General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So has the used market finally dropped dramatically?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 08:49 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,989 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by downzero
Wrong. Maybe rather than reading somebody else's opinion, you should look at the facts. They are in this graph below. If the line slopes up, purchasing power has increased.

Real GDP takes inflation into account. Economists don't use numbers without removing the effects of inflation.

Nice dated graph has nothing to do with today. That is 8 years ago.

Anyone with common sense knows our purchasing power is down and inflation is up and goods cost more.

The following 5 users liked this post by FLSTFI Dave:
Garage Queen Rescue (12-29-2023), harpwrench (12-29-2023), LQQK_OUT (12-29-2023), Plow64 (12-29-2023), s-glide76 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 09:11 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
Nice dated graph has nothing to do with today. That is 8 years ago. Anyone with common sense knows our purchasing power is down and inflation is up and goods cost more.
Amen, only those gullible enough to rely on CNN/MSNBC/WH "news" in an election cycle believes otherwise.

The following 2 users liked this post by Plow64:
s-glide76 (12-29-2023), Tommy C (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 09:34 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

Geeze, the Federal Reserve is a group we’re supposed to believe and trust. The same clowns that tried to convince us for 2 years that inflation is transitory while they continued to artificially suppress interest rates and injected trillions of liquidity into the economy through quantitative easing.

Core inflation is sticky and has been running mid-3’s for the last several months. We are nowhere close to being able to declare a victory lap with inflation yet despite all the talking heads. These are the same talking heads that support nearly unlimited spending on the fiscal side which is contributing to inflation. Trillions in stimulus and it is still happening with every budget line item they pass. Hundreds of billions of stimulus on green energy, thousands of new regulations that contribute to inflation as businesses staff for proof of compliance, productivity losses due to telework adding to inflation, and on and on and on.

But lets all pretend the same clowns that create the mess are trustworthy and all is well. Lets all pretend the middle class isn’t disappearing, lets all pretend inflation has been good for ‘real wages’, lets all pretend that unlimited government spending is great, wealth transfer is awesome, let’s pretend there isn’t a homeless problem caused by the governments failed policies, lets all pretend our cities are safe, lets all pretend we don ‘t need to fund the police, lets all pretend that we don’t need to secure the border, lets all pretend that everything is rooted in racism, lets all pretend men are women and women are men, lets pretend Hollywood knows what is best for me and America. Yeah, everything is great and the government is doing an awesome job!

Used bike prices are coming down…its the economy.

Last edited by stratplexi; 12-29-2023 at 11:08 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by stratplexi:
Garage Queen Rescue (12-29-2023), hd4evr2008 (12-31-2023), Jshopes (12-29-2023), s-glide76 (12-29-2023), Tommy C (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 12:29 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
Nice dated graph has nothing to do with today. That is 8 years ago.

Anyone with common sense knows our purchasing power is down and inflation is up and goods cost more.
Absolutely wrong. Look up the data for yourself if you don't like mine. The real income per capita is the highest it has ever been in all of human history now.

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Geeze, the Federal Reserve is a group we’re supposed to believe and trust. The same clowns that tried to convince us for 2 years that inflation is transitory while they continued to artificially suppress interest rates and injected trillions of liquidity into the economy through quantitative easing.

Core inflation is sticky and has been running mid-3’s for the last several months. We are nowhere close to being able to declare a victory lap with inflation yet despite all the talking heads. These are the same talking heads that support nearly unlimited spending on the fiscal side which is contributing to inflation. Trillions in stimulus and it is still happening with every budget line item they pass. Hundreds of billions of stimulus on green energy, thousands of new regulations that contribute to inflation as businesses staff for proof of compliance, productivity losses due to telework adding to inflation, and on and on and on.

But lets all pretend the same clowns that create the mess are trustworthy and all is well. Lets all pretend the middle class isn’t disappearing, lets all pretend inflation has been good for ‘real wages’, lets all pretend that unlimited government spending is great, wealth transfer is awesome, let’s pretend there isn’t a homeless problem caused by the governments failed policies, lets all pretend our cities are safe, lets all pretend we don ‘t need to fund the police, lets all pretend that we don’t need to secure the border, lets all pretend that everything is rooted in racism, lets all pretend men are women and women are men, lets pretend Hollywood knows what is best for me and America. Yeah, everything is great and the government is doing an awesome job!

Used bike prices are coming down…its the economy.
The federal reserve not only did not make such comments, it wouldn't. Those sorts of comments come from political actors.

Inflation is monetary and it is their fault. It doesn't follow that they are bad at measuring it. They knew what they were doing, they simply lacked the political will to pump the brakes when it was time to do so.

Even with inflation, incomes are up. That is a demonstrable fact. All the other political commentary are not facts, they are simply regurgitated opinion.

Last edited by downzero; 12-29-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2023, 12:35 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

Absolutely wrong. Look up the data for yourself if you don't like mine. The real income per capita is the highest it has ever been in all of human history now.

The federal reserve not only did not make such comments, it wouldn't. Those sorts of comments come from political actors.

Inflation is monetary and it is their fault. It doesn't follow that they are bad at measuring it. They knew what they were doing, they simply lacked the political will to pump the brakes when it was time to do so.

Even with inflation, incomes are up. That is a demonstrable fact. All the other political commentary are not facts, they are simply regurgitated opinion.
its also a demonstrable fact that inflation is not calculated based on everything we use daily.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jshopes:
Evo-Wes (12-29-2023), Garage Queen Rescue (12-29-2023), s-glide76 (12-29-2023), Screamin beagle (01-08-2024)
Old 12-29-2023, 01:25 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jshopes
its also a demonstrable fact that inflation is not calculated based on everything we use daily.
I used to tell my students that every single one of them could come up with their own measure of inflation and each could earn a Ph.D for that.

CPI is based on a basket of goods normally purchased and consumed by a family of four. So your response is actually wrong, but it is also not a fact, it is your opinion. It just sounds like an uniformed opinion that is ignorant of what CPI inflation measures.

Nobody thinks that CPI is the end-all and be-all of measuring inflation, but to say that it is not calculated based on what "we use daily" is not correct.

Old 12-29-2023, 01:29 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,288 Likes on 711 Posts

I used to tell my students that every single one of them could come up with their own measure of inflation and each could earn a Ph.D for that.

CPI is based on a basket of goods normally purchased and consumed by a family of four. So your response is actually wrong, but it is also not a fact, it is your opinion. It just sounds like an uniformed opinion that is ignorant of what CPI inflation measures.

Nobody thinks that CPI is the end-all and be-all of measuring inflation, but to say that it is not calculated based on what "we use daily" is not correct.
youre seriously going to attempt to say my opinion is uninformed amd ignorant when you didnt read or comprehend what i actually said?

Old 12-29-2023, 01:33 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jshopes
youre seriously going to attempt to say my opinion is uninformed amd ignorant when you didnt read or comprehend what i actually said?
If you're trying to say something that is a demonstrable fact and then what follows is your opinion, an opinion that I think is gloriously wrong, yes, I am going to tell you that you're uniformed and ignorant because it is apparent from what you typed that you don't know what you're talking about. You can't even distinguish measurable facts from your own opinion.

Old 12-29-2023, 01:44 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,848 Likes on 960 Posts

Sew . . . Has the use’d market finaly droped dramastically? I hope knot, as I kneed to sale my Fat Bob to make room four my next toy. 😜

Last edited by Calif Fat Bob; 12-29-2023 at 01:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
Cap77 (12-29-2023), NorthWestern (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 01:51 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,848 Likes on 960 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap77
"lash out"? LOL
Cali F'Bob took it just as it was intended, a light hearted joke...you dOpe

..L.T.A.
Calif Fat Bob has a sense of humor and took @Cap77 post as light hearted.
(dang now I’m typing like @MXJunky 😜

The following users liked this post:
Cap77 (12-29-2023)

Quick Reply: So has the used market finally dropped dramatically?