General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for members in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 08:27 AM
jv225
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question for members in Hawaii

Hi guys my wife and I are going on our Honeymoon to Hawaii in Feb. We got married in August but I'm a contractor and I'm way to busy that time of year to take 2 weeks off. Gotta make money while I can ya know. She really wanted to go to Hawaii plus it just so happens I'm a huge football fan and the Probowl is in Feb. Some coinincidence huh? We'll be on Oahu for 5 days and Maui for 4 days. The riding season is almost over here in Upstate ny considering I rode in the snow yesterday [:@] So I know by Feb I'll really be dieing to ride.So I figured We'd rent a bike. So now for my questions.
Do you guys know the best place to rent a bike on Oahu? I'm thinking I want to rent one for 2-3 days. I did a search on google and came up with a lot of places but I thought maybe you locals would know of a small family business or something that I didn't come across or doesn't have a website or whatever. I ride a DWG here but I'm thinking I'll rent a RK since that will probably be my next bike and that will give me some time to really check them out. The wife doesn't care what kind of bike we rent as long as it has a sissy bar she says she won't ride without one
So if you guys have any info for me on that or any tips on cool places to ride or any places to check out while I'm there that aren't so mainstream and populated like some of the spots you see on tv that would really be appreciated.

Thanks a lot for the help
Jim

Old 11-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question for members in Hawaii

Rent a bike while you are in Maui and take the ride to Hana. It is one of the most beautiful places on earth!
Have fun and ride safe.
Aloha!

Old 11-22-2005, 07:41 AM
jv225
Road Master

Thanks that was my original plan but after looking at our reservations I remembered we had a rental car included with the hotel for the whole stay on Maui. I know it's not a harley but I figured I would save a few bucks and just get the bike on Oahu and still have transportation on both islands. Maybe I will get a bike for 1 day on Maui too. The best price I can find is about $150 a day so we'll see what happens.

Old 11-22-2005, 07:46 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

Whether riding or driving, be sure to visit the North shore of Oahu and watch the surfers. Great wave action!

Old 01-29-2006, 09:46 AM
jv225
Road Master

Thanks for the tips guys. Well twohulabears I decided to take your advice. I cancelled the car on Maui and got a Road King Custom for 3 days. I was looking at some maps and the road to Hana looks like an awesome ride. The ride up Haleakala Volcano looks great too. Check out this map http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/hi378.html . I figured I would get a bike on Oahu for 2 days too. So I started checking prices and a 3 day deal was about the same price as 2 days so one thing lead to another and I got a bike for 4 days there too I waited to long to book it so no one had a bike available for 4 days in a row so I got a RK for days 1 and 2 a Fatboy for day 3 and another RK for day 4. I've been thinking of adding a RKC to the stable so this will give me a good chance to check a couple different ones out. I almost bought a fatboy before I bought my WG so I figured I rent one of those too and check it out. We'll be there for 9 days and will have a bike for 7 I can't complain about that. I think it's just what I need I've been dying to ride. These upstate Ny winters are not kind to bikers. I'll make sure I get plenty of pics posted when I get back.
Jim

Old 01-29-2006, 10:23 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

3 days on Maui with a Harley? I am happy for you but yet for some reason I want to call you a jerk! Yes, I am jealous. If you have a Harley for 3 days on Maui you can do the whole island. One tip though, when you go to Hana it says on the map you have to turn around and go back the way you came. Don't do it. Go straight through and stop at the 7 Sacred pools. BEAUTIFUL! Then go on and you will go on the dry side of Maui which looks kinda like Texas but with hills and an ocean. Take it slow back there because there are some pot holes and watch out for the cows. They like to jump out in front of you, I think hoping you will stop and feed them. Yes, go up to Haleakala. Go up VERY early and catch the sunrise. Dress in layers though, because it gets cold at the top. That afternoon is a good time (after you come down from Haleakala) to ride into the West Maui Mountains. Another wonderful ride! Another great ride is going from Lahaina and going west around the mountains. Take it easy on the north side as the cliffs are high, and tight corners! I can't give you alot of advice on Oahu, except for to do your best to avoid rush HOURS traffic! There are a lot more places to ride on Oahu. Just plan on giving yourself plenty of time.

Damn! 9 days in Hawaii sure sounds good right now.
Aloha!
John

Old 08-05-2006, 01:21 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

jv225, where did you rent in Maui and now that you're back what can you recommend? I'm heading to Maui in October and haven't figured out who to rent from yet. Any thoughts? thanks.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:25 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

if you are budget conscious, you can rent a non-harley (shudder) for a lot less. i rented a fatboy on big island for $125 though. you will need a credit card for a $2500 deposit but they will only run the card thru an imprinter not thru the system so it will not be charged to you.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:18 PM
orangecrush
Outstanding HDF Member

The road to Hana is cool if you're coming from the North part of Maui and going south but I don't think you'll like the last stretch of road. We were in a jeep and the road beat the shiet out of us.

The seven pools...well, they weren't all that. It's a few pools of water with people unindated with people jumping into the water. Red sand beach (nude beach) and Big Beach were better than the pools.

Mark

Old 08-05-2006, 07:23 PM
softail2005
Road Captain

If you ever get a chance to get to Kauai, that is a fun place to rent a Harley. My wife and I did the trip up wamia canyon, which is their grand canyon. What a thrill. Kauai Harley treated us well. Two Wheels Harley its called. We did that in May of this year, I rented a Heirtage Softail, but they have any kind of Harley you could want. Have a great trip.

Lee

Quick Reply: Question for members in Hawaii