General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slower Traffic Keep Right !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:25 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Slower Traffic Keep Right !!

friggin bikers!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:27 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

AZ Don-Note the bold portion

Here is the law as it applies in IL:
Thanks to a new law crafted by State Rep. John Millner (R-St. Charles), a former police chief himself, safer and more courteous driving on Illinois' highways will be more than every driver's wish. _The "left lane bill," House Bill 1574, will be the law of Illinois starting January 1, 2004.

Illinois law already states that on Interstate highways a vehicle must drive in the right lane, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle. Still many drivers ignore this law and drive at slow speeds in the left lane, creating traffic congestion and decreasing safety.

Instead, our new law prohibits detaining traffic in the left lane on Interstate highways._ The legislation outlines specific situations where it is not in violation of the new law to remain in the left lane. They are:__
[ul][*]when passing another vehicle[*]when no other vehicle is directly behind the vehicle in the left lane,[*]when traffic conditions and congestion make it impractical to drive in the right lane;[*]when snow or other inclement weather conditions make it necessary to drive in the left lane;[*]when obstructions or hazards exist in the right lane;[*]when approaching an emergency vehicle or highway construction area;[*]when exiting the highway from the left lane;[*]when it is necessary to use I-PASS or to comply with an official traffic control device; or[*]when changing lanes to avoid law enforcement vehicles, emergency vehicles, highway maintenance vehicles, and workers or personnel. [/ul]

_I've been asked if one is driving the speed limit in the left lane and cars come up form behind speeding, is the car in the left lane at fault._ If one is detaining traffic in the left, it is their obligation to move over to the right._ The lead car in the left is not responsible to be the enforcer of the law, not to be the hall monitor._ It would be their obligation to get out of the left lane and let the law enforcement officials ticket the speeders. I've had people tell me that they like to drive in the left lane because it is smoother than the deteriorated right lane. That's all well and good, but if one is detaining traffic in the left, move over, let them pass, and then go back to the left._ Lead foot drivers . . . beware!

Old 08-27-2007, 04:37 PM
narosar
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slower traffic to the right lanes, does not matter if you are at the speed limit or above, if you are holding up the flow, get over. Supposedly you'll get a ticket for holding up the flow of traffic and acting like a hall monitor but what are the odds of ya getting caught with the number of highway patrol.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

I like it when there is a cop on the highway, and everyone slows down to his speed.
Amazingly enough - I'm not surprised!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: AzDon

I'm going to give you the counterpoint to the original post and it won't be popular, and that's just too bad.....
Most states allow you to homestead the left lane ONLY if you are going THE FULL SPEED LIMIT OR FASTER. Since you stated that they were going five over, they were within their rights. The main benefits of left lane travel are:
1) You only have to contend with lane change traffic crossing in from the right
2) you don't have to deal with onramp/offramp traffic
3) you aren't going to have some a-hole running alongside on your left at your speed scraping you off on the next slow vehicle you overtake or running you into the next slow vehicle getting on the freeway.
4)you generally have somewhere to escape to the left if things get ugly
5) you can generally maintain the best following distance because you only have others invading your following distance from one side

When I'm big-truckin westbound out of Phoenix, I set my cruise on 78 and get in the left lane. Anybody that wants to pass can do it on my right when space allows. They will either get-it-done or THEY will be the one scraped off. I'm even willing to slow slightly for someone to finish the pass if they display ability and willingness. If I ran the right lane, I'd be unable to maintain my speed because of all the lane switching and other motorists trying to "scrape me off".
It's my guess thatthis thread's originator iseither one of those people that always wants to be ahead, no matter the speed ORis one of the larger group that only "BELIEVES" that they want to be ahead, but realize they could get a speeding ticket out there, once they've almost got it(so they hang NEXT TO the actual "big dog").
I'm sure my left lane runnin doesn't win me any popularity contest, but it also results in ZERO lane changing confrontations!
Please understand the tactic for it's positive effect of keeping traffic moving smoothly without a lot of excessive lane changing. I would suggest that if left lane travellers are five over and there is too much traffic to smoothly pass on their right, then traffic is really too heavy to be tryin to go much faster anyway!

BTW; It's not illegal to pass in a lane to the right and if Joe Schmo's wife is in labor, he should call an ambulance rather than endanger her
Hmmm...call an ambulance rather than endanger her. Not sure about where you live, but you could wait an awful long time for an ambulance. I drove my wife to the hospital all three times - oooooh the danger! Don't even get me started on truck drivers!!! You guys break more laws than ANYONE on the road! It IS illegal to pass on the right in some places.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: HarleyWood

I run the super slab back and forth to work. The speed limit id 65 mph, and there is three lanes in each direction (the speed limit is the same for all of them), I like to run about 70 - 75mph if traffic permits and I leave room in front which always gets "mistaken" for some *** hat to squeeze in and hit the brakes.

I'm generally in the left lane, not because I'm being an ***, but because thats the only spot that gives me an "out" when the **** hits the fan in front of me. There is room to pull to the center against the k-rail.

If i'm rolling with traffic and someone comes up behind, I'll move over if its safe, but I won't crowd someone else just to appear nice to someone behind.me. The problem is when someone comes up behind fast, its best to let them go around rather than guess if they are going to jump into the right lane at the same time I do on the bike, more often than ot they are looking over their shoulder so that they can blow by on the right and then squeeze in that little space in front of me.

Out on the big interstate two lane highways, I can see the reasoning for traffic to be in the right lane and leave the left open and I do that. But in town when you have muliple lanes to accomodate traffic, expecting others to leave the left lane open is unreasonable IMO.

A little common sense and courtesy would go a lot further towards getting everyone where they want to be safe and sound. Both of which seem to be in short supply in most cities I've driven/ridden in.
I'm with Harleywood.

I posted a thread a while back where I complained that it would be nice to NOT be pushed at 90 and that I had been over run by a couple of racers on the Freeway (in that area 3 lanes per side)...I was in the left lane going the speed of traffic or greater when the Corvette and some other speedster ran up my @ss at 100 + miles per hour.I was told in the thread that the left lane is only for passing and I should have moved however it was unsafe to move at the time. It was a 3 lane freeway and I had just dropped out of the carpool lane.

Sorry folks I hate to say it but the speed limit on my section of freeway is 65 no matter what lane I am in.Granted we all tend to go faster (heck I often run 70 to 80), but I'm sorry if you are late for work or what ever I will not move out of your way just because you think you need to do 90 to 100. If I am impeding traffic on a 2 lane or a twisty road, or even a freewayI will move, but if I am riding legal and not impedeing anyone but the impatiant twit behind me then he/she is out of luck until it is safe for me to move...period.. If your going to be late leave earlier don't infringe on the right of the other drivers to abide by the law and enjoy thier drive.. 90 % of the timethe impatience of that twit is an accident waiting to happen.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here in Florida there are signs all over the highway, "Slower Trafic Keep Right:" The sign does not say if your going 5 over you can stay in the left.

So stop being stupid and get your azz out of my way!!!!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Pablo22
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DocHarley

Here in Florida there are signs all over the highway, "Slower Trafic Keep Right:" The sign does not say if your going 5 over you can stay in the left.

Ride on Doc, Ride on!

Old 08-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Bluerose

That is a general rule of the road...in some places it's even mandatory....but that sign does not mean that 70 - 75 is slower traffic if the speed limit is 65 and the other lane(s) is doing 65 - 70just because you want to do 90.

Old 08-27-2007, 06:52 PM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Counterpoint - I'd be willing to bet that there are these other signs, which say "Maximum Speed 65 MPH" or something along those lines. Just sayin'....

Quick Reply: Slower Traffic Keep Right !!