General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes. . . what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:32 PM
AzDon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Apes. . . what's the deal?

Low, fat,deco, road glide style bike with the chrome-enclosed headlight and short forks and big fat front fender...... usually ridden by a guy 5'4" with apes 6" over his head....... Looks like zero control to me, like the sensation would be that you're perched on top of something low while reaching for the sky for control......No cooler outlaw look, though, and some riders must like the ride or you wouldn't see bikes done that way. Not something I'd do, but it looks bitchen!

Old 08-27-2007, 02:44 PM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

next time you pull up beside a rider with apes at a light, ask him why he's shaking circulation back into his hands.
Funny thing that doesn't happen to me. My apes are right at, or maybe slightly above my shoulders.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How have I made is riding a bike since 1964 without knowing how to countersteer. I'm sure its a great thing. But something I do not see myslef learning. If it came down to having to learn how to countersteer or gitting off my bike. I would sell my H-D, Not !

Sorry guys but I can't go to yer club. I just don't countersteer. I ride the way I ride and that's it.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:48 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

To Ape or not to Ape, that is the question. To countersteer or not to countersteer. That's question also. Heh ! Heh !

Old 08-27-2007, 02:55 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: cardboard

How have I made is riding a bike since 1964 without knowing how to countersteer. I'm sure its a great thing. But something I do not see myslef learning. If it came down to having to learn how to countersteer or gitting off my bike. I would sell my H-D, Not !

Sorry guys but I can't go to yer club. I just don't countersteer. I ride the way I ride and that's it.
No, you're doing fine. It's just that you don't understand what countersteering is. Take it from a guy whose been riding for about 65 years and is a former MSF instructor, you countersteer but just don't realize it. Like I've suggested before, if you didn't countersteer you could only go straight at highway speeds and the first curve you came to you would either have to countersteer or die. Do a little research.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:01 PM
darkside
Banned

Way more comfortable to me. I don't hunch over and get a kiink in my back or neck with them on.Some guys kinda go overboard but who am I to say what they are comfortable with.As far as them being for posers? Hey whatever you have to think to make yourself feel cooler than others is fine with me. I,ve been called worse that's for sure.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:02 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Yer the 2nd MSF instructor that told me I'm doing fine. The 1st one listened to me while I had my wife last december at the class and he said if you have been riding since 1964 legally , I don't suggest for you to try to change anything. Just enjoy yerself.
I listen to my friends talk about it and it screws with my mind trying to visulize how to do things backwards.
Thanks for the encouragement.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:03 PM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cardboard

Sorry Cardboard, you're part of the club whether you like it or not. Just cause you don't realize you're countersteering doesn't mean you're not doing it. Like Whaap said, if you're not countersteering, you're going straight. Any time you reach speeds above around 12mph and going into a corner or swerving, you're countersteering; it's not something that you're really aware of, it's intuitive.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:05 PM
miketami
Cruiser

I tell everyone I know that apes suck, they are uncomfortable and they look like crap. I only have them on my bike because I cant find a sawzall blade to cut them off with.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:11 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: darkside

Way more comfortable to me. I don't hunch over and get a kiink in my back or neck with them on.Some guys kinda go overboard but who am I to say what they are comfortable with.As far as them being for posers? Hey whatever you have to think to make yourself feel cooler than others is fine with me. I,ve been called worse that's for sure.
Those bars really make yer bike look good. I've got a set of 1 1/4 mini apes. I'm still looking on what I want for a set of ape bars before I git them. Going to my indy shop friday to git my brakes changed. They got some bars I can put up against mine to see if they got any I like.

Quick Reply: Apes. . . what's the deal?