General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back from our West Virginia trip...Pics included

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007 | 12:29 PM
Bighorse
Road Captain
Default RE: Back from our West Virginia trip...Pics included

Nice pictures. I'm ready to move!

Old 08-29-2007 | 12:41 PM
flht69
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ironhorselady

They parachute off the bridge once a year-not bungee jump.
Actually they do both along with a little hand gliding. On that one day a year they have a big shindig. I have friends that go camping down there a couple of days before the big day. It used to be just the Base Jumpers and fliers that showed up but now it has turned into a big commercial event.

Here is a little more info on Bridge Day!
http://www.officialbridgeday.com/index.html

Old 08-29-2007 | 12:44 PM
jimmyz
Tourer

Thanks for sharing the Great pics! looks like you had a good time. JimmyZ

Old 08-29-2007 | 07:48 PM
raftgyde
Road Master

ORIGINAL: flht69

Actually they do both along with a little hand gliding. On that one day a year they have a big shindig. I have friends that go camping down there a couple of days before the big day. It used to be just the Base Jumpers and fliers that showed up but now it has turned into a big commercial event.

Actually YOU'RE WRONG! They do Base Jumping (parachuting) and Rapelling. It's done on Bridge Day each year which is the third Saturday in October. Recently they've begun High Lining, sliding 700' down a rope from the catwalk to the Fayette Station road.

Now, READ MY LIPS! There is NO bungee jumping. It slows things down to much. It takes 45 minutes to stage a bungee jump from the bridge. In that wasted time, 120 base jumpers could have jumped and landed -- so they don't bungee jump. Since the bridge was completed, there have been 11 bungee jumps. Once around 1991 was by the head of the World Bungee Jumping Association. He said he was going to drink from the river. He missed by about 200'. A year later, it was the Board of Directors of the World Bungee Jumping Association. Seven of them around a table jumped and dropped about 500'. Then the Chairman jumped from the table. He missed again; this time by 100'. Several years later, there were 2 more jumps. One with 12 people at once, followed by 4 more. The only other jumps were about seven by a Chevy S-10 Blazer. You may have seen the commercial. They had planned to drop it off the bridge a dozen times that day but had to stop when the bungee cords began to fray.

There is NO hang gliding on Bridge Day. Hang gliders would be a hazard to the base jumpers and I can guarantee they would be arrested by the Park Service the second they hit the ground. You probably misheard what your friends were telling you about how the base jumpers fly (or glide) their chutes across the the river to the beach on river left.

Bridge Day has pretty much always been a commercial affair for the town of Fayetteville, WV. The year of the first Bridge Day, 1980, there were only 5 base jumpers. The next year, there were 10. Finally in '84, there were 300.

Old 08-29-2007 | 07:56 PM
raftgyde
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

We rode Rt 60 from Hico off of Rt 19 all the way to Marmet. It is a nice mix of mountain twisties and nice senic river views. I don't know how the other end is but it might be worth checking out. Here are some other rides you may want to consider. Click here
Well Monstermile, I hope you stopped and checked out The Mystery Hole, where the Laws of Gravity are defied on a daily basis, April thru October.
[align=center]

[/align]

Old 08-29-2007 | 09:03 PM
ironhorselady
Road Master

ORIGINAL: raftgyde

ORIGINAL: flht69

Actually YOU'RE WRONG! They do Base Jumping (parachuting) and Rapelling. It's done on Bridge Day each year which is the third Saturday in October. Recently they've begun High Lining, sliding 700' down a rope from the catwalk to the Fayette Station road.

Now, READ MY LIPS! There is NO bungee jumping. It slows things down to much. It takes 45 minutes to stage a bungee jump from the bridge. In that wasted time, 120 base jumpers could have jumped and landed -- so they don't bungee jump. Since the bridge was completed, there have been 11 bungee jumps. Once around 1991 was by the head of the World Bungee Jumping Association. He said he was going to drink from the river. He missed by about 200'. A year later, it was the Board of Directors of the World Bungee Jumping Association. Seven of them around a table jumped and dropped about 500'. Then the Chairman jumped from the table. He missed again; this time by 100'. Several years later, there were 2 more jumps. One with 12 people at once, followed by 4 more. The only other jumps were about seven by a Chevy S-10 Blazer. You may have seen the commercial. They had planned to drop it off the bridge a dozen times that day but had to stop when the bungee cords began to fray.

There is NO hang gliding on Bridge Day. Hang gliders would be a hazard to the base jumpers and I can guarantee they would be arrested by the Park Service the second they hit the ground. You probably misheard what your friends were telling you about how the base jumpers fly (or glide) their chutes across the the river to the beach on river left.

Bridge Day has pretty much always been a commercial affair for the town of Fayetteville, WV. The year of the first Bridge Day, 1980, there were only 5 base jumpers. The next year, there were 10. Finally in '84, there were 300.

Oh my! Thanks for championing me, sweetie! May I again offer our hospitality for this part of WV to anyone out there? Monstermile, RaftGyde would have loved taking you or anyone else on a tour in this part of the country that he loves beyond anywhere else on the face of the earth. You might have picked up on this! LOL He knows every road, restaurant, nook, cranny, etc. etc. and 1/2 the people that live and work there.

More than that, he knows every eddy, rapid and rock in those rivers. If you've ever been on a whitewater raft trip, you know it's a whole day (or longer) affair. Part of his job as a raft guide is to entertain people on the long stretches of flat water. Jokes, myths and the history of the river and surrounding area (including the BRIDGE!) are a must for a successful guide. This is the love of his life. Well, besides me. And his bike.
[font=arial]

Old 08-29-2007 | 09:15 PM
Garemlin
|
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: raftgyde

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

We rode Rt 60 from Hico off of Rt 19 all the way to Marmet. It is a nice mix of mountain twisties and nice senic river views. I don't know how the other end is but it might be worth checking out. Here are some other rides you may want to consider. Click here
Well Monstermile, I hope you stopped and checked out The Mystery Hole, where the Laws of Gravity are defied on a daily basis, April thru October.
[align=center]

[/align]
No we missed that. I'll be sure to check it out on our next trip to the area.