General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk cams..........

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 08:09 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Let's talk cams..........

Hey guys,

I'm going to write a review on my new 510G S&S cams, which are gear driven vs. chain driven.

These cams are really nice in a bike that has a 5 speed with the SE Gear down kit. I've read that many like like Andrews T-37, especially in the FL's (baggers), because it's a low RPM "grunt" cam. These 510's are like a stocker until 3,000 RPM, then WOW!!!!!!!!

Who's running what for cams? Who likes the chains, and would rather change the followers out every 20,000 versus put up with the gear whine, etc.

P.S. Again, if interested, I'll be putting a review on my cams in the "reviews" section.

joe

Old 11-20-2005, 11:24 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: Let's talk cams..........

My review is up...............I guess I'm the only one with cams, huh?

joe
[&:]

Old 11-20-2005, 11:55 PM
fxdxsteve
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are the lift and duration on those 510 g cams I'm running the branch grind andrews cams 560 lift 256 duration at .050 lift I had the bigger valves and porting and polishing at the same time with the stock gearing I pull the front end up when I hit 3rd gear hard ran a 10.57 at 123 mph on the dyno drags I'd post the dyno sheet but I can't find it

Old 11-21-2005, 12:30 AM
Hugo
Cruiser

traveler...I paid for my gear driven cams a couple days ago and a power commander. we haven't decided on what cams to go with yet. I never ride my Dyna over 90 MPH and seldom hit 80 MPH unless I am passsing. the guy that is going to do the work is a well known harley stroker engine builder and I trust his judgement. Gear noise isn't a issue for me when I weigh the possible bad aspects & besides I think my vance & hines will drown out any other sounds. I average 25,000 miles a year & don't want to have any paranoia over when to do the followers. I don't want a race bike and am pretty much happy with my bike the way it is (stage #1). I have followed all of your post closely so as to gain information from what you have experienced. thanks, hugo

Old 11-21-2005, 01:33 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

I've got a set of 203 cams installed in my EG Standard, I did this before I took deliverly of the bikeand I love it, the thing is strong down low and I don't think it's a sloucth when it comes to the top end either, there also seems to be a power band that kicks around 2600 rpm's, it's great.
Now as far as the chain goes, I had to leave them in for awhile, or at least until they wear out, then they will be replaced with gear drives, a freind of mine has them installed in his fatboy and they are very quiet.

Old 11-21-2005, 01:56 AM
fxdxsteve
Banned

my geardrive has always been quiet no whine at all

Old 11-21-2005, 02:10 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

ORIGINAL: fxdxsteve

my geardrive has always been quiet no whine at all

I guess maybe when they started making the gear drives at first, they may have had a problem with whine, or someone didn't know what they were doing , anyways, if it weren't for the warranty I would have had them installed in my bike.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:40 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I also have the 203 cams,just had a stage 2 done,had both camchain tensioner and the follower changed while it was being done,surprizingly there was very minor wear for 9,000 miles on them,when I spoke to the dealer mechanic about how they looked ,he said he was very surprized at there condition,he expected alot more wear on them. I should be good for the up coming season with the cam chains and next winter i'd like to go with the gear drive set up when i can save up some coin to do it,wasn't in the cards this time.
You guys are awesome with all your knowledge and experience,I've learned alot about my bike in the short time i've owned it and since hanging here at HD Forums. Thanks

Old 11-21-2005, 09:13 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member

the 510Gs are:

.510 lift both intake and exhaust
Duartion intake 236 ; exhause 252
timing , i beleive 56/20 ; 20/36 ; as close as you can get without suffering from valve overlap

p.s. Andrews T-37G cams are perfect for the type of riding you're doing, at least that's what I have been reading.....I went with the 510G's because of my gear down kit, and I have a light bike, and wanted alot of mid range snap!!!

joe

Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 AM
fxdxsteve
Banned

I guess maybe when they started making the gear drives at first, they may have had a problem with whine, or someone didn't know what they were doing , anyways, if it weren't for the warranty I would have had them installed in my bike
mine were put in march of 2002

Quick Reply: Let's talk cams..........