Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes. . . what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 07:19 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default RE: Apes. . . what's the deal?

ORIGINAL: MarAgt

Like these?

That looks like it's been photoshopped. How could you ever turn with those?

Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 07:37 AM
cwilks
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SgtThump

ORIGINAL: MarAgt

Like these?

That looks like it's been photoshopped. How could you ever turn with those?

Chris

That's the REAL deal Sarge.......I see the dude all over and he's at the annual Rat Ride at Jack's Iron Horse Saloon evry year!!! Its a trip...sometimes he pulls in with his lady standing on the seat between his legs and him working the foot controls....too strange to believe

Old 11-29-2007, 07:42 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: cwilks

That's the REAL deal Sarge.......I see the dude all over and he's at the annual Rat Ride at Jack's Iron Horse Saloon evry year!!! Its a trip...sometimes he pulls in with his lady standing on the seat between his legs and him working the foot controls....too strange to believe
Ha ha, no kidding? DANG! I'll have to watch for that guy. Those pipes are borderline hilarious too. lol

Old 11-29-2007, 07:46 AM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: 3power

What's the purpose of riding with ape-hangers? Or is it just for looks? Please don't take offense to this if you have apes, I am just curious since I've been seeing them more and more lately.
It's all about looking cool and tough. Watch the apes and monkeys in the zoo. What do they do when they are trying to scare another primate? They throw their arms up in the air.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:48 AM
cwilks
Banned

ORIGINAL: SgtThump

Ha ha, no kidding? DANG! I'll have to watch for that guy. Those pipes are borderline hilarious too. lol
Sarge,

The Rat Ride at Jack'sis always the first Sunday of October......its the biggest event of the year (as far asparties go) check it out next year....he'll be there

Old 11-29-2007, 07:57 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Sarge,

The Rat Ride at Jack'sis always the first Sunday of October......its the biggest event of the year (as far asparties go) check it out next year....he'll be there
Cool! I'll be attending a few things next Spring/Summer for sure. I'm ready to get more involved now, but I'll go ahead with the MSF class as early as possible next year to get my license before taking it too far...

Chris

Old 11-29-2007, 08:02 AM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

Funny to see this post this morning. Haven't read all the replies, so sorry if I'm repeating. I was reading an excerpt in my Harley Davidson Reader book last night from Sonny Barger talking about the things they used to do to their bikes in the early days of Hells Angels in CA. One of the topics he talks about is the apes and how the local LEO's quickly passed legislation against apes above shoulder height in an attempt to slap them a bit. One of his comments that I had never thought about was a comparison to the hand height of the typical driver in a cage and that most drivers have their hand sitting on top of the steering wheel, which normally puts their hands at or above their shoulders. I'm not running out to order apes for my scoot, but hadn't looked at it from that angle before.....

Old 11-29-2007, 09:12 AM
SpringerDude
Tourer

I wish someone with some serious money and an interest in legal fights would get nailed for riding with "unsafe" apes. Seems like the state should be able to prove that something is dangerous with professional testing. I get the idea that the state just passes "safety" laws based on perception rather than evidence and that these laws stay on the books because no one has the means or the interest in challenging them.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:18 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: wisemx

Apes put you in the proper, Angel postion, so you're ready just in case you do hit that wall.
Now that's freaking LMAO funny.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:19 AM
spikehyre
Road Master

ORIGINAL: AzDon

Low, fat,deco, road glide style bike with the chrome-enclosed headlight and short forks and big fat front fender...... usually ridden by a guy 5'4" with apes 6" over his head....... Looks like zero control to me, like the sensation would be that you're perched on top of something low while reaching for the sky for control......No cooler outlaw look, though, and some riders must like the ride or you wouldn't see bikes done that way. Not something I'd do, but it looks bitchen!
Whoa, for a minute I thought you were describing me....I had mini apes, actually DWG bars on an 04 sporty and it was very comfortable and my hands never went to sleep. It looked great.

Quick Reply: Apes. . . what's the deal?