General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slower Traffic Keep Right !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:58 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Slower Traffic Keep Right !!

This rule of the road is supposed to apply to everyone, yes, even motorcycles, including cool ones like Harleys. I was riding shotgun in my buddy's Expedition from Atlanta to Bristol and back Saturday and Sunday for the NASCAR race. There was a HOG event in Knoxville so we encountered many groups of from 3 to 5 Harleys cruising on the interstates. At least half a dozen times, these bikes were in the far left lane going barely 5MPH over the speed limit causing traffic to back up behind them and make passes on the right. Even when there was plenty of opportunity, they wouldn't move over and looked at us with plenty of attitude when we finally moved around them on the right. I love to ride but they were even pissing me off. C'mon guys and gals - enjoy the ride but follow the rules of the road and think about how you represent all motorcyclists when you're out riding. I've read plenty of rants about "cagers" doing this same thing on these forums so it ought to apply to bikers as well.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:47 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Slower Traffic Keep Right !!

I agree. It did nothing but create anxious drivers behind them. But, when it comes down to it....follow the rules of the road? Them already going 5 over wasn't fast enuff for ya??

Old 08-27-2007, 07:52 AM
AwfHand
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The left lane is for passing. Don't be a rock in the waterfall, 'cause sometimes they get rolled.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:00 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They probably think they're being "kool". Azzholes can ride what ever they want and Harleys aren't exempt from their ownership.!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:13 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: CSI Topeka

I agree. It did nothing but create anxious drivers behind them. But, when it comes down to it....follow the rules of the road? Them already going 5 over wasn't fast enuff for ya??
I was waiting for someone to lecture me on that point. It has absolutely nothing to do with the speed limit. The safest thing is to observe the flow of traffic on the road you're on. It doesn't matter if most drivers are going 10 over or 10 under, slower traffic should move right and allow faster traffic to move left for passing!

Old 08-27-2007, 08:16 AM
kjmorgan
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: whaap

They probably think they're being "kool". Azzholes can ride what ever they want and Harleys aren't exempt from their ownership.!!!
I never intended to label them as Azzholes - just kind of rude and unobservant to what was going on around them and giving motorcyclists a bad rep that day. Of course maybe there's not much difference between your definition and mine!

Old 08-27-2007, 09:02 AM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pretty sure when taking the driver test,,,one answer was Keep right except to pass......Camping in the left lane is just down right lazy....also passing on the right is against the law....its only gonna get worse....

Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here in Oklahoma,everyone believes that it's their God given right to drive exclusively in the left lane.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:24 AM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

Here in Oklahoma,everyone believes that it's their God given right to drive exclusively in the left lane.
And here in Illinois, it is everyone's god given right to ride the *** of the person in front of them, even though the person in front IS stuck behind someone else who is going too slow in the left lane. WTF is the purpose of riding my *** if it is obvious that the guy in front of me is the one holding things up. (this happens a lot when overtakingtractor trailers)

Oh yeah,when I leave space between myself and the next car, this is NOT an invitation for some inpatient a-holeto jamHIS car in between mine and the guy in front of me.

All I ask is a tiny bit of patience from other drivers. When I'm in my Superduty, and I get a tailgater, I slow down, period. I will not trip over myself to get out of someones way if it isn't safe to do so. If I am in the left lane, I am there for a reason. I'll get over immediately when it is safe to do so.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of my pet peeves regardless of what type of vehicle is doing it. Personally, I would rather pull over into the right lane than block traffic on my bike, causing impatient drivers to swing around me as soon as there is an opening - not too safe or too bright.

Quick Reply: Slower Traffic Keep Right !!