General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highway riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007 | 01:58 PM
bikereef
Advanced
Default RE: Highway riding

I always guard my right on whichever lane I ride on (on the highway) for exactly the same reason whaap pointed out, If a car is on the left lane and is coming up behind you they will likely want to make sure they clear you before switching right onto your lane, if you dont guard the lane then they may be sloppy about it and bully themselves into your space...

Old 08-28-2007 | 02:03 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

A couple of other things to consider.

Do not linger next to 18 wheelers or other big trucks. Either pass them quickly or stay a safe distance behind them. If they blow a tire at highway speeds and you're beside them or right behind them, bad things will happen.

Be very wary of following behind any vehicle that is carrying things loosely(or not secured at all)in the back of their open end vehicle. Bags, boxes and worse can come flying out at a high speed right at you. Don't stay behind them or beside them. Pass them if able.

Old 08-28-2007 | 02:12 PM
WVICEMAN
|
Road Captain

The reason I brought this up is I left Detroit and headed to West Virginia and had a real bad experience in Columbus when a car damn near ran me off the interstate and cut me off so I couldn't make my exit. This was my first real ride on the Interstate for any distance. By the time I got back to detroit I logged 1000 miles but was a nervous wreck during my week of riding and really thought about giving it up. I know it was a mistake to take on a ride like that without easing into longer interstate rides but now I'm over it and trying to get some good poiters to bring my comfort level back up. I appreciate all your inputs.

Old 08-28-2007 | 02:14 PM
SweetwaterBob
Intermediate

I like to ride in the #3 lane when riding the freeway. I always ride to the left of the lane I'm in unless in a group where position is determined by your place in the within the group. I find the freeway a good way to make time if you need to be somewhere fairly fast. Having grown up in SoCali Freeways are a fact of life and I've been riding them for quite awhile so my comfort level with them is good. Like others have said stay within your comfort level. Keep your head on a swivel and do what you can to gaurd your lane and be seen.

Old 08-28-2007 | 06:36 PM
Bluerose

Well not much to add to the rest.

My doctor did say one thing that might help you on the freeway. He said, "If you ride your bike like you drive your car you will be OK."

To put that into context I ride like I drive all the time. I give extra stopping room in front, I speed up, and slow down to adjust my lane position for my next manuver and visability, I avoid areas that can bottleneck and cause confused danger (slow lanes next to merging traffic and places where lanes cut down or merge).I have not had an accident or ticket in 15 + years...and it does not mean I drive like grandma It also does not mean I have not had close calls.....Though I am probably more aware on my bike of what is around me then I tend to be in my cage but that is a good thing.

Unless you are a wreckless car driver you are probably not a wreckless bike rider. You drivea freeway/Highway all the time in your cage you should be able to do it on your bike with just as much confidence. Just stay visible an ride at yourcomfort level.

BTW...Mydoctor said that for another reason...He is the crazy rice rocket type that trys to kill himself every time he is on a bike...so he stopped riding.

One other peice of advice....get off the slab now and then. I find long trips on the Highway/ Freeway/ Interstate are tiedious. I like to take side trips even if just for 20 minutes or so....find a road that runs in the same direction...slow down a bit and relax while pulling in some scenery...that will keep you a bit calmer when you get back on the slab.