Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes. . . what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:10 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Apes. . . what's the deal?

I love my mini apes, may gotaller in the future.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:11 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pablo22

ORIGINAL: Softy

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

there are reasons they are illegal everywhere!!!!
They are not illeagal everywhere. they are only illeagle if they are too high according to the state you are riding in.rule of thumb is if they extend above your shoulders,they are illeagal.
Not in Killafornia - that's +2 for Killa Kali today! Here they can be 6 inches above your shoulders and they are legal! I have 18" apes and they are right about 6" above. I got a ticket by a **** Super Trooper in Murrieta, CA and the judge threw it out. I told the uninformed lad that he should measure the distance above my shoulders the handlebars were because I would see him in court. He refused. I explained it to the judge, he asked the cop if that was true - he told the truth (amazing, I know) and the cop gave him a good talking to as well! Got off on a non-dot helmet at the same time! The cops in Murrieta suck, but the judge was fair!
LUCKY !!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:41 PM
sportster orange
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive got 16 inch apes on my sportster and they sit straight out in front of me and i sit up sraight very sweet riding

Old 08-27-2007, 10:02 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: cardboard

ORIGINAL: Softy

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

there are reasons they are illegal everywhere!!!!
They are not illeagal everywhere. they are only illeagle if they are too high according to the state you are riding in.rule of thumb is if they extend above your shoulders,they are illeagal.
Not in Killafornia - that's +2 for Killa Kali today! Here they can be 6 inches above your shoulders and they are legal! I have 18" apes and they are right about 6" above. I got a ticket by a **** Super Trooper in Murrieta, CA and the judge threw it out. I told the uninformed lad that he should measure the distance above my shoulders the handlebars were because I would see him in court. He refused. I explained it to the judge, he asked the cop if that was true - he told the truth (amazing, I know) and the cop gave him a good talking to as well! Got off on a non-dot helmet at the same time! The cops in Murrieta suck, but the judge was fair!
LUCKY !!!!
Depends on yer definition of lucky. I ended up having to take 3 days off work in total ($309 a day on the railroad x3 = $900+) . Coulda paid the fine and been done with it, matter of principal for me. Just had to wear my rag to court to rub it all in. You shoulda seen the boys in blue foamin at the mouth up in the jury box - about 15 of em there for different cases and theywere pissed when I got off scott free! It was worththe money!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:08 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Didn't mean for you to pay the fine. I was stating you was lucky the dang judge let you go. I'm glad it went yer way.
I had a Nigerian to run into the side of my 1 ton diesel van with a lexus, the cop gave me a ticket and I was in the right. NOw figure that.
I tried to talk to him in Houston, Tx. he didn't care what I had to say. I had a lawyer and a witness stating it was the other dudes fault. Along with picture to prove it.. I got to take defensive driving.
Go figure !

Old 08-27-2007, 10:11 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I'm in a haze,but why did you have to take off three days for a traffic ticket? and what judge let you wear a rag in his courtroom?

Old 08-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior

Key word, Nigerian. You shoulda known it was your fault!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 10:18 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Key word, Nigerian. You shoulda known it was your fault!!!
O.K. let's make it more interesting. I was sittin in a median. It was about 45' wide and about 22' across. I had my foot on the brake and the lexus come down the street and pulled into the median. The dude in the lexus was in a hurry. When he took off on his u turn he run into the back wheel on my 1 ton ford van and broke the axle hanger loose. It wasn't even his car. it was borried. I never moved.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Pablo22
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: F.U.I.R.S.

Maybe I'm in a haze,but why did you have to take off three days for a traffic ticket? and what judge let you wear a rag in his courtroom?
Had to show up the initial day - explained to the judge what happened. The Super Trooper was not there that day, so the judge asked me to come back on another date because he wanted to see what this officer "had to say for himself." When I went back to court, I took another day of, which actually meant two days of because we do "round-trips" on the Railroad. Missed the trip out and the trip back-if that makes sense. Don't know if the judge was a biker - get the feeling he was - he knew as well as I did that the only reason we got pulled over was the rag to begin with. The Judges namewas Barry Riemer in Temecula CA. He never said a word about what I was wearing.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stache

Even my Heratige comes stock with signifint rise in the bars. I haven't measured but I'm guessing 18" or more. I've pulled them back a bit to suit me better but they might still could be considered mini-apes.
you wish! stock heritages are 10-12 range thus considered "minis"

Quick Reply: Apes. . . what's the deal?