General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson, Rolex in 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2024, 11:25 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,099 Posts

I'm still waiting for the guy to post here who is riding a Honda Shadow but he "almost bought" a Harley-Davidson. It reminds me of the people who see me limp or my veteran license plates and tell me they "almost joined." My response is always about the same, "yeah, me too."

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 07:15 AM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,031 Likes on 2,552 Posts

Originally Posted by Paintslinger16
Rolex’s while touted as a pretty robust timepiece, are required to be serviced by an authorized dealer and tech, they will hold this against you if you want to trade in or sell.
Now you may not have any issues it looks fine and keeps time as it should, but they will look up the record, every watch has a unique SN, and tech will put a cypher code inside so you can’t fudge it.
This means a watch with no service record will get boned for value on a trade in or sale.
I never wore mine had the factory box which I kept it in and all paperwork, the first offer was ridiculous and I just thanked and started walking, and then the jeweler not wanting to lose a mint Milgauss came up with another 2k

I wear a Apple Watch, on my third version and you can buy the Apple for the price of a Rolex service.
Baloney, I've had several Rolexes and always made money trading them in and never serviced any of them. The box, original papers and dial condition are everything. It's like saying you didn't change the oil on your Knucklehead that sat in your office so now its worth less.

6113_ (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 07:26 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,823 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
Thanks guys for the info on Rolex. Just wondering what " service ," they require. Since they are automatic timepieces what goes wrong with them? They don't require battery changes. I have a Tag, Cyma, and a Seiko. Always wanted a Rolex Submariner, Yacht Master or GMT Master, what issues have you guys experienced?
I am approaching a milestone birthday and full retirement I been looking at them but haven't bought one..Big money but you only live once.
I've broken several crystals from several different ways: bike crash, welding slag, drop on the floor of the OR. It cost me more to fix the watch and took longer than to fix the bike I dropped. But general maintenance: Cleaning/oiling or whatever they do to it. That ain't cheap and you need it with a new crystal or every few years just wearing it. I think the recommended interval now is either 5 or 10 years, but they used to recommend it every 2 years. The last cleaning job cost me over $800 and was done by a Swiss guy trained at a Swiss watchmaker school. The band wears out, especially the 2 tones and the jubilee style is much worse than the one with 3 parts across like mine. The clasp wears out.

When the clasp pin broke on me once, I took it to a local jewelry store, a real stand alone jewelry store on the main drag of the town that all the money in Arkansas resides at (which is actually quite considerable... cough... WMT... cough), that said "jewelry repairs" on the front. I showed the guy the broken pin on the clasp and asked if they could replace the pin. He takes it in the back to the "jeweler," I hear "tap tap tap tap," the guy comes out and says "Here, I fixed it. I used a paperclip," all proud of himself. I felt like saying "You used a paperclip to repair my $4000 Rolex. Prey, tell, was it stainless?" I just said "What do I owe you?" and left.

Best accuracy (time) I have had is about 6 seconds a day fast. Now, if you understand the difference between a watch and a chronometer, 6 seconds a day fast, every day without any difference, is actually quite good for a chronometer. A chronometer measures rate, not time. And the watch specifically says "Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified" on it, not "watch" or "clock" or "I keep time...." It has been around the world with me at least once, and I used to take sun lines with it on the bridge of the ships I sailed on, which is what you use chronometers for.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dr.Hess:
6113_ (01-05-2024), Jehu (06-16-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 07:56 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,999 Likes on 12,901 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Baloney, I've had several Rolexes and always made money trading them in and never serviced any of them. The box, original papers and dial condition are everything. It's like saying you didn't change the oil on your Knucklehead that sat in your office so now its worth less.

If only there were a place to buy these discounted watches, those that have never been serviced

Even boxes and papers don't affect the resale price by 5-10%. Last summer one of the big jewelers here had a Pepsi for sale, $18 plus and they didn't even bother to wipe it down. Right now a complete service with new AR glass through RSC Dallas is about $1,050. Rolex, Omega, Grand Seiko are all luxury timepieces, fascinating pieces of machinery. My Planet Ocean has the sapphire back, very cool to watch the watch. It's like the guy with the acrylic engine, just cool to see the internals working in any motor. Who doesn't appreciate that?

How many people out there are paying for $300 oil changes on their precious Harley's? Plenty across the board. A $1,000 service to change the oil, replace any minor parts on a watch, etc., is really a bargain comparatively speaking.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:57 AM
GBHH
Road Master
Received 527 Likes on 292 Posts

When they stop, they need service.
These watches are very accurate.
When servicing, they routinely change the crystal, scratches or not.
One service done was not acceptable, the white gold bezel had the crisp detail polished off, making it look old.
Watch needed a rap to start after that service, not happy.
I complained, they replaced bezel w new and corrected other condition they caused, no charge.
Watch was dropped off at HQ in Manhattan, It was in my work territory.
I had a work friend who bought one for less on one of the islands, watch was authentic but probably grey market.
Watch had issues ongoing, he was glad it was stolen while shipping to service.

Old 01-05-2024, 08:04 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,793 Likes on 18,927 Posts

The focus of this thread sure did shift

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Larry:
Calif Fat Bob (01-05-2024), Halojumper (01-09-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 08:04 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
The focus of this thread sure did shift

I was a little fuzzy on the intent of the original rant and comparison.

Uncle Larry (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 08:27 AM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,081 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
I was a little fuzzy on the intent of the original rant and comparison.
Sizzle versus steak.
Hawking the brand, not the product.
As a long time Harley and Rolex owner I am not a hater, but have observations of these to companies that, IMHO, are deserving comparisons.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,625 Likes on 699 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
Baloney, I've had several Rolexes and always made money trading them in and never serviced any of them. The box, original papers and dial condition are everything. It's like saying you didn't change the oil on your Knucklehead that sat in your office so now it’s worth less.
Well guess I should have shipped it to Canada first, So I was just selling it, trade in, you know they fudged the value on your old watch and took it off the MSRP of the new one.

The store an authorized dealer in Syracuse NY, was specifically addressing the lack of service record and cleanings etc from a watch I wore maybe six times, oh and that it wasn’t stored on a winder. I noted that none of the watches in the display were on a winder, either.
I also wasn’t a customer so no reason to pad anything.

I don’t wear a suit, the status of Rolex means nothing to me, would rather spend money on motorcycles or hot rod parts

tngarren (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 09:25 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member

Now see, this post is a little more relatable to a HD dealer

Originally Posted by Paintslinger16
Well guess I should have shipped it to Canada first, So I was just selling it, trade in, you know they fudged the value on your old watch and took it off the MSRP of the new one.

The store an authorized dealer in Syracuse NY, was specifically addressing the lack of service record and cleanings etc from a watch I wore maybe six times, oh and that it wasn’t stored on a winder. I noted that none of the watches in the display were on a winder, either.
I also wasn’t a customer so no reason to pad anything.

I don’t wear a suit, the status of Rolex means nothing to me, would rather spend money on motorcycles or hot rod parts

Quick Reply: Harley-Davidson, Rolex in 2024