Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes. . . what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:13 AM
meatballs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Apes. . . what's the deal?

Move to Iowa, nothing is illigal.Apes can be as tall as you want, bike can be as loud as you want, no helmet required, no turn signals required, no eye protection required.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most people must be scared of a bike or have a hard time handling it. You just hole on to the ape bars and lean a little and use the gas to make the bike do the work.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 AM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bradhinz

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

there are reasons they are illegal everywhere!!!!
They are not illegal everywhere. It depends on the height of the bars, your hands can't be higher than your shoulders.
Anything over 12 or 14 inches above the front seat is illegal in Texas. Yep the Harley sells bikes that are illegal. The street bob and wide glide to name just two. There might be a few more but I haven't measured any of them, thats just what the dealership guy said after he said my bike wouldn't pass inspection and before he put my new inspection sticker on the bike.
I did look up the TX law and it did say that about the height, but its a gray area on where to start measuring from on the front seat.
I say who cares put whatever you like on YOUR bike. Me I like the looks and the position and comfort. Also Anybody in ATX wanna swap for a short ride I don't mind either (but mine are just 12.5") about sholder height for me.
Jeff

Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Mark in Parts at Texan H-Dhas a awful large set on his bike, his bike passes fine.
I'm in the process of sticking some 14" Apes on my bike as we speak. There's a lot of people that come to the Hilltop from all over Texas with 16" and larger. They all seem to git a inspection sticker on theirs.
Course we don't live in the Big City and pay the big city folks to tell us how to do it. We spend our money somewhere else and let the city folksknow we are unhappy .
We have the city, county , and state police up here and they don't bother us for stuff like that. They have better things to do than to enforce a law like that.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:49 AM
fxst00
Tourer

You misunderstood me. He said it wouldn't pass then he passed it. I have never had a problem with my bars. Also I probally paid the same amount you did or do for my inspection. I was just making a pont with the Street bob and Wide glide that they "legelally" shouldn't pass inspection. And if a cop has it out for bikes he could use it against us, but most don't know what the law says and don't care.

If you think of Austin as the "BIG CITY"you might not want to drive about 50 miles south and go to Houston, you might poop your pants [sm=icon_sneaky.gif] There are +'S and -'s to both I know, grew up in a small town outside of Austin and its getting harder and further out to find that atmosphere outside of Austin and more expensive.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:03 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

50 miles south of me is the city of Humble. 35 miles below that is Houston. My wife works there.
Drove down Hiway 190 to Huntsville 2 weeks ago, got on Hiway 30 past Rome Prarie past Hiway 90 to WF fitch road to Hiway 6, up threw Bryan, to Hearne. Got on Hiway 79 and rode threw Rockdale, and threw Round Rock and got on Hiway I-35 and drove down below Hiway 71 to Cowboy Harley. 251 miles one way.
Sorry but I think I-35 is worst than any road houston has. Yer traffic is bad. I talked to Harrison at Cowboy who used to work for STubbs in Houston and he agrees.
1st time I've ever heard a stock street bob or wide glide has bars too high. . Wonder who voted this stupid law in.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:22 AM
fxst00
Tourer

I live just a few miles from Cowboy and you are correct I-35 sucks ***. You can and will hit traffic and God willing not (get) hit by an idiot. Doesn't matter traffic through downtown on a Sunday afternoon. Our rush hour on 35 starts at 6am and goes to about 8pm. [sm=icon_rofl.gif] Don't let that ruin your view of Austin area though. The Hill country is some awesome riding, I'm sure you have made it down for a ROT or two. If not you should and is always a fun time.

Did you buy the 1 1/4 inch bars and are you going to run your wires internally. If so I used weed eater string and just added the extension kit to the wires under the tank and was a real simple and fast job.
Good luck and if you have any questions there a a ton of threads about wiring handle bars that you can find with a quick search that can help you I know it did me.
Jeff

Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

Was on i-35 at 1:30 on saturday and it was a parklin lot.
Yep I got the Wild1 14" 1 1/4 Ape bars.1 1/4 bars came stock on my bike. Waiting on the kit for the risers and all the +6 cables and the wire kit. Don't think they will comein till next week.

Ain't got anybody to help me so I'm taking it up to V-Twins in Trinity to let the dudes at the Indy shop do it.

Never took the time to go to the hill country. I live in the Piney woods of East Texas. I mainly hang out within 200 miles or so from here. Call me Lazy !

Old 09-05-2007, 04:26 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Texas law is 12" above seat. Dumazz law fortunately not enforced but hanging over our head in case they decide they don't like us. I-35 in Austin is baad but southwest freeway in Houston is worse. So is loop 610 in Westheimer area in Houston. The Hill Country is the best bike riding area in Texas, bar none.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:32 PM
izzi
Road Master

Quick Reply: Apes. . . what's the deal?