Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So has the used market finally dropped dramatically?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 09:34 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,136 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by Cap77
better add some zeros to that 25 bukz a month, kid

as far as the rest of your "world according to Rounders" blather, not everyone is single with a well paying job living in a cabin in the UP

many are raising families (costs much more in food and everything else from laundry detergent to toothpaste, to toilet paper, to school supplies to clothes, to utilities to medical to GAS for TWO vehicles.)
ever raise a family, Rounders?

Many people are on fixed incomes as well

it's no wonder your fan club beats you over head
it's because of the stupid that comes out of your mouth

..L.T.A.
My point was add up what you are buying. As I said if you are on a tight budget it is an issue. But also pointing out when you divide over the year, it may not be as high as drama is showing. My gas increase is a good reflection of that. People go on and on about gas, but don't do that math. Myself I drive 40k miles a year or so.

I don't live in my cabin, I pay for two homes actually, so that is an expense. But my utilities and taxes are the same. In this part of the country utilities just don't increase over night.

But add up what you really buy. Also look at the junk you buy too. Myself, I bring a thermos to work, and don't have cable. But I do spend lots of money on other stuff.

Old 12-27-2023, 11:02 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,213 Likes on 5,426 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
Everyone brings up Carter. I was just pointing out 90s was not that long ago. Not has high as Carter. I don't think we thought there were high. I am guessing during Carter, people thought they were high.
18 to 23% for people with good credit . Carter was a total mess.

The following 2 users liked this post by smitty901:
Goose_NC (12-28-2023), s-glide76 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 06:32 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by smitty901
18 to 23% for people with good credit . Carter was a total mess.
Just as that was an extreme these last 20 years have been a bit of an extreme, Though this one lasted long enough, that people forgot it was an extreme.

Will it change by borrowing habits? Maybe. low interest was nice. But also depends if I have the luxory of letting it change ,my habits. Hopefuly later in my life, established, house paid off in few years it will. But if I was young, I would be borrowing just like I was 21 years ago. Just facotr in the cost of interest.

Old 12-28-2023, 09:42 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,983 Likes on 2,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
Some folks were not living beyond their means, and were on a budget. Those same folks have had to cut back savings, going out to public places, because the monthly necessities have gone up 10-15%. While salaries went up 2-3%.

I know a lot of folks making under $30 an hour, and many making $20 an hour because that's what that region pays for skilled trades. Prices can only go up so far before people stop paying it.

I know several folks who have started or joined CO-OP. Some farmers have started "shared farming" because the corporations refuse to pay more for products. "Shared farming" means a groups of folks pay to all the costs to raise chickens, beef cows and pig to avoid grocery stores. Local farmer markets are returning to what I remember in the 1970s. Families/Co-OPs buying whole cows and pigs and putting into freezers to provide food for several months.

Rounders - glad to know you are rich enough to no be effected. Once again, your arrogance is showing.

Me? I am fine, but I am also working to help someone else most weeks of the year.
My area a few things hurt us. Utilities are way up, food is 15% more, gas is more. Wages have only gone up 2~5%. We are one of the states with a rapid population growth. We get lots of people moving here from CA, NY, IL and New England. So our property values have shot though the roof, rent has shot through the roof. They have bidding wars on houses. So families are being priced out of their apartment when the rent goes up 600 a month

Family of 4 in an apartment, paying more for utilities, more for gas to get to work. More for food. More for day care. So 200 a month more for food, 100 a month more for gas, 100 more for utilities, 100 more for day care and now 600 more for rent. Thats 1100 more a month.

So you own a house, like me. Im fixed income. My house went up 280K in value since 2020, sounds great right. It's horrible, my property tax went up 1075 dollars a year. My insurance went up 400 dollars a year. My utility's, my food, my gas, my car insurance all went up. My income did not. No, I won't miss any meals. But I have made life style changes, we cant afford to go out to eat once a week any more. I am more careful about what I spend money on.

I am actually blessed to have plenty of room to cut and keep a good lifestyle. I know many who are struggling, and they have good jobs at 27 an hour, which use to be very good for this area.

Originally Posted by Cap77
better add some zeros to that 25 bukz a month, kid

as far as the rest of your "world according to Rounders" blather, not everyone is single with a well paying job living in a cabin in the UP

many are raising families (costs much more in food and everything else from laundry detergent to toothpaste, to toilet paper, to school supplies to clothes, to utilities to medical to GAS for TWO vehicles.)
ever raise a family, Rounders?

Many people are on fixed incomes as well

here's a shocker, 63% of working Americans can't come up with $500 cash for an emergency
63% of Employees Are Unable to Cover a $500 Emergency Expense (fool.com)

it's no wonder your fan club beats you over head
it's because of the stupid that comes out of your mouth

..L.T.A.
I fully agree. In 2019, $27 an hour was a good wage around here. You could have a nice starter home if both worked. 1500 sq foot was around 120 to 150K. Now with the massive population growth those homes are 230~280K. With interest rates at 6% or more that starter home is not possible, especially when you consider food, clothing, necessities, gas, utilities and insurance all cost more too. You you now make $29 an hour but cant afford it.

The following 3 users liked this post by FLSTFI Dave:
Cap77 (12-28-2023), Goose_NC (12-28-2023), Tommy C (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 10:37 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

I am not disagreeing home prices are volatile,but they too have been last 20 years.

Around utilities just can't raise rates on electric. Gas can be adjusted,but hasn't been a lot. Warm years. Propane did go up. As I said $40-50 a month.

I have found people really don't understand their utility bills

Old 12-28-2023, 10:58 AM
Rocking_it
Road Master
Received 1,268 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
I am not disagreeing home prices are volatile,but they too have been last 20 years.

Around utilities just can't raise rates on electric. Gas can be adjusted,but hasn't been a lot. Warm years. Propane did go up. As I said $40-50 a month.

I have found people really don't understand their utility bills
Just the facts. Don't tell your life story it makes it harder to dig through junk, and people lose interest

The following users liked this post:
back again (01-01-2024)
Old 12-28-2023, 11:21 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,054 Likes on 4,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocking_it
Just the facts. Don't tell your life story it makes it harder to dig through junk, and people lose interest
It's what he does.

back again (01-01-2024)
Old 12-28-2023, 12:08 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,623 Likes on 1,110 Posts

Calling our local HD Forums Oracle, grammar extraordinary and economist to the yellow courtesy phone.

Goose_NC (12-28-2023)
Old 12-28-2023, 12:22 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 22,489 Likes on 7,426 Posts

Originally Posted by kel03
It's what he does.
He adds fiber to a thread. That's why people like him.

Old 12-28-2023, 12:23 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,810 Likes on 825 Posts

LoL.....
So, how 'bout those used bike prices?
I do hope they are coming down. Even though I NEED another motorcycle about as much as I need another hole in my head, I'm not averse to purchasing a newer Twinkie for highway hauls.
IF...

Quick Reply: So has the used market finally dropped dramatically?