Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So has the used market finally dropped dramatically?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 01:29 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocking_it
Just the facts. Don't tell your life story it makes it harder to dig through junk, and people lose interest
We are not trouble shooting anything. We are not here to solve anything.

Old 12-28-2023, 01:53 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
well no kidding gdp is up, the price of everything is up. if 2 widgets cost 25$ at the beginning of the period, then 2 widgets cost 50$ at the end of a time period, gdp went up 100%. that doesnt mean theres more demand, it means it cost more for whatever reason. if inflation is at 35% and gdp goes up 5%, it actually shrank.
Real GDP takes price level into account. Nobody uses nominal numbers for GDP.

Originally Posted by Rounders
During Obama we said the the unemployment was trumped up. Then year later, went down half percent, under trump, we said historic lows. On the low end you can't get anyone to work anymore. I am curious where all those people went, clerks, waitress, bartenders. Higher end you got people change jobs too.

People like you will say wall Street is just rich people gambling, but for us regular people it is our 401k invested in mutual funds. Last 15 years have had some bad years, but the market has gone up. Sure gave me more hope than I had 15 years ago.

It is very short sighted to see wall street is a reflection of the economy. I am not saying poor people don't get screwed with inflation. But most of us, my whine about $20 more at grocery store, but it hasn't changed our lives a lot. If you are honest and do that math.
Unemployment measures the proportion of the labor force that is without work. Our working age population is aging and many have left the labor force.

Unemployment does not just mean the person is alive and breathing and not working. That is not what unemployment measures.

I don't know where you think I said that "Wall Street" is a reflection of the economy. The GDP measures the productive output of the economy. The Real GDP per capita is the highest it has ever been. That is an demonstrable fact based on dividing the GDP by the number of people. The GDP has nothing to do with "Wall Street."

Old 12-28-2023, 01:57 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
Wages are rebounding some. They have not caught up to inflation yet. Our purchasing power is down. The lower your income the more it's felt. The bill at the grocery store has gone up faster than wages. Average people can feel the inflation of the last 3 years. It's reflected in every thing you buy. Wages have not increased near as much. Even worse for those of us on SSDI, and disability insurance. My purchasing power is down by more than 10% over three years, as my disability insurance payment has not changed and will not change. SSDI did go up, but not even half of inflation, and its a very small amount of money.

I'm not sure what level of income you have to have to believe that we didn't, and don't have inflation, and our financial condition has not changed for the worse over the past 3 years? At 200K do you not feel it? or is it more?

Good article on purchasing power. Purchasing power.
Wrong. Maybe rather than reading somebody else's opinion, you should look at the facts. They are in this graph below. If the line slopes up, purchasing power has increased.

Real GDP takes inflation into account. Economists don't use numbers without removing the effects of inflation.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:13 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,233 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Originally Posted by downzero
Real GDP takes price level into account. Nobody uses nominal numbers for GDP.

Unemployment measures the proportion of the labor force that is without work. Our working age population is aging and many have left the labor force.

Unemployment does not just mean the person is alive and breathing and not working. That is not what unemployment measures.

I don't know where you think I said that "Wall Street" is a reflection of the economy. The GDP measures the productive output of the economy. The Real GDP per capita is the highest it has ever been. That is an demonstrable fact based on dividing the GDP by the number of people. The GDP has nothing to do with "Wall Street."
I have not once mentioned GDP.

I did say during, myself included faulted the unemployment numbers. But then during trump, we praises those same numbers.

Old 12-28-2023, 02:18 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,278 Likes on 703 Posts

if theyre if theyre using the same inflation numbers the whitehouse does the calculation is wrong.

The following 4 users liked this post by Jshopes:
Iron lHorse (12-31-2023), Plow64 (12-29-2023), s-glide76 (12-28-2023), smitty901 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 02:21 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jshopes
if theyre if theyre using the same inflation numbers the whitehouse does the calculation is wrong.
Yeah, I'm sure the federal reserve doesn't know what the value of money is (and I'm sure your opinion is better than theirs).

Old 12-28-2023, 02:23 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,278 Likes on 703 Posts

Yeah, I'm sure the federal reserve doesn't know what the value of money is (and I'm sure your opinion is better than theirs).
you are aware that they dont take certain things into consideration when figuring up inflation?

The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 04:50 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,825 Likes on 951 Posts

You are confusing "supply" with "quantity supplied." Which was basically the difference between a B student and an A student when I was teaching economics to undergraduates..
Wrong. Maybe rather than reading somebody else's opinion, you should look at the facts.

I don’t remember signing up for this class . . . But at least I got a “B”

Old 12-28-2023, 05:04 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
I don’t remember signing up for this class . . . But at least I got a “B”
You got a B if you understood the other concepts. As to understanding the law of supply, you get an F.

Old 12-28-2023, 05:30 PM
hdsb2015
Advanced
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

As others have mentioned GDP is up in part because of inflation. Also personal debt has gone up $228B in the 3rd quarter to $17.29T, the highest in history. Total corporate and public debt is the highest its ever been. So all this talk about how great the economy is doing is smoke and mirrors. Dealer 2023 sales and nventory (cars and motorcycles) is a reflection of a weak eonomy.

The following 2 users liked this post by hdsb2015:
Garage Queen Rescue (12-29-2023), s-glide76 (12-28-2023)

Quick Reply: So has the used market finally dropped dramatically?