General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

am i gonna be hassled?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 07:25 AM
garydogwood
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i gonna be hassled?

wife and i are leaving next sunday for the 4 corner states. we are not going to denver but are going around the south west part of colorado, northern new mexico and SE utah. i recently put a set of V&H big shots on my bike (with stage I air filter and power commander). bike is running great but i sure seems loud to me. i've heard that denver has a "loud pipes" ordinence but if i stay away from there will i be pulled over for my non-stock pipes? I do not rev the engine in town or call undue attention to myself.are the big shots really that loudor am i just not used to the louder than stock sound? do yoj think i will be pulled over for mynon-stock pipes in the other areas mentioned above (assuming i don't make an *** ofmyself).

gw

Old 08-27-2007, 07:29 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: am i gonna be hassled?

I live in the Four Corners, and in my experience you will not have any porblems if you don't act like an azz and bring attention to yourself.

If you are interested in meeting for a beverage, let me know and maybe we can get together. I am riding all around Utah this weekend.

Bill

Old 08-27-2007, 07:34 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm planning a ride to Colorado Springs to see my buddy first part of Oct. Gonna put on my RB Racing LSR 2-1 pipe on when it arrives and hope for the best.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 AM
Fastlane
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's BS that the motorcycle industry has let it get to the point that you have to even have to ask about this because you do not have stock pipes! I wonder what V&H and the other companies are going to be selling in a few years. V&H told me anything but OEM is illegal.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Fastlane

It's BS that the motorcycle industry has let it get to the point that you have to even have to ask about this because you do not have stock pipes! I wonder what V&H and the other companies are going to be selling in a few years. V&H told me anything but OEM is illegal.

In all of my years as a rider/racer, I have not seen too many aftermarlet parts that do not say "For off road/closed course use only." I think it absolves the aftermarket form liability, and at the same time, gives law enforcement a way to nail you if you act like an azz.

I regularly ride Quad runners in the dunes at Silver Lake in Michigan. They were to begin using db meters there to keep the noise levels down. Yet, since they have started that program, I have never once been tested. I act like I have been there before, and follow ALL of the rules there. I think this same thing applies to the roads and highways. Play by the rules, and the cops will not even notice you. I don't know about Denver, or the other places, but anywhere else I have been, my pipes have not been an issue. I just ride likeI wish others would ride, and it serves me well.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:31 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

This is not just a Motorcycle Industry issue. It is also illegal to change the exhaust on passanger cars and most muffler shops will not do it. It has been that way for quite some time and is just now getting around to motorcycles.

A lot of the recent push is a direct result of people thinking that it is okay to create a disturbance with loud pipes, and that they have some right to impose their noise on others.

Bill

Old 08-27-2007, 05:10 PM
starbiker99
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in Parker which is a suburb of Denver and I just avoid the city limits if all possible. Their new law is not just a noise deal nut an EPA deal. A LEO can pull you over for any aftermarket exhaust be it loud or not and check for the EPA stamp ($500 fine if no stamp present). The law has been in effect since July 1st and I have only crossed into Denver once. I just put V&H BSS on my new bike and have no plans to ride through Denver. Since your not plaaning to go to Denver you should have no trouble.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, you will be hassled (if you keep asking questions like this).

Old 08-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: billnourse

This is not just a Motorcycle Industry issue. It is also illegal to change the exhaust on passanger cars and most muffler shops will not do it. It has been that way for quite some time and is just now getting around to motorcycles.

A lot of the recent push is a direct result of people thinking that it is okay to create a disturbance with loud pipes, and that they have some right to impose their noise on others.

Bill
Loud pipes save lives. Learn it, know it, live it.[/blockquote]

Old 08-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I think if you avoid the concrete canyon part of downtown Denver you shouldn't have any trouble. I imagine that part of this ordinance was a reaction to loud bikes in the downtown area where any loud noise is trapped between buildings. Imagine a bike withaftermarket / straight / un-baffled pipesand a dikhead driver trying to make enemies and you have amixture that'll pizz off anyone.

I have a lot of friends who drive through the Denver 'metro' area (composed of several cities) and haven't been hassled. Like my buddy Bill says, if'n you make an azz of yourself you're sure to get noticed.

Quick Reply: am i gonna be hassled?