General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson, Rolex in 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 09:38 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I've broken several crystals from several different ways: bike crash, welding slag, drop on the floor of the OR. It cost me more to fix the watch and took longer than to fix the bike I dropped. But general maintenance: Cleaning/oiling or whatever they do to it. That ain't cheap and you need it with a new crystal or every few years just wearing it. I think the recommended interval now is either 5 or 10 years, but they used to recommend it every 2 years. The last cleaning job cost me over $800 and was done by a Swiss guy trained at a Swiss watchmaker school. The band wears out, especially the 2 tones and the jubilee style is much worse than the one with 3 parts across like mine. The clasp wears out.

When the clasp pin broke on me once, I took it to a local jewelry store, a real stand alone jewelry store on the main drag of the town that all the money in Arkansas resides at (which is actually quite considerable... cough... WMT... cough), that said "jewelry repairs" on the front. I showed the guy the broken pin on the clasp and asked if they could replace the pin. He takes it in the back to the "jeweler," I hear "tap tap tap tap," the guy comes out and says "Here, I fixed it. I used a paperclip," all proud of himself. I felt like saying "You used a paperclip to repair my $4000 Rolex. Prey, tell, was it stainless?" I just said "What do I owe you?" and left.

Best accuracy (time) I have had is about 6 seconds a day fast. Now, if you understand the difference between a watch and a chronometer, 6 seconds a day fast, every day without any difference, is actually quite good for a chronometer. A chronometer measures rate, not time. And the watch specifically says "Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified" on it, not "watch" or "clock" or "I keep time...." It has been around the world with me at least once, and I used to take sun lines with it on the bridge of the ships I sailed on, which is what you use chronometers for.

That's why I love my old 2-Liner SS Submariner from 2004.

The following users liked this post:
Dr.Hess (01-09-2024)
Old 01-09-2024, 08:04 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 947 Posts

I've got a couple in a drawer in my closet. One is 40 years old, and one 30. I also gave one to my son in law. I don't think I've worn either in years. I also don't think I've ever worn one while riding my HD. My wife on the other hand wears hers everyday. I bought it for her as a Christmas gift back when we were dating. I knew exactly what I was doing when I bought it, if you get my drift.

Old 01-09-2024, 03:26 PM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,308 Likes on 6,747 Posts
Old 01-09-2024, 03:40 PM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,055 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Originally Posted by 470004
But this is about Rolex's and Harley's !!!

Old 01-09-2024, 06:43 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,360 Likes on 854 Posts

I got mine a Venus Jewelers in Bangkok for around 20 bucks in the late 80's.

Old 01-09-2024, 07:44 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,711 Likes on 1,372 Posts

There is a distinct difference in the way privately owned companies grow versus those owned by investment firms or gone public. In that transition two things happen. A lot of the capital has been taken out and the new owners need to replace it quickly and innovation gives way to consensus, no risk decisions and finding ways to increase profit margins.

Without a clear vision, products either fall in quality or become stagnant, using tweaks and advertising to create a demand.

The very worst person to run a company is an accountant or lawyer. Zero risk. Innovation takes risk. I’ve always felt that a lawyer or accountant should be number two, telling the leader what the risks are. The leader, then makes the decision whether the potential reward is worth the risk. It simply does not work the other way around.

Also, a committee without a strong leader will make every compromise, making it impossible to get an innovative leadership product. Couple this with engineers working remotely or broken into separate teams that don’t meet daily so every group knows and sees what’s happening to the entire product leads to disasters. Always, no exceptions. Oh, it can be Mickey moused together to work, but that’s the best outcome.

I do not agree with the OPs story line, but I do agree with its direction. Harley was just trying to survive, made mistakes and learned from them. I’m not sure that’s the case today. It’s not a perfect story, and this period may be remembered as akin to the AMF days. A lack of vision and not understanding the consumer for their product has killed a lot of good companies. I’m praying, but I don’t like the direction and I do not think they will change in a timely fashion.

It is a trend that every popular product starts out affordable and moves to luxury, even at a cost of sales against increasing profit margins. Look at the American roadsters that became luxury behemoths. Today, they become electronic behemoths.

First, do you want a headlight and horn, a speedometer, then an electric starter, then disc brakes, then fuel injection, then ABS, a radio, a GPS, and entertainment systems. The more you add, the more you can charge, the less the bike matters. That’s what made the sportster so great, the road king so great, the Dyna so great, the soft tail so great. They were to ride. Not so much anymore. Not better or worse, just different. A difference I don’t need, but many do.

The following 2 users liked this post by son of the hounds:
Dr.Hess (01-10-2024), s-glide76 (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 11:06 AM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,962 Likes on 1,764 Posts
Default Harley and Rolex

"The more you add, the more you can charge, the less the bike matter."

I enjoyed your analysis above.
Understanding your customer base and having leadership whom are willing to take the risk to develop products that customers long for is a hard thing. Especially when it comes to motorcycling. For myself certain Harley models stirred my interest enough that I wanted to own them..The look, the paint colors the chrome and the name on the tank Harley Davidson.. There was something linked to the heritage of a Harley that made them unique. The family was still at the helm which I think mattered too. Every red blooded American boy who has ridden a motorcycle longed to own a Harley..or so it seemed.
Somehow over the last thirty years or so, manufacturers have taken a recreation vehicle and turned them into a two wheeled car. Driving the cost of buying and maintaining out of reach for most people.Its not just Harley either. The Japanese, and German machinery has followed in technology and price. I guess in the end it is what it is and the simplicity that once was is gone.

Old 01-10-2024, 11:24 AM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,845 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
"The more you add, the more you can charge, the less the bike matter."
Somehow over the last thirty years or so, manufacturers have taken a recreation vehicle and turned them into a two wheeled car. Driving the cost of buying and maintaining out of reach for most people.Its not just Harley either. The Japanese, and German machinery has followed in technology and price. I guess in the end it is what it is and the simplicity that once was is gone.
I think it's evitable that Harleys (Along with other brands) are becoming more technology dependent, because society in general has become a slave to technology. Of course not everyone, but the VAST majority of people who are consumers want the tech in their toys, electronics, cars, houses, appliances, gadgets, etc.

- We have bikes and cars with built in Navigation, stereos, and the ability to answer the phone or voice text while driving! Most people under 35 cannot read a map!
- People need to wear an Apple Watch on their wrist that connects to an iPhone in their pocket, because it's too much trouble to reach into your pocket to answer the phone!
- We have houses that unlock the doors and turn on the lights when we enter. We call out to Siri or Alexa to turn on the TVs, or set a timer, or to find out how many teaspoons in a tablespoon!
- We have refrigerators with WiFi to tell us we need to buy milk. Then we buy the milk with our phones or tablets!
- We doom scroll Instagram or Facebook, admiring the new cool tech we need to have to keep up with the other cool kids with new tech!

The days of simple anything are gone gentlemen never to return. Hell in 200 yrs Humans will have short 12" arms just long enough to hold a device up to their noses. Trask and Thrashin are already working on new risers and bars for Human T-Rex arms.

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 01-10-2024 at 11:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
s-glide76 (01-10-2024), son of the hounds (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 01:57 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,711 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
I think it's evitable that Harleys (Along with other brands) are becoming more technology dependent, because society in general has become a slave to technology. Of course not everyone, but the VAST majority of people who are consumers want the tech in their toys, electronics, cars, houses, appliances, gadgets, etc.

- We have bikes and cars with built in Navigation, stereos, and the ability to answer the phone or voice text while driving! Most people under 35 cannot read a map!
- People need to wear an Apple Watch on their wrist that connects to an iPhone in their pocket, because it's too much trouble to reach into your pocket to answer the phone!
- We have houses that unlock the doors and turn on the lights when we enter. We call out to Siri or Alexa to turn on the TVs, or set a timer, or to find out how many teaspoons in a tablespoon!
- We have refrigerators with WiFi to tell us we need to buy milk. Then we buy the milk with our phones or tablets!
- We doom scroll Instagram or Facebook, admiring the new cool tech we need to have to keep up with the other cool kids with new tech!

The days of simple anything are gone gentlemen never to return. Hell in 200 yrs Humans will have short 12" arms just long enough to hold a device up to their noses. Trask and Thrashin are already working on new risers and bars for Human T-Rex arms.
This is the detail to my earlier post. I listed a few things that were added since 1900’s. For me, the electric start was a huge reason to sell my ironhead. As I started touring, a windscreen became appreciated, but not on the sporty. I don’t need a tachometer, but even the mechanical speedometer was nice, especially given the rise of posted speed limits in the late 60’s. I loved disc brakes, but now that I have ABS I prefer the faster stopping power of non ABS. It’s okay, but unlike a car, it adds distance for an experienced rider. I don’t want a radio, or tape, or cd, or iPod, or streaming music. Music to me is the engine and exhaust sounds. I don’t need LEDs. I think they cause more issues than the cheaper cost to manufacturers. I don’t mind them, but I don’t need them and I ride a lot before dawn and we’ll into the night. Even in deer, elk, turkey country, I see far enough to not hit them.

But I’m not a millennial, gen x or what ever our new category. I understand they need these things. What detracts from my riding experience is crucial to theirs. Touching a screen, talking to their friends, looking at their screen for direction and music selection and phone numbers is what makes them feel joy while riding. I don’t get it, but I understand they are bored with my ride. They need input. My input are road conditions, engine sounds, weather, smells, potential hazards like animals, cars, tar snakes, glare, blinding led headlights, etc.

So I understand I’m not Harley consumer any more. I understand why the don’t sell a basic motorcycle, why, despite the EPA, that the sportster does not fit their new direction. Yes, they need to modernize. But they are leaving an entirely huge market on the table for others as they chase the most profitable short term goals. They are creating the niche for Royal Enfield and others. Even a totally social media dominated rider can feel the joy of a motorcycle like the stock XL. They just need a chance and it will not be on a Harley.

Okay, I got off topic, it’s snowing so I’m in a bad mood, but I’m playing golf in the snow later, so life is still worth living. ( only nine holes, a man must know their limits and it’s a great way to use up a 5 gallon bucket of used *****, in the spring, some lucky golfer just won’t believe their luck.) okay, second at noon cup of coffee done, time to shovel. Clubs are ready.

The following users liked this post:
Calif Fat Bob (01-10-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 02:32 PM
s-glide76
Road Master
Received 1,089 Likes on 441 Posts

I have 9 bikes in the garage and none of them have a stereo.

I bought a new Electra Glide in 1997 and sold my 2018 Indian Chieftain 2 years ago. For 25 years I had at least one bike with a stereo.

I don't miss the radio, I find myself enjoying older basic Harleys more then the new, refined rolling computers.

If I need technology my phone in a handlebar mount works just fine.

Edited to add: I'm more of a Timex person. \"Takes a licken and keeps on ticken"

Last edited by s-glide76; 01-10-2024 at 05:53 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by s-glide76:
Calif Fat Bob (01-10-2024), Garage Queen Rescue (01-10-2024), TedMan (01-10-2024)

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson, Rolex in 2024