General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why? American Legend/Made in China?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:05 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why? American Legend/Made in China?

Harley gets their leathers from China because Hugo Chavez hasn't added leathers to the Citgo product line, yet.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes we should care! Unfortunately most don't. As long as the labor laws from country to country are so different, most large companies will offshore their work. Remember, they are in business to make MONEY not friends. The American citizens pay the price, both, monetarily and with the loss of jobs. It's a damn shame, but it's a fact of life.

grooveman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the Harley leather and I think its decent quality and I really dont like the fact that its made in China either, or Indonesia or wherever. But everyone knows that Harley is a profit driven company. So with that, why should they buy from a U.S. supplier that will charge them more for the item because they pay their workers $10-15 an hour, when they can buy the product for much less from a Chinese sweat shop that pays the workers 50cents a day and a bowl of rice?

I wish all of their stuff was made in the U.S. but it is what it is.

pkenyon1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the guy that makes the clothing for Ness...'reputidly' in Taiwan....go figure!

Economics say that if you dont have unions and labour laws it will be cheaper to make and more profit can be had.

Fact of life

I know a lot of Chinese workers and Chinese factory owners....product is made to the specification of the buyer.

It is the retailer or brand name that sets the standard, nothing more nothing less.

...and dont bitch about polution, striving for lower pricing just pushes production overseas. Polution is a bi product of manufacture that we have chosen to export!

Thats all

Old 08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't pay 500 or 600 bucks for a made-in-Pakistan jacket from Harley Davidson when I can get a better jacket from an American manufacturer for a couple hundred dollars less. Besides, who the hell wants a jacket with a big Harley logo embossed across the back?

Old 08-28-2007, 04:11 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

A ways back Harley had two types of bolt on product, Harley Davidson (made in USA) and American Eagle (made overseas, china, taiwan, etc).
Due to greed, bowing to shareholders, etc, virtually everything is now made overseas (the bikes are still made here, right? - SARCASM).

Anyway, have only owned one HD leather and that was because I got it used. If you must have HD leather get it on clearance or ebay and save some greenies. I got a nice HD jacket, not leather at my local dealer for 75% off. $110 jacket for $30. They had all the leather at 60% off too.
Even at 50-60% off I'm sure HD is making money on these chinese jackets.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:53 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blackmouth

Now, I'm looking for a leather vest (I know...I'll look like a poser, but so what?) and I've yet to find a leather vest locally that compares to the heavy-duty stuff I found at the HD dealer.
If you are looking for a good vest that will probably last for 100+ years, I'd recommend the HD Piston 2 vest.

I've worn a lot of different vests over the past 35 years, and the Piston 2 is the best of the lot. Very heavy leather, side lacing, and holds up better than any others if you happen to wear patches, etc..

You can usually find them on sale for around $130, and it's a one time purchase that will last forever. (The side lacing will even allow for a few inches of 'growth', in case you gain weight).

BTW, the Piston 2 is made in Mexico, not China in case it matters to anyone.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:04 PM
docsg
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: whaap

If you can possibly take your emotions out of, the leather products that Harley sells are the top of the line. Do they make a huge profit off that stuff? You bet.
Screw the emotions and I don't really care where the products come from--but "leather products that HD sell being the top of the line?" I think it is "middle of the line" stuff being sold at "top of the line prices." I know I speak from a personal view but I have an HD leather jacket and chaps. The only time they are a decent value is when they have a 40% off sale in the middle of the summer. I've seen stuff from Fox Creek thatis amuch better at a significantly lower price.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:12 PM
GEARMASHER
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DocHarley

A Cows a Cow made by God not by Chinamen. So who cares.
Oh no my friend , American cows don't bark or meow !

Old 08-28-2007, 07:46 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Made in China? Man, talk about OLD news!

Quick Reply: Why? American Legend/Made in China?