General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So has the used market finally dropped dramatically?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 06:20 PM
Cap77
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,322 Likes on 2,674 Posts

Originally Posted by Rounders
If gas goes up $50 cent, and you drive 1000k month, at 20 mpg, that is $25 a month.
better add some zeros to that 25 bukz a month, kid

as far as the rest of your "world according to Rounders" blather, not everyone is single with a well paying job living in a cabin in the UP

many are raising families (costs much more in food and everything else from laundry detergent to toothpaste, to toilet paper, to school supplies to clothes, to utilities to medical to GAS for TWO vehicles.)
ever raise a family, Rounders?

Many people are on fixed incomes as well

here's a shocker, 63% of working Americans can't come up with $500 cash for an emergency
63% of Employees Are Unable to Cover a $500 Emergency Expense (fool.com)

it's no wonder your fan club beats you over head
it's because of the stupid that comes out of your mouth

..L.T.A.

Last edited by Cap77; 12-27-2023 at 06:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Cap77:
AJSHOVEL (12-28-2023), Buelligan666 (12-31-2023), HarleyBob52 (12-28-2023), s-glide76 (12-28-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 06:21 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 1,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
well no kidding gdp is up, the price of everything is up. if 2 widgets cost 25$ at the beginning of the period, then 2 widgets cost 50$ at the end of a time period, gdp went up 100%. that doesnt mean theres more demand, it means it cost more for whatever reason. if inflation is at 35% and gdp goes up 5%, it actually shrank.
Inflation for the past 6 months cumulatively has been running just below 2%. I understand your point but real gdp is outpacing inflation now. Unlike many who see everything through a political lens, I pay attention to whats really going on as it affects my investment decisions. We have a generation of people who literally have grown up with nominal interest rates near zero and sometimes real interest rates being negative because the fed started printing money at the tailend of the Bush presidency, continued through the Obama and Trump years because they were scared of depression era growth and now things are reverting to more of a historical norm and all these people are having to adjust to the new norm (no more zero percent auto loans and 3% mortgages). I lived through the Paul Volcker era when inflation actually did run north of 20% and unemployment was driven up to 15%.
The United States has the best economy today of any major industrialized country today, things can always be better but its actually pretty decent. All the doom and gloom predictions of a severe resession in 2023 have evaporated. People might still be feeling the pain of inflation peaking at 9% last year but its come down dramatically and they are out there spending more than ever. You can believe the talk or you can pay attention to the facts.

The following 2 users liked this post by kojak:
coltsfan (12-30-2023), Redd Jedd (01-08-2024)
Old 12-27-2023, 07:39 PM
Calif Fat Bob
Road Warrior
Received 1,848 Likes on 960 Posts

It’s basic Supply vs Demand. When supply of used bikes was low, then prices were stupid high. With supply levels being high (like now) then prices are low. Not sure it has as much to do with interest rates, or Biden, as it just the swing of dealers being flush with inventory. I was at my local dealer last weekend and they had removed all the racks of clothes on the floor to make room for all the new and used bikes they had.

I’ve was following a guy on Craigslist who listed a 2021 Fat Bob 117 starting at $22k. Ad said “$10k in add ons”. Last I ad was down to $17k and he will probably not get that.

The following 2 users liked this post by Calif Fat Bob:
Old 12-27-2023, 07:43 PM
downzero
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,049 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Calif Fat Bob
It’s basic Supply vs Demand. When supply of used bikes was low, then prices were stupid high. With supply levels being high (like now) then prices are low. Not sure it has as much to do with interest rates, or Biden, as it just the swing of dealers being flush with inventory. I was at my local dealer last weekend and they had removed all the racks of clothes on the floor to make room for all the new and used bikes they had.

I’ve was following a guy on Craigslist who listed a 2021 Fat Bob 117 starting at $22k. Ad said “$10k in add ons”. Last I ad was down to $17k and he will probably not get that.
You are confusing "supply" with "quantity supplied." Which was basically the difference between a B student and an A student when I was teaching economics to undergraduates.

A change in quantity supplied without a change in demand results in a surplus, which should result in movement in price. If it doesn't, the market stays in disequalibrium with a surplus at the same price, which is about what we're seeing now.

Last edited by downzero; 12-27-2023 at 07:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:08 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,271 Posts

With a large chunk of the baby boomers aging out of riding . Meaning a lot of them are hitting 65 to 70 years old . I think it’s save to say that the opportunity to find a very good low mileage garage queen will remain excellent for anybody with patience . Easily for the next ten years and especially if you’re looking for a twin cam bike .

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 12-27-2023 at 08:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Iron lHorse:
Old 12-27-2023, 08:19 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,921 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
... the opportunity to find a very good low mileage garage queen will remain excellent for anybody with patience. Easily for the next ten years especially if you’re looking for a twin cam bike.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:47 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,715 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Prices are still high around here. Most over KBB. A few are near wholesale, but those are either poorly taken care of or odd highly modded (not custom) bikes. Those decent bikes priced just above wholesale disappear in days. Some are just unreasonable. I guess they are upside down on the bike or think their bike is a stand out for some unfathomable reason unseen by their description or photos.

In a way it’s a lot like match.com, use old enhanced photos and make up stories about your success and attractiveness.

I’ve been looking for 2 bikes. I’ve traveled to look at two. One was a 4 hour ride near 30F home. I had my heated gear. I talked to the guy on the phone. I studied the photos as much as I could enlarge them. He assured me it was clean and ran great. He lied. I didn’t even check the oil. I don’t know if it was the plugs, wires, or something else. Bike had loose and missing bolt. Pissed me off. 10 hours wasted because the guy thought he could con someone or believed in the HOG fairy, grandpa to the tooth fairy. I wouldn’t have paid him 1/2 what he was asking. I’m not looking for a restoration project, I want a basic 2 rider.

I know the game. Dealers buy used cheap and mark them up to near new pricing. Private sellers look at this, or their monthly payment and think they should get high retail or better. I even wonder if many sellers research the different value services. Some are starry eyed crazy people.

If used prices are dropping elsewhere, it hasn’t hit this area yet. I might add, bikes seem to be taking a long time to sell as well. Most have been for sale for two or more months. I was checking daily, now I looking once a week to see if any new bikes are posted. So far, no one has lowered their selling price.

Not to change subject, okay I am. I just noticed a huge insurance increase this year. I talked to them and just advised them I’m shopping around. I’m not excited about being forced to bail out insurance companies poor choices in coverage or loses on EVs.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:03 PM
Tcrafty
Road Warrior
Received 1,921 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
Prices are still high around here. If used prices are dropping elsewhere, it hasn’t hit this area yet. So far, no one has lowered their selling price.
Maybe you just need to change your Fb marketplace settings. LOTS of pretty nice H-Ds for sale, either free or for only one DOLLAR in my area!!!!!!

Sorry guys. Had to do it...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tcrafty:
OKMICK (12-28-2023), TwiZted Biker (12-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2023, 09:25 PM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,339 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by AJSHOVEL
Or during Jimmy Carter, lol!!!
Everyone brings up Carter. I was just pointing out 90s was not that long ago. Not has high as Carter. I don't think we thought there were high. I am guessing during Carter, people thought they were high.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:28 PM
gonemad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,394 Likes on 2,976 Posts

The highest interest rates were in the 80’s

The following 4 users liked this post by gonemad:
Cap77 (12-28-2023), joenc (12-28-2023), s-glide76 (12-28-2023), TennesseeRoadGlide (12-28-2023)

Quick Reply: So has the used market finally dropped dramatically?