Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes. . . what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 03:15 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Apes. . . what's the deal?

ORIGINAL: miketami

I tell everyone I know that apes suck, they are uncomfortable and they look like crap. I only have them on my bike because I cant find a sawzall blade to cut them off with.
I like those apes also. ARe those 14or 16" apes.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

next time you pull up beside a rider with apes at a light, ask him why he's shaking circulation back into his hands.
if I ever have the pleasure of riding w/ya huff I'll make sure I'm shaking them real close to your head.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:20 PM
wisemx
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Apes put you in the proper, Angel postion, so you're ready just in case you do hit that wall.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:20 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Man I'm gettin the fever worst talking about apes on figuring out what I want to do with all this talk.
I'm trying to git back in shape from riding 500 miles in 10 hours saturday with my stops.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:31 PM
miketami
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: cardboard

ORIGINAL: miketami

I tell everyone I know that apes suck, they are uncomfortable and they look like crap. I only have them on my bike because I cant find a sawzall blade to cut them off with.
I like those apes also. ARe those 14or 16" apes.
they are 16" chubbies

Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Like yer air breather too. I like skulls. Got one on my arm, old lady is crying she don't want them on my bike. But I'm gonna stickem on it and she knows it.
How tall are you ? I'm 5'10" 194lbs.
I seen a dude come to the bar a few weeks ago. He was about6'9" tall, he had a big set of apes on his EG. I tripped out.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:42 PM
Stache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My biggest issue with them is ciculation. If all you pretty much do is ride around town or bar hop, its no big deal. You are out to be seen and hang with your buds on what you think is a cool looking bike. No prob there.

I often ride for hours on end. If you simply walk around with your hands over your head or above your heart for a few hours, your hands will go numb.

Haveing said that, I have sat some bikes with apes, maybe not real radical or extra tall apes, but apes non the less. Due to rake, seat height etc. my hands were still at or near heart level, even with the apes. Point being, other design factors play a part in overall rider comfort. Not mention the individuals size. Someone 6'7" just might find a certain ape setup very comfortable while someone 5'4" would feel like they have been hung out on a clothes line.

Even my Heratige comes stock with signifint rise in the bars. I haven't measured but I'm guessing 18" or more. I've pulled them back a bit to suit me better but they might still could be considered mini-apes.

Anyway .. lots of factors. Style and comfort being the major ones and both are very personal, individual and specific to the rider.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking a set of 14" apes would put my hands in a great spot on my WG, I do think short people with their arms stretched out above their heads look silly, of course leaning forward to reach your drag bars looks just as stupid. Just my .02. Ride what you like and is comfortable to you.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:54 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Yep ! The 14" was more on what I was thinking about. Wanted to stay with the 1 1/4 bars oh. The apes pull me up better and don't let me be as lazy as I am.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:34 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Quick Reply: Apes. . . what's the deal?