General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson, Rolex in 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 09:19 PM
TheMurf
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,768 Likes on 1,701 Posts
Default Harley and Rolex

"I don't miss the radio, I find myself enjoying older basic Harleys more then the new, refined rolling computers."

I have an Ultra glide..When my wife rides with me we use the radio to power the headsets so we can chat. These days you don't even need that with Bluetooth..When I ride alone,which is most of the time, I don't listen to anything, just the noise of the wind and my thoughts. I'd trade it in on a standard Road King someday, if they make one again. I like the Highway King but couldn't justify the money for what is basically a fancy Road King. I find all the technology does nothing to make you enjoy the bike more. I like the solitude of just riding and enjoying the sights. We traveled to Alaska and back in 09' with nothing more than a. Road Atlas, spoke to each other via the intercom and carried the Milepost book with us. We did carry a cell phone but once your in the wilderness of Alaska it didn't work..

I don't want ride modes, traction control, lane departure warnings, cruise control ( I never use it even though the bike has it ). GPS,active braking, hill start assist to name some of the technology that adds cost and complexity.
All that is neat if that's what your into.
I'll take a fuel injected, Road King with aftermarket seat with a backrest for the rider and passenger, add a luggage rack to strap a waterproof travel bag to.. A set of helmets with Bluetooth headsets. I'll carry my cell phone and take the road atlas along.. Pack and go anywhere..Basic non complicated. The way motorcycling should be IMHO.

The following 4 users liked this post by TheMurf:
Jed Clampett (01-11-2024), s-glide76 (01-11-2024), TBeghtol (01-10-2024), Tommy C (01-10-2024)
Old 01-11-2024, 06:34 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMurf
"I don't miss the radio, I find myself enjoying older basic Harleys more then the new, refined rolling computers."

I have an Ultra glide..When my wife rides with me we use the radio to power the headsets so we can chat. These days you don't even need that with Bluetooth..When I ride alone,which is most of the time, I don't listen to anything, just the noise of the wind and my thoughts. I'd trade it in on a standard Road King someday, if they make one again. I like the Highway King but couldn't justify the money for what is basically a fancy Road King. I find all the technology does nothing to make you enjoy the bike more. I like the solitude of just riding and enjoying the sights. We traveled to Alaska and back in 09' with nothing more than a. Road Atlas, spoke to each other via the intercom and carried the Milepost book with us. We did carry a cell phone but once your in the wilderness of Alaska it didn't work..

I don't want ride modes, traction control, lane departure warnings, cruise control ( I never use it even though the bike has it ). GPS,active braking, hill start assist to name some of the technology that adds cost and complexity.
All that is neat if that's what your into.
I'll take a fuel injected, Road King with aftermarket seat with a backrest for the rider and passenger, add a luggage rack to strap a waterproof travel bag to.. A set of helmets with Bluetooth headsets. I'll carry my cell phone and take the road atlas along.. Pack and go anywhere..Basic non complicated. The way motorcycling should be IMHO.
What he said.

Old 01-13-2024, 02:33 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,793 Likes on 18,927 Posts

Originally Posted by 2whlr4life
"It takes a licking and keeps on ticking"
I watched that whole video and missed it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkIuQuy4whI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NHq3Yze6s0

Last edited by Uncle Larry; 01-13-2024 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (01-13-2024)
Old 06-14-2024, 01:41 PM
Maywood15
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a similar experience with my watch needing a crystal replacement after an unexpected mishap. That paperclip fix must have been a shock! When it comes to servicing, finding a reputable watchmaker is crucial, especially for a certified chronometer like yours. Keeping it accurate within 6 seconds a day is excellent.

The following 2 users liked this post by Maywood15:
Dr.Hess (06-14-2024), Goose_NC (06-19-2024)
Old 06-15-2024, 02:53 PM
bson
HDF Community Team
Received 202 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Jehu
After WWII Harleys were affordable transportation that was rugged and reasonably reliable - especially for the times.
Yeah, the Army flooded the market with used vehicles, so they could be had for a pittance by people who couldn't remotely afford a car.

Goose_NC (06-19-2024)
Old 06-16-2024, 06:56 PM
flh canuck
Cruiser
Received 254 Likes on 127 Posts

Interesting thread. My brother in-law is Swiss and his father gave him a Rolex when he turned 21. My brother in-law was setting off to travel the world at the time and the idea was that if he ran out of money or had some bad luck along the way, he could always sell the Rolex to pay for a ticket home. Of course things were different and the world was a lot bigger back then. My brother in-law still has that same Rolex and recently turned 72.

As for the new Harley Davidsons, I think the M8 is a great engine but the more I look at the cheap plastic styling of the 2024 Grand American Touring models, the more I realize that I just am not interested. When they killed off the Road King Standard, that did it for me. I've owned 6 Harleys over the past 25 years, mostly touring and almost all bought new. I just can't get excited about the new digital dash and crappy looking paint / body work.

For the first time ever, I'm considering a new BMW GS1250. I'm not looking for a lifestyle and have never felt the need to dress as a pirate. I just want a good handling comfortable motorcycle that can take me places and effortlessly crush the miles. Previous Harleys always fit the bill. I guess things change.

Old 06-18-2024, 04:32 AM
Maywood15
Stage II
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maywood15
I had a similar experience with my watch needing a crystal replacement after an unexpected mishap. That paperclip fix must have been a shock! When it comes to servicing, finding a reputable watchmaker is crucial, especially for a certified chronometer like yours. Keeping it accurate within 6 seconds a day is excellent.
Wow, sounds like you've had quite the journey with your Rolex! It's amazing how durable they are but also how pricey repairs can be. I had a similar experience with my watch needing a crystal replacement after an unexpected mishap. It’s true, regular maintenance is key, though the costs can add up.

I stumbled upon https://superclonerolex.io recently, and they offer some great alternatives if you’re into high-quality watches. It’s always good to explore options, especially with repairs and maintenance being such considerations. Maybe checking out local watchmakers who specialize in luxury watches could provide more affordable and reliable repairs next time.

Old 06-18-2024, 09:36 AM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 678 Likes on 331 Posts

Last time I was in Juarez you could buy a Rolex for $25. "Amigo! I got Rolex! Only $25! Or ticket to donkey show?"...

Goose_NC (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 05:58 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,429 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Originally Posted by panheadache
Last time I was in Juarez you could buy a Rolex for $25. "Amigo! I got Rolex! Only $25! Or ticket to donkey show?"...
Been there. Did the donkey show. I was 18 then in 1979.