dyna back to Bolingbrook IL, to get her.We rode 2 up back to Dallas. I'm 73, looking at 74 next month. The "KIDS" today make me laugh. Back in 1998 I rode my 1972 XLCH1000 from Woodridge IL to visit my Sister . . . in Oceanside CA. A nice little 2400+ ride there.

Yeah, again, I need to move things in my tow vehicle as well. I can't carry everything I need on my bike. Thanks for the input though.

Old 03-14-2024, 07:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,428 Likes on 2,768 Posts

I move bikes in the back of my pickup, one or two. I always have a cable lock through the bike frame to the truck and if I stop overnight at a hotel I cover the bike in the back of truck. I also like to back the truck into locations that would prevent another vehicle to pull up behind me and quickly unload the bike. Sometimes that is up to a wall, but sometimes landscaping with a drop off can also work. I will ask for a room facing the front of the hotel then I will park after I have been in the room and see my view form the window. I like to be able to check during the night.

I have never had an issue, but issues can arise. I agree better hotels are generally in better neighborhoods. Overall, the bike has insurance, do what you can.

The following 2 users liked this post by Architect:
Red Dragons (03-14-2024), tar_snake (03-18-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 07:43 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,901 Likes on 2,431 Posts

To and from Ft Worth, I used Keyboard Transport and they were great.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:52 AM
NEWROADSTER
HDF Community Team
Received 499 Likes on 180 Posts

That is what I was thinking if you did not want to mess with it. They are reasonable.
http://www.keyboardmotorcycleshipping.com

Red Dragons (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 10:03 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,912 Likes on 4,135 Posts

OP, your location indicates that you live in Austin. That means that you are moving from California to Denver.

Have a safe trip. I hope it all works out for you.

ieatchickens (03-19-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:07 AM
bduds65
Road Master
Received 552 Likes on 350 Posts

I would always recommend an enclosed trailer. Yes, expensive if you need a larger one to carry two bikes. Yes, you have the cost of a parking it at a storage facility if you live in the city or even suburbia. Yes, you need a pickup truck or SUV up to the task. yes, yes...

But, if you intend to get your use out of it, the benefits are: 1) Your bikes are safe and out of the elements during a haul. 2) Unless you are retired and have unlimited time on your hands, you can trailer the bikes to get to destinations father away and enjoy your actual vacation time more. The you only need to worry about weather AT your destination. Not every mile along the way. 3) If it is large enough and you keep it clean, you can use it for camping and not have to setup a tent. An easy pop-up tent covers the bikes overnight 4) You can help people move. We have had our 7' x 14' for a year and moved people three times. The bikes are still "waiting to be hauled" LOL We are planning on camping (including a ride) at least once this year.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:53 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,790 Likes on 11,580 Posts

Lock the trailer to the towing vehicle. Lock the bike to the trailer. Keep your insurance active. Sleep!well.

Quick Reply: How do you guys transport your bikes cross-country?